Author Topic: 10 Reasons Why You Should Own a Revolver  (Read 14695 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Own a Revolver
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2017, 10:59:31 pm »
Not yet. That comes at the end of this month. I was supposed to have gotten it last weekend but the class on post got rescheduled.

No waiting period with the CCP. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2017, 10:59:49 pm »
Its a state thing. Not a problem in Texas.

Ahhh another reason I miss home.

Funny thing is you'd think it wouldn't be a problem in an open carry state like Kentucky where I'm at now.

It's not like I'm trying to make this purchase in New York state or California LOL.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:06 pm »
No waiting period with the CCP.

Yeah that's what everyone tells me. I'll have it by the time May rolls around and I won't hopefully have this issue anymore.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2017, 11:38:00 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how in the blue hell it is that the federal government can trust me with hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment...let me carry a weapon with 200+ rounds into combat...give me a security clearance...but won't let me walk out of a gun shop with a weapon on the day I want to buy it.

Every...single...time

(End rant)

@txradioguy

Is that a Texas or a feral government thing? I haven't bought a gun in a LONG time,but as best as I can remember,I paid my money and I walks out the door. I THINK I used my CCW permit as well as my DL,and that might have made a difference. Or maybe not. Just guessing.

BTW,if you think THAT is insane,I have a friend that was an active-duty MSG Special Forces A team sgt IN POSSESSION of a NC CCW permit,and he got stopped for a random search going off base to go home one night,and damned if the MP's didn't arrest him for carrying a concealed weapon.

The man had been carrying a concealed weapon and several that weren't concealed every day for over 20 years while deployed on various teams,and being first the Jr weapons man on a A team,and then the Sr weapons man before becoming team sgt. If you can't trust a SF MSG with 20+ years in the army,multiple deployments to hostile areas of the planet,a Silver Star,a couple of Bronze Stars with V/Device,a couple of Purple Hearts,etc,etc,etc to carry a freaking 9 mm in a holster under his shirt,who the hell CAN you trust?

Adding insult to injury,SFTG at that time had a asshat reserve LTC from Mass with political connections that was a rabid anti-gunner as his company commander,and instead of looking the other way,he was wanting to court-martial the man. I lost contact with them all before the dust had settled on that,so I don't know what the final outcome was,but I have a hard time believing the Army AG in DC didn't open the charge book to review the case and scream "WTF???????",and just toss it.

I worked with the E-8 when I was working as a consultant to SFTG at Bragg back in the 80's,but have no idea where he is now. He had plans on being a 30 year man,but that changed his mind and he decided to put in his retirement papers and get out.

That is the height of insanity. You just aren't going to ever run into anyone more stable than a SF team sgt,or anyone more knowledgeable about weapons or when to shoot and when not to shoot. The man just ain't going to panic and start gunning everybody down in sight because somebody called him a name or threatened to kick his ass.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:51:55 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2017, 11:49:24 pm »
@txradioguy

Is that a Texas or a feral government thing? I haven't bought a gun in a LONG time,but as best as I can remember,I paid my money and I walks out the door. I THINK I used my CCW permit as well as my DL,and that might have made a difference. Or maybe not. Just guessing.

@sneakypete I'm not sure.  Some people say the reason I get delayed is because of my security clearance some people have told me it's because I've only been back in the states since August. Either way it's a pain in the @as.

But what everyone does way is that when I get my CCL this problem will go away.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2017, 11:59:47 pm »
@sneakypete I'm not sure.  Some people say the reason I get delayed is because of my security clearance some people have told me it's because I've only been back in the states since August. Either way it's a pain in the @as.

Next time they tell you to wait. You should say "Never mind, I'll just stangle 'em instead."  :laugh: Or maybe not.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2017, 12:11:45 am »

@txradioguy

Let's hope that's what happens.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2017, 12:20:40 am »
Next time they tell you to wait. You should say "Never mind, I'll just stangle 'em instead."  :laugh: Or maybe not.

@Idaho_Cowboy

I knew a NCO that ran recon in Cambodia out of Ban Me Tout (spelling?). One hell of a team leader and soldier,but in some ways not all there. He was picked up by the MP's in Saigon one night,just wandering around the back streets after curfew,all by himself.  He was carrying a 38 Special in a shoulder holster,so the MP's disarmed him and took him to the lockup,where they called his unit to have someone come sign for him. The Major who was the XO at that camp came to town to get him out,and after he saw the MP's give him back his 38,he asked them "Where are the rest of his weapons?",and demanded they return them to him. The NCO just smiled and told the Major,"No sweat,I've still got them." and pulled up his jungle fatigue shirt to show two loaded 1911A1's and a couple of baseball grenades. The Major later told people that he thought the MP's were going to stroke out when they saw what they had missed when they locked him up. And maybe even what they had missed by not pissing him off or trying to manhandle him or insult him. That could have gotten very ugly very quickly. This man had the code name of "Mad Dog",and he was more than a little strange,even by VN-era SF standards.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:21:52 am by sneakypete »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2017, 12:23:02 am »

@txradioguy

Probably someone with a similiar name on a watch list or with a record.   The CCL may not fix it.   Your clearance never comes up as those systems aren't connected.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2017, 02:42:25 am »
@txradioguy

Probably someone with a similiar name on a watch list or with a record.   The CCL may not fix it.   Your clearance never comes up as those systems aren't connected.

