Author Topic: Former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio is knocked down to size  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio is knocked down to size
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:34:52 pm »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/former-arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio-is-knocked-down-to-size/2017/04/07/dc51fb9c-1acc-11e7-855e-4824bbb5d748_story.html?utm_term=.7b27fbd43b1e&wpisrc=nl_opinionsA&wpmm=1#comments

Sensing the political advantage in harassing immigrants, he launched sweeps in Hispanic neighborhoods, making his office and the deputies who worked for him agents for racial profiling. The sweeps continued for more than a year after a federal judge ordered them halted, as Mr. Arpaio expressed his contempt for the judge’s authority.

In the end, Mr. Arpaio was passed over for various prominent jobs for which he was said to have been a candidate in the Trump administration. Finally, it is the sheriff who has been humiliated, and rightly so.

I've never been a fan of Arpaio and some of this wounds were self inflicted but I actually hope Trump pardon's him. The judge;s order isn't worth a bucket of warm piss.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio is knocked down to size
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:54:18 pm »
He lost sight of what his job was and became too focused on attention getting.

There is a lesson for David Clarke in that.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:32:42 am »
Sheriff Joe should have spent less time on TV or shouldn't have gone down the birther route.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:40:59 am »
He's also 84 years old; I'm sure he has the energy and stamina to do such jobs but he's not exactly a spring chicken.  He's a good man. Maybe he was manipulated to go down that birther road, let's not forget the Obama admin. went after him too. States should be able to enforce their borders and I'm not sure if that was racial profiling as said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:41:54 am by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:54:42 am »
One of the very few elected officials with enough integrity and spine to do the job for which he was elected, and you all complain about him?  Wow.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:56 am »
He's also 84 years old; I'm sure he has the energy and stamina to do such jobs but he's not exactly a spring chicken.
That's a point that shouldn't be lost here. Also consider that any job with the Trump administration would probably require him to relocate from Arizona to Washington, DC, something a man his age (and already living in a retirement haven like Arizona is) probably wouldn't want.

The WaPo would be well-advised to reconsider their gloating.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:08 am »
One of the very few elected officials with enough integrity and spine to do the job for which he was elected, and you all complain about him?  Wow.

Seems that the people who elected him chose to unelect him for some reason.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:49 am »

Yes, and....?

geronl

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:56:22 am »

he spent more time as a pundit than a sheriff

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 06:42:05 am »
That's a point that shouldn't be lost here. Also consider that any job with the Trump administration would probably require him to relocate from Arizona to Washington, DC, something a man his age (and already living in a retirement haven like Arizona is) probably wouldn't want.

The WaPo would be well-advised to reconsider their gloating.
Going from dry desert heat to the steambath of the tidal basin would be tough on anyone. I have worked in both environments, and 110 is easier to take in the desert than 85 in DC (90+% relative humidity in DC).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 06:45:27 am »
he spent more time as a pundit than a sheriff
One of my older (and somewhat miscreant) grandsons spent a little time as a guest of Maricopa County, pink skivvies and all. I laughed at him, and asked him if he was ever going to do that again.

He said he'd sooner get caught smuggling ice cubes into Hell than get in trouble in Maricopa County again. :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 07:27:50 am »

He said he'd sooner get caught smuggling ice cubes into Hell than get in trouble in Maricopa County again. :silly:

lol

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 09:42:59 am »

I advocated Trump pardon him, did you not see that?

A lot of his problems were self-inflicted. He said things on the campaign trail that he is now trying to get stricken from the trial. The federal judge's ruling was total BS and a huge overreach, but sometimes you need to keep your mouth shut and fight things in a certain way, IMO.

He also got into the birther stuff that really damaged his credibility.