Author Topic: Seat Belts  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Seat Belts
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:13:35 am »
When I first began driving no one used seat belts.  Although most cars had seat belts installed we just tucked them between the seats.

It wasn't long before the government began advertising seat belts using PSA's - Buckle Up And Live.  Both on TV and on billboards we'd see the advertisements and in large part hardly anyone would complain about tax dollars being spent for this use.

Today, of course, everyone uses seat belts and our cars will scream at us if they are not fastened.  Some vehicles won't even start unless the seat belts are engaged.  They are now universally accepted and only a fool would argue against their use.  Which is exactly why I use seat belts as an example of government gone wild.

It's not the use of seat belts I oppose, I think they are terrific.  But it is the way the federal government approached the entire issue that is wrong.  Only the U.S. government can screw up such a universally accepted idea as seat belts.

----

The seat belt issue began with advertising - PSA's funded by taxpayer dollars.  As a general rule these don't bother me much and these traditionally warned against doing something such a littering or smoking.  They used to be quite common.  And icons such as Smokey The Bear or the crying Indian were seen on a regular basis on our TV's.  But we just don't see many PSA's anymore because the government has changed their approach.  Instead of offering suggestions, via PSA's, they just go straight to the heavy hammer these days by passing a law and ramming it down our throats.

They could have advertised the energy savings with LED lights, but they just passed a law instead and outlawed incandescent light bulbs.  It's just one example obviously, but we all know there are many more.  In general, they could promote this behavior or that, or discourage other behavior, but the U.S. government has gone out of the suggestion business.  Today, with government gone wild everything is my way or the highway.

----

In the case of seat belts, after the PSA's ran on TV for a few years our fearless leaders starting putting pressure on the states to pass their own seat belt laws.  Because all states receive federal funding for highway projects the Feds made it clear, either you pass a seat belt law or we cut off your highway funds.  Back then, they wouldn't dare try to pass a national seat belt law due to the outrage that would surely follow - State's Rights and all that.  So they used the back door, the carrot and stick approach.

The states all panicked of course and quickly passed their own seat belt laws for fear of losing those precious federal tax dollars.  All states except one.  Vermont or Connecticut, I forget which, told the Feds to take a hike.  It was not the use of seat belts they opposed, it was the heavy handed approach being used by the Feds.  Take your carrot and stick and shove it.

The time frame difference makes for an interesting comparison.  It wasn't all that long ago that our politicians knew better than to pass sweeping national laws for fear of backlash from the majority of citizens.  Even for such an innocuous idea such as using seat belts.  The reason was the population had a different mind set, a different educational system, and words such as Freedom and Liberty held real meaning.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Seat Belts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:17:54 pm »
Now the PSA's are "Click it or Ticket!" "Cops are out there, and they WILL FIND YOU!"

Well, isn't that nice... to serve and protect and all that jazz. No, now they're agents out to terrorize drivers into using seat belts.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 10:44:55 pm »
Which reminds me of the time William Safire had a little mad fun (in his classic "On Language" columns for
the New York Times) over a lot of hoopla raised about a particular car safety campaign---a billboard
showing a kid in the car seat with a seat belt on and the caption saying, HAVE YOU BELTED YOUR KIDS
TODAY?
The hoopla, of course, was from the anti-child abuse crowd---now, I generally sympathise
with efforts against child abuse, but this was one time that crowd went a shard too far in showing how lacking
in plain humour they were. Safire said as much in the column in question, finishing with: I have pasted
a sign on my dashboard:
BELT THE KIDS! It promotes safety quietly and keeps a few
people in line.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:45:43 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:54:02 pm »
The 1st car I ever owned that had seat belts was a 65 Skylark.  I made all my dates buckle-up.  You could get to third base with government mandated restraints.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 11:25:57 pm »
Anyone own a 1974 anything that had the govt' mandated Interlock system? Boy was that a pain in the ass until you disconnected it.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 11:32:51 pm »
Anyone own a 1974 anything that had the govt' mandated Interlock system? Boy was that a pain in the ass until you disconnected it.

@Frank Cannon

The Double Nickle....5 MPH Bumpers...  the SB Ignition Cut Off interlock..... Holy Shit.     Man we never knew how hard we screwed ourselves.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:33:19 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:57:33 pm »
@Frank Cannon

The Double Nickle....5 MPH Bumpers...  the SB Ignition Cut Off interlock..... Holy Shit.     Man we never knew how hard we screwed ourselves.

The only time I can remember the feds ever backing off of a regulation was the Interlock.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 12:05:14 am »
The only time I can remember the feds ever backing off of a regulation was the Interlock.

Yeah...but you remember what they replaced it with....  The auto retractable chain noose on the door thingie.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:06:22 am by Wingnut »

Offline Forum member

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 12:21:42 am »
There was a Cops marathon on. I was surprised how many cops were driving around unbuckled. It was a high percentage.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 12:29:25 am »
Yeah...but you remember what they replaced it with....  The auto retractable chain noose on the door thingie.

They called it:  Passive Restraint.   Sounds like a Dominatrix movie.   

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 12:36:30 am »
Great  ideas don't make good laws.

If our seat belt laws went away today I can't imagine driving without one. I feel like I'm going to fall out of the car.

I'm still not used to people riding cycles without helmets in Michigan.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 12:40:10 am »
My cousin had a 47 (?) Chevy pickup that came with a single tail light on the driver's side. It was legal as long as he ran the classic plate.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 12:43:45 am »
Great  ideas don't make good laws.

If our seat belt laws went away today I can't imagine driving without one. I feel like I'm going to fall out of the car.

Crip...  Just pull your thong up out of the back of your Daisy Dukes and wrap it over the Rear View Mirror.  You may not be safer... but I bet you will feel more secure..

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 12:47:24 am »
Crip...  Just pull your thong up out of the back of your Daisy Dukes and wrap it over the Rear View Mirror.  You may not be safer... but I bet you will feel more secure..

I like to wrap it around the suicide knob. That way it pulls the wheel back to straight if I lose control.

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 12:52:42 am »
I like to wrap it around the suicide knob. That way it pulls the wheel back to straight if I lose control.

Man after my own heart!  ... well as long as the lock to lock is no longer than 1 1/2 revelations.   8888crybaby

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 01:00:58 am »
@Hondo69

If I had to wear a seat belt when I was 20 years old, I would have died.  Cars didn't have seat belts then. My car slid, hit something and reared up and over, smashing the top of the car down to the steering wheel.  When it reared up, I fell into the back seat and wasn't in the driver's seat when the top smashed down.  I don't remember being thrown in the back seat, I was just there and remember the horn was sounding and I could smell and hear gasoline running.  I had on a full skirt and it was caught under something.  I jerked it and it tore and I climbed out the back door window.   About 99% of the time, a seat belt will help you, but that time my head would have been smashed down into my body, I would be dead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 03:54:37 am »
My cousin had a 47 (?) Chevy pickup that came with a single tail light on the driver's side. It was legal as long as he ran the classic plate.

That all depends on the state. That vehicle is totally legal in PA because that is the way it was built. My sister's '57 Imperial has no seatbelts. AACA allows them without point deductions in judging but we are purists and refuse to install them.

Odd story about the Imperial. It's a death car. Guy died on the trunk lid. Car was rear ended in 1962 by a 1936 Chevy. Guy went through the windshield and bled to death on the fake Conti kit Chrysler products had back then. Barely did any damage to the Imperial. They had to replace the bumper, wierd mudflap thing under it and the chrome piece above it. We bought it from the original owner so we know the story.