Author Topic: Who Are You Calling Anti-Science?  (Read 453 times)

rangerrebew

Who Are You Calling Anti-Science?
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:51:49 pm »
Who Are You Calling Anti-Science?

Those who reject vaccines or the climate consensus often embrace other legitimate areas of research

By Troy H. Campbell, Lauren Griffin on April 6, 2017

In a couple of weeks, crowds will march nationwide in the March for Science. It’s part of a recent trend pushing back against “anti-science” attitudes that have become all the more prominent since last November’s elections. However, many at this march may greatly misunderstand the “anti-science” behavior they will be marching against. This misunderstanding may be misguiding us in our attempts to make science actually matter.

People’s relationship with science is much more complex and nuanced than "pro-science" or "anti-science." We need to correct some of the misconceptions we have and show that what is often labeled as "anti-science" or “science denial” is often better understood as isolated incidents of motivated bias. In general, trust in science is much higher than we often realize, in part because it includes a lot of people we might often consider “anti-science.”

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/who-are-you-calling-anti-science/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:52:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Who Are You Calling Anti-Science?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:31:06 pm »
Well, I do call Scientific American a highly politicized shell of a formerly interesting and informative publication.  I subscribed to it for 30+ years till I just couldn't take the political heavy-handedness anymore.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Oceander

Re: Who Are You Calling Anti-Science?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:48:05 am »
Well, I do call Scientific American a highly politicized shell of a formerly interesting and informative publication.  I subscribed to it for 30+ years till I just couldn't take the political heavy-handedness anymore.

Same here.