In Texas, when you buy a firearm and have a Texas CHL, no background check is performed. I live in Texas, but have a Florida CHL. So they still do the background check on me.

Other states may be similar.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2017, 06:29:44 am »
In Texas, when you buy a firearm and have a Texas CHL, no background check is performed. I live in Texas, but have a Florida CHL. So they still do the background check on me.

Other states may be similar.

I have CCW, but I hate all the paper that goes along with buying a firearm over the counter... . I like my privacy, and foremost, from governmental intrusion. I make it a point to buy all my weapons off the tailgate of a truck. Way cheaper than retail, throw down your money, walk away with your gun. They don't even have to know who I am.

It's a beautiful thing.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:30:42 am by roamer_1 »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2017, 01:41:30 pm »
I have CCW, but I hate all the paper that goes along with buying a firearm over the counter... . I like my privacy, and foremost, from governmental intrusion. I make it a point to buy all my weapons off the tailgate of a truck. Way cheaper than retail, throw down your money, walk away with your gun. They don't even have to know who I am.

It's a beautiful thing.

Sure, I like that way too, but you're limited to what you can find. These days, like so many other things I purchase, I use the internet. I just have them ship it to a pistol range down the street from me. I have to pay a $30 transfer fee, but its convenient. I've also bought several guns from Collector's Firearms. They have a lot of consignment guns to choose from too. That and I hit the pawn shops. You never know what you'll spot. That's how I picked up 2 of my 5 holer 38s.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2017, 03:42:08 pm »
@Idaho_Cowboy

I knew a NCO that ran recon in Cambodia out of Ban Me Tout (spelling?). One hell of a team leader and soldier,but in some ways not all there. He was picked up by the MP's in Saigon one night,just wandering around the back streets after curfew,all by himself.  He was carrying a 38 Special in a shoulder holster,so the MP's disarmed him and took him to the lockup,where they called his unit to have someone come sign for him. The Major who was the XO at that camp came to town to get him out,and after he saw the MP's give him back his 38,he asked them "Where are the rest of his weapons?",and demanded they return them to him. The NCO just smiled and told the Major,"No sweat,I've still got them." and pulled up his jungle fatigue shirt to show two loaded 1911A1's and a couple of baseball grenades. The Major later told people that he thought the MP's were going to stroke out when they saw what they had missed when they locked him up. And maybe even what they had missed by not pissing him off or trying to manhandle him or insult him. That could have gotten very ugly very quickly. This man had the code name of "Mad Dog",and he was more than a little strange,even by VN-era SF standards.
Wow! I'll bet those MP learned to frisk a little better after that.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2017, 06:52:40 pm »
Well...a little bit of good news on this Friday afternoon.  Gun shop called...I'm good to go.  I'll be heading out shortly to go pick up my new gun!  :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2017, 06:55:31 pm »
Wow! I'll bet those MP learned to frisk a little better after that.

@Idaho_Cowboy

In this case,they are VERY lucky they didn't. They got the 38 because they asked nicely. They asked nicely because he was a SFC. NOBODY was going to TAKE any weapons from him without killing him and surviving the process.  If ANY part of their plan was to intimidate him,they would have needed a new plan.You can't intimidate a man with a death wish.

He was last seen charging a NVA machine gun bunker in Cambodia. He was the platoon sgt on a Hatchet Force platoon assault on a suspected NVA base camp,and the NVA waited until they had landed before opening fire. Every American in that platoon and most of the yards were dead or wounded in a short time,and the covey had to spend most of the day calling in airstrike after airstrike to suppress the NVA enough to land another HF platoon to pick up the few survivors and all the bodies they could find. His remains have still not been found. I lost two friends on the ground with him that day. Lt Harrigan,who I was friends with when he was a Sgt company clerk in the 1st on Okinawa,and Sgt Jamison,who I went through Recon Team Leaders School with. Gregg Harrigan was in the same Recon Team Leaders course as a 1st Lt,and he had told me he had married his Okinawan girlfriend and had a infant son recently. He had gone to OCS,the SF Officers Course ,and right back to Okie as a XO on a team.

I found out in the last few years that Shriver's story gets even more tragic. One of his few friends,Harve Saal, married his sister,and they had one child. IIRC,Harve died of cancer while the boy was in high school. The son enlisted in the army when he graduated,and then committed suicide the night before he was to go off to basic training.

Here is a link to Jerry Shriver's MIA report. I am not exaggerating when I say he was a true legend in SF.

http://www.taskforceomegainc.org/s139.html

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:58:05 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »
@Idaho_Cowboy

In this case,they are VERY lucky they didn't. They got the 38 because they asked nicely. They asked nicely because he was a SFC. NOBODY was going to TAKE any weapons from him without killing him and surviving the process.  If ANY part of their plan was to intimidate him,they would have needed a new plan.You can't intimidate a man with a death wish.

He was last seen charging a NVA machine gun bunker in Cambodia. He was the platoon sgt on a Hatchet Force platoon assault on a suspected NVA base camp,and the NVA waited until they had landed before opening fire. Every American in that platoon and most of the yards were dead or wounded in a short time,and the covey had to spend most of the day calling in airstrike after airstrike to suppress the NVA enough to land another HF platoon to pick up the few survivors and all the bodies they could find. His remains have still not been found. I lost two friends on the ground with him that day. Lt Harrigan,who I was friends with when he was a Sgt company clerk in the 1st on Okinawa,and Sgt Jamison,who I went through Recon Team Leaders School with. Gregg Harrigan was in the same Recon Team Leaders course as a 1st Lt,and he had told me he had married his Okinawan girlfriend and had a infant son recently. He had gone to OCS,the SF Officers Course ,and right back to Okie as a XO on a team.

I found out in the last few years that Shriver's story gets even more tragic. One of his few friends,Harve Saal, married his sister,and they had one child. IIRC,Harve died of cancer while the boy was in high school. The son enlisted in the army when he graduated,and then committed suicide the night before he was to go off to basic training.

Here is a link to Jerry Shriver's MIA report. I am not exaggerating when I say he was a true legend in SF.

http://www.taskforceomegainc.org/s139.html

Wow: 

2 Silver Stars
                                                                    3 Army Commendation Medals for Valor
                                                                    1 Soldier's medal 1 Air Medal
                                                                    7 Bronze Stars for Valor
                                                                    1 Purple Heart

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2017, 12:26:00 am »
Wow: 

2 Silver Stars
                                                                    7 Bronze Stars for Valor
                                                                    1 Purple Heart
Indeed. Wow.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2017, 03:18:21 pm »
Wow: 

2 Silver Stars
                                                                    7 Bronze Stars for Valor
                                                                    1 Purple Heart
Wow is all I can say too.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »

@driftdiver

I dunno about that. I have personally witnessed idiots daring somebody to shoot them in bar parking lots because they thought they were too tough to be harmed by a 22 or a 25 ACP.  On one occasion this pissed me off so much I kept telling the guy with the gun to "shoot the stupid MoFo and be done with it!"

Yes,there really ARE people THAT freaking ignorant. I'm betting you will never be able to get any survivors to repeat that in the future,though.

It is enough of a consideration that I never carry my 9 shot 22 revolver for self-defense out of my yard. I carry my short barreled 44 Special instead. Never seen or heard of anybody with a 44 pointed at them screaming at the pointer to go ahead and shoot them.

MY personal philosophy states that "the best way to survive a gun fight is to not get into one." I am going to do whatever I need to do and can do to avoid pulling the trigger,short of allowing the idiot to become an actual physical danger to me. He can run  his mouth or hop up and down all he wants,and I'm good with that. If the SOB starts advancing on me I'm going to put a hollowpoint though one of his eyes and end the discussion,though.

Met a guy years ago who had a home invader in the wee hours.

He grabbed his .22 and headed downstairs.

Got blindsided in his bathroom and shot the guy 3 times in the chest.

His attacker then took the guy away from him, pistol whipped him with it, stole it and got away.

Years later the PD in a major city 1500 miles away called him to ask if he wanted his .22 back.

They'd busted the crook.

He told them to keep the useless damn thing. It almost got him killed.

He'd gone out and bought a .45 and was through with anything smaller.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2017, 11:33:13 pm »

Met a guy years ago who had a home invader in the wee hours.

He grabbed his .22 and headed downstairs.

Got blindsided in his bathroom and shot the guy 3 times in the chest.

His attacker then took the guy away from him, pistol whipped him with it, stole it and got away.

Years later the PD in a major city 1500 miles away called him to ask if he wanted his .22 back.

They'd busted the crook.

He told them to keep the useless damn thing. It almost got him killed.

He'd gone out and bought a .45 and was through with anything smaller.

@To-Whose-Benefit?

Shot placement is everything. I guarantee you that if he had put a bullet though a eye socket none of those bad things would have happened to him.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2017, 10:12:24 pm »
No arguments there Pete.

But getting bushwacked at 3AM in your own bathroom doesn't always leave you time to 'call the button' on the bad guy's shirt.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2017, 06:42:40 am »
No arguments there Pete.

But getting bushwacked at 3AM in your own bathroom doesn't always leave you time to 'call the button' on the bad guy's shirt.

@To-Whose-Benefit?

Don't misunderstand me. I am NOT a "sporting gentleman" when it comes to defense of self,friends,and family. I would be perfectly happy to call in a napalm run from a flight of fast movers,and create some "Crispy Critters",but you don't always get first choice. What you get is what you have,and you just have to condition yourself to made do with what you have. If an intruder is in my bathroom he is close enough for me to put a 22 hollowpoint in one of his eye sockets,so that is what I would do.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:43:12 am by sneakypete »