Author Topic: Republicans want to drug test welfare recipients — they should test bankers as well  (Read 3845 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Oh, offies. Cheers!  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
:beer:

Of course we must define "government subsidy".  Politicians would fall under that umbrella for the obvious reasons.  And so would retired post office workers on a pension.  But what about those on Social Security or university employees doing research via a government grant?

That's one really, really big umbrella.

You struck a nerve with that Social Security remark.  ReaLLY annoying.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I agree. Social Security is a government run retirement program people were forced to pay into.

Definitely not the same as welfare or government grants, the latter of which at least implies some sort of action for the money. With welfare, the only quid pro quo is in providing "client" caseload so the universities have jobs to send all those sociology majors after when they are done going into hock to get their social work/sociology degree.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Bugs me too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand

It bugs me too and I'm the one who said it.

How come they tax Social Security as income?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Its like taxing a tax refund.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"Taxman"

The Beatles

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me.

Songwriters: GEORGE HARRISON

© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Hondo69

Its like taxing a tax refund.

So . . . if I go earn a dollar by working, who's dollar is it?

Evidently not mine.   :whistle:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
So . . . if I go earn a dollar by working, who's dollar is it?

Evidently not mine.   :whistle:

Ya know that money we took out of your paychecks your whole life? The good news is that we're giving it back to you. The bad news is that we're taking a percentage of it.

Offline Hondo69

Ya know that money we took out of your paychecks your whole life? The good news is that we're giving it back to you. The bad news is that we're taking a percentage of it.

So let's see, I loaned the government money and for that awesome favor they're only going to charge me 25% when they pay me back?

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Offline Suppressed

Nope. But I knew a lot of rig hands back in the days of spinning chains who had lost a finger or two (or part of one).

The old joke was "How many years have you been in the drilling business?"  With the answer being "5" and the following hand held up:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:53:45 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

:beer:

Of course we must define "government subsidy".  Politicians would fall under that umbrella for the obvious reasons.  And so would retired post office workers on a pension.  But what about those on Social Security or university employees doing research via a government grant?

That's one really, really big umbrella.
are you saying those who contributed to Social Security their entire life and finally drawing SS on the govt promised so many years should be viewed similar to a welfare recipient receiving food stamps for doing nothing?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

'they' is bill Clinton.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

The old joke was "How many years have you been in the drilling business?"  With the answer being "5" and the following hand held up:

Pretty close, only the little finger and ring finger were usually the first to go...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
First reaction would be to say yes!!  However the damage would be to the children who live in these homes.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

First reaction would be to say yes!!  However the damage would be to the children who live in these homes.
Perhaps. The amount of dysfunction and often violence which can accompany serious drug use often means the children receive little benefit from the welfare payments. Weed can go either way, but test positive for meth, crack, etc., and chances are the kids are just being used to up the 'take', but aren't benefiting from that increase in funding.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Perhaps. The amount of dysfunction and often violence which can accompany serious drug use often means the children receive little benefit from the welfare payments. Weed can go either way, but test positive for meth, crack, etc., and chances are the kids are just being used to up the 'take', but aren't benefiting from that increase in funding.

I agree.  Had a neighbor heroin addict.  Had 3 kids that were absolutely wild.  If Trump was serious about reigning in the opiate problem he would build the wall and stop the illegal immigration.

Promises, promises.........

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-remarks-in-portsmouth-nh
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:24:27 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hondo69

are you saying those who contributed to Social Security their entire life and finally drawing SS on the govt promised so many years should be viewed similar to a welfare recipient receiving food stamps for doing nothing?

No, I'm asking a question.

One intended to prompt debate as a matter of fact.  Liberals will argue that that SS is not a government benefit but rather a savings account.  Then in the same breath they'll also argue it is income that should be taxed.

In my opinion both views are wrong.  I'd argue it is a tax.

Offline Smokin Joe

No, I'm asking a question.

One intended to prompt debate as a matter of fact.  Liberals will argue that that SS is not a government benefit but rather a savings account.  Then in the same breath they'll also argue it is income that should be taxed.

In my opinion both views are wrong.  I'd argue it is a tax.
It is a tax, but the tax was intended to fund a retirement benefit. Those benefit distributions aren't income, but a promised annuity payment which had no specified rate of return at the time, with eligibility based on a certain participation level, and benefit based on contributions.
In contrast, welfare only requires being poor, and the benefit increases with the dependent body count, not on a basis of any contribution except more dependents. There are other add-ons which will increase those benefits, such as 'special needs' children, which imho has led to a raft of kids being branded with medical designations (and prescribed therapy or medication) which will affect them for the rest of their lives, in order for the primary recipient to get more money (and to boost jobs within the distribution industry).

The loss of benefits which is incurred by someone trying to get off welfare is so significant, that with the implementation of Obamacare (which has to be replaced when one no longer qualifies for Medicaid), the transition requires such a jump in income to achieve anything close to parity in terms of lifestyle that only the most determined will make that move.

C S Lewis