Author Topic: To Be a Genius, Think Like a 94-Year-Old  (Read 639 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
To Be a Genius, Think Like a 94-Year-Old
« on: April 08, 2017, 01:02:04 am »
In 1946, a 23-year-old Army veteran named John Goodenough headed to the University of Chicago with a dream of studying physics. When he arrived, a professor warned him that he was already too old to succeed in the field.

Recently, Dr. Goodenough recounted that story for me and then laughed uproariously. He ignored the professor’s advice and today, at 94, has just set the tech industry abuzz with his blazing creativity. He and his team at the University of Texas at Austin filed a patent application on a new kind of battery that, if it works as promised, would be so cheap, lightweight and safe that it would revolutionize electric cars and kill off petroleum-fueled vehicles. His announcement has caused a stir, in part, because Dr. Goodenough has done it before. In 1980, at age 57, he coinvented the lithium-ion battery that shrank power into a tiny package.

We tend to assume that creativity wanes with age. But Dr. Goodenough’s story suggests that some people actually become more creative as they grow older. Unfortunately, those late-blooming geniuses have to contend with powerful biases against them.

“Young people are just smarter,” Mark Zuckerberg pronounced at an event at Stanford in 2007, when he was the 22-year-old chief executive of Facebook. He added, according to a VentureBeat writer, “I only own a mattress,” and then expounded upon the putative correlation between youth and creative power. His logic didn’t exactly make sense (and he later apologized), but his meaning was perfectly clear: Middle-aged people are encumbered by boring possessions (gutters, dental floss, orthopedic shoes) and stale ideas.

Since that speech, Silicon Valley’s youth worship seems to have grown even more feverish. Recently, a 12-year-old inventor named Shubham Banerjee received venture-capital funds from Intel to start his own company.

In such a climate, it’s easy for us middle-aged folk to believe that the great imaginative leaps are behind us, and that innovation belongs to the kids.

On the contrary, there’s plenty of evidence to suggest that late blooming is no anomaly. A 2016 Information Technology and Innovation Foundation study found that inventors peak in their late 40s and tend to be highly productive in the last half of their careers. Similarly, professors at the Georgia Institute of Technology and Hitotsubashi University in Japan, who studied data about patent holders, found that, in the United States, the average inventor sends in his or her application to the patent office at age 47, and that the highest-value patents often come from the oldest inventors — those over the age of 55.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/opinion/sunday/to-be-a-genius-think-like-a-94-year-old.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: To Be a Genius, Think Like a 94-Year-Old
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 01:21:54 am »
I suspect that most of us here at TBR are middle aged and older. We have some very lively and creative discussions on science and space.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 01:30:03 am »
Part of that is, I think, to do with us all not only having a massive range of experiences and knowlege, but being old enough to know that sometimes the odd bits and pieces go together well - even though it seems they shouldn't.

Makes it fun.  ^-^

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:44:24 am »
Part of that is, I think, to do with us all not only having a massive range of experiences and knowlege, but being old enough to know that sometimes the odd bits and pieces go together well - even though it seems they shouldn't.

Makes it fun.  ^-^

A lot of us have the wisdom to listen to people the "experts" would probably ignore.

I remember Homer Hickham telling the story of how some kind of micrometeorite shielding had its genesis in the mind of a garbageman. A NASA engineer was struggling with the problem and ran out to catch the garbageman. In a friendly chat te garbageman said something that cause the light to flash on in the brain if the engineer.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:48:46 am »
Reminds me of the story (supposedly a true one) about the English Electric Lightning. It used to shed it's wings fairly frequently. That problem was solved by the janitor, with an observation about the toilet paper the company bought.  :shrug: