Author Topic: Putin tells the world - 'Attacking Syria again? You'll need to get through me'  (Read 1763 times)

Offline endicom

...vowed to bolster Bashar al-Assad's missile defences...

We and the Israelis might learn a lot about those defenses.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

We and the Israelis might learn a lot about those defenses.

I was just thinking that. Gives Putin a little problem - does he allow the Grigorovich to use her full capability now, when it's not teribly important in the scheme of things, or keep something in reserve as an unpleasant surprise?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rivergirl

My worry is for our troops on the ground in Syria.  Our men and women are in grave danger now.
Wish we would have evacuated them prior to the missiles flying.
One thing for sure, all this bombing guarantees DT a Nobel Peace Prize.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My worry is for our troops on the ground in Syria.  Our men and women are in grave danger now.
Wish we would have evacuated them prior to the missiles flying.
One thing for sure, all this bombing guarantees DT a Nobel Peace Prize.
Our troopers were in grave danger before. They knew that, and enlisted for it.

If you object to Obama's Nobel, don't redirect your objection to Trump, as hard as it appears to control your obsession about him.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline pjohns

Let me go over, please, the serious arguments both for and against the American action in this regard.

Against this action--and I can think of only one argument (although it is fairly strong)--is the fact that Assad's benefactor, Russia, now seems poised to confront the US, militarily. In fact, Russia has now sent a destroyer to the eastern Mediterranean Sea, near the two American destroyers.

If the Russian destroyer should fire on one of the American destroyers, that firing would almost certainly be reciprocated.

In fact, Dmitry Medvedev--Russia's prime minister, and Vladimir Putin's right-hand man--has already declared that the US and Russia have gone beyond the stage of a proxy war, and are now engaged in an actual war with each other.

Of course, both Putin and Medvedev are well-known for their bluster; so this is not necessarily to be taken at face value.

For this action are a couple of matters, it seems to me:

For one, it sends a message to both China and its client state, North Korea, that there is a new sheriff in town; and the US will no longer tolerate rogue behavior. It will walk softly, and carry a big stick--rather than the other way around (as it was during the Obama years).

Moreover, to ignore the gassing of civilians would be to tacitly normalize this behavior. It would likely, therefore, become rather commonplace--ultimately, to the detriment of Americans.

Overall, I think the decision to strike Assad was a good one.

But it is better to analyze the matter seriously.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm NOT an anti-Trumper, but I wonder if it's worth the consequences of becoming too involved in Syria.

As I mentioned in a post in another thread, if Assad is "the problem", why not go with the easiest "solution"? (eliminate "the problem")

Offline Mom MD

Putty Poot is so cute when he tries to show off.

As my daughter likes to say - challenge accepted.  Except Syria is not worth starting WWIII over.  Isreal on the other hand....
God is still in control