Author Topic: How Much Exercise Does a Body Need?  (Read 475 times)

rangerrebew

How Much Exercise Does a Body Need?
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:01:35 pm »
How Much Exercise Does a Body Need?
By Mark Barna | April 6, 2017 10:26 am

Researchers keep moving the goal posts on exercise. For a while, the trend was to show benefits of minimal exercise, perhaps as an olive branch to people too busy for a full workout. Lately, the trend is essentially to say effort matters; more exercise means better health. So which is right? Both are. But one overrides standard health guidelines.

Health institutions say people need about 150 minutes of moderate or 75 minutes of intense aerobic exercise each week. Moderate exercise might be brisk walking or active gardening, while intense exercise would include uphill cycling, sprints, tennis or squash.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/04/06/how-much-exercise-do-we-need/#.WOjRKKK1v4Z
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:02:54 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline bolobaby

Re: How Much Exercise Does a Body Need?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:33:01 pm »
Need vs Want

Your body *needs* less exercise than you'd think to stay healthy, so long as it isn't incomplete exercise like yoga. (Yes, folks, yoga is NOT good exercise. It's one part of a complete fitness regimen, but yoga aficionados have tried to sell it as a total solution. It's far, far from a total solution.)

On the other hand, if you WANT a good physique... if you WANT to be physically FIT (vs simply "healthy"), then you need to do more. And - more importantly - you have to not fall into the "plateau trap."

What is the "plateau trap?" You can tell someone has fallen into it when they complain about how they "run 5 miles a day, but can't lose that last 20 lbs." Watch these people go for a run. It's the same, slow pace every day. They hit a plateau and will never move from it because they never alter their routine or even push themselves during their routine. If they fartlek during their run even once or twice a week, suddenly they'd see improvement.

I could write a manifesto on fitness. I was an MFT in the military, always scoring 300 on the APFT. At 46, I'm regularly accused of being in my mid-30s, even by doctors. I push myself when I exercise and it's like a drug.

Despite this, I continually get told by people in horrible shape how effective their yoga routine is, or how they don't need any help coming up with a fitness plan - they totally know what to do - despite this being the 10th consecutive year their New Year's resolution is "get in shape."

Here's a freebie to anyone on the board who wants to get in shape:

Start with this SIX MINUTE routine, six times a week, for two weeks...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GENMje1R4qE

If you can't commit to six minutes a week for two weeks, you'll never get in shape. Guys - if you are out of shape, start with a 20lb kettlebell. Gals, go for 10lbs.

Be disciplined. After two weeks, you will be ready for more.

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:38:41 pm »
I advocate physical exercise according to Dr. Kenneth Cooper, and Covert Bailey.

Both emphasized "Aerobics."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 07:36:00 pm »
I advocate physical exercise according to Dr. Kenneth Cooper, and Covert Bailey.

Both emphasized "Aerobics."

Try that six minute routine and tell me if you think it is aerobic or not. LOL.

Most people see a kettlebell - and not understanding what they are for - think "weight training."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:37:12 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »
Health institutions say people need about 150 minutes of moderate or 75 minutes of intense aerobic exercise each week. Moderate exercise might be brisk walking or active gardening, while intense exercise would include uphill cycling, sprints, tennis or squash.

I think I'll give this article to my husband when my USTA tennis league fees come due again.  Maybe an edited version: 

"Health institutions say people need <snip> tennis..."
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra