Author Topic: Where Was CIA’s Pompeo on Syria? - Consortium News  (Read 576 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Where Was CIA’s Pompeo on Syria? - Consortium News
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:03:51 pm »

Where Was CIA’s Pompeo on Syria?

April 8, 2017

Exclusive: As President Trump was launching his missile strike against Syria, CIA Director Pompeo and other intelligence officials weren’t at the table, suggesting their doubts about Bashar al-Assad’s guilt, reports Robert Parry.

By Robert Parry

There is a dark mystery behind the White House-released photo showing President Trump and more than a dozen advisers meeting at his estate in Mar-a-Lago after his decision to strike Syria with Tomahawk missiles: Where are CIA Director Mike Pompeo and other top intelligence officials?

Before the photo was released on Friday, a source told me that Pompeo had personally briefed Trump on April 6 about the CIA’s belief that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was likely not responsible for the lethal poison-gas incident in northern Syria two days earlier — and thus Pompeo was excluded from the larger meeting as Trump reached a contrary decision.

At the time, I found the information dubious since Trump, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and other senior U.S. officials were declaring quite confidently that Assad was at fault...

Continued: https://consortiumnews.com/2017/04/08/where-was-cias-pompeo-on-syria/

I really wonder if this is nothing more than fluff, they earn their salaries and there is not much credence here.

Offline endicom

Re: Where Was CIA’s Pompeo on Syria? - Consortium News
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:22:25 pm »
"Where are CIA Director Mike Pompeo and other top intelligence officials?"

Uhhh...not in Florida? Cuz they wuz in places like Virginia and stuff?

geronl

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:30:50 pm »
Trump wants to be surrounded by yes men.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 02:15:11 am »
"Where are CIA Director Mike Pompeo and other top intelligence officials?"

Uhhh...not in Florida? Cuz they wuz in places like Virginia and stuff?

On the screen at the end of the table in the photo. It was said in a couple of articles that Pompeo and a couple others participated by video call since they weren't in Florida.

Should happen more often, really. It's the 21st century - dropping everything (and delaying everything) to be physically present is no longer needed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 02:18:30 am »
On the screen at the end of the table in the photo. It was said in a couple of articles that Pompeo and a couple others participated by video call since they weren't in Florida.

Should happen more often, really. It's the 21st century - dropping everything (and delaying everything) to be physically present is no longer needed.

I thought that was just Pence that was off screen.  The author apparently did a lot of Iran Contra.

But have not heard Pompeo weigh in. 
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 02:29:32 am »
I thought that was just Pence that was off screen.  The author apparently did a lot of Iran Contra.

But have not heard Pompeo weigh in.

Been so many damned articles on this it's hard to track down any single one now. All I can remember, source wise, is it was what I'd call a hostile source and the slant was the security (or rather lack of) of a temporary situation room and why the economic advisors were there.

If I can find it again, I'll post it, of course.

Edit: Found it and my profound apologies - Pompeo was not mentioned. Mattis and Dunford were on video along with Pence. Note to self - double check things, you're tired.
Too much conflicting info.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:36:30 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 03:03:15 am »

But the Russians! The Russians! ;-)