Author Topic: This Moderate Senator Will Filibuster Trump's Supreme Court Pick  (Read 1170 times)

rangerrebew

This Moderate Senator Will Filibuster Trump's Supreme Court Pick

04/03/2017 Source: American Action News by: AAN Staff

Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) has said that he will oppose the nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch. This will trigger a democrat filibuster.

Tester is a moderate Democrat (with a horrible flatop haircut) from a state which Trump won in 2016 by over 21 percentage points.

Read more at http://americanactionnews.com/articles/this-moderate-senator-will-filibuster-trump-s-supreme-court-pick#zSFKUhk3K5RxImp0.99

rangerrebew

Re: This Moderate Senator Will Filibuster Trump's Supreme Court Pick
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:41:24 pm »
Is a "moderate" democrat like a "moderate" muslim?

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:30:29 pm »

"Moderate" means "unwilling to acknowledge his leftist beliefs publically."
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:27:15 pm »
Make him pay!

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:01:37 pm »
It's curious that all the GOP senators that opposed ending the filibuster rule back in 2014 are now for it. Why was it a good idea in 2014 and a bad idea now.... :whistle:

The question in my mind is in the long run which party is most likely to benefit by ending the filibuster..it seems pretty clear to me that it will be the Dims. Demographics suggest that the Dims will hold small majorities in the Senate in the future more often than not given the fact that number of  people wanting free stuff from the government is always increasing. Looking ahead they see it will be much easier to continue to implement their transformation of America with a simple majority.

By maneuvering the GOP into ending the filibuster the Dim's win, they will be able to use their small majorities in the future to push their agenda and they will be able to say they are following the GOP's rules..perfect. Had the GOP not held up Garland's nomination, then Gorsuch likely would have been confirmed and the threat of filibuster would not have been there. More than anything this is about payback.

If there were any GOP leaders in the Senate and if Trump were a true leader, they would say to the Dims and Testor, fine have your filibuster but we are not going to withdraw the Gorsuch nomination, the SC can go awhile longer without filling the seat and we intend to win a 60 vote majority next year. 2018 is likely to be a good year for the GOP, there are 23 Dim and 2 Independent seats and only 9 GOP seats up, Testor is one of those Dims. Trump could vow to tweet and campaign against those 23 Dim senators, including Testor, to assure a GOP Senate majority....

Of course it won't happen, the minority mentality GOP, will give the Dim's their long term goal even when holding the presidency and both houses of congress... :thud:

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:06:22 pm »
It's curious that all the GOP senators that opposed ending the filibuster rule back in 2014 are now for it. Why was it a good idea in 2014 and a bad idea now.... :whistle:

The question in my mind is in the long run which party is most likely to benefit by ending the filibuster..it seems pretty clear to me that it will be the Dims. Demographics suggest that the Dims will hold small majorities in the Senate in the future more often than not given the fact that number of  people wanting free stuff from the government is always increasing. Looking ahead they see it will be much easier to continue to implement their transformation of America with a simple majority.

By maneuvering the GOP into ending the filibuster the Dim's win, they will be able to use their small majorities in the future to push their agenda and they will be able to say they are following the GOP's rules..perfect. Had the GOP not held up Garland's nomination, then Gorsuch likely would have been confirmed and the threat of filibuster would not have been there. More than anything this is about payback.

If there were any GOP leaders in the Senate and if Trump were a true leader, they would say to the Dims and Testor, fine have your filibuster but we are not going to withdraw the Gorsuch nomination, the SC can go awhile longer without filling the seat and we intend to win a 60 vote majority next year. 2018 is likely to be a good year for the GOP, there are 23 Dim and 2 Independent seats and only 9 GOP seats up, Testor is one of those Dims. Trump could vow to tweet and campaign against those 23 Dim senators, including Testor, to assure a GOP Senate majority....

Of course it won't happen, the minority mentality GOP, will give the Dim's their long term goal even when holding the presidency and both houses of congress... :thud:

If the GOP hadn't held up Garland's nomination, Gorsuch wouldn't have been nominated, as the seat would have been filled.  You can't have it both ways--either the filibuster should remain for both sides to use, or it should be done away with for both sides.  Personally, I think it should be gone.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
If the GOP hadn't held up Garland's nomination, Gorsuch wouldn't have been nominated, as the seat would have been filled.  You can't have it both ways--either the filibuster should remain for both sides to use, or it should be done away with for both sides.  Personally, I think it should be gone.

Garland wasn't confirmed because the GOP held the majority and they simply refused to bring the nomination up for a vote, the application of filibuster had nothing to do with it so I'm curious how that's having it both ways....

Speaking of not having it both ways, I assume back in 2014 when the GOP was screaming bloody murder when the Dims ended the filibuster for non SC judicial nominees you like many others here must have been opposing the GOP's attempt to keep it and sided with the Dims :whistle:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:49 pm »
news flash: It is already gone.  After Reid threw it away forall other appointees, no one should expect it will remain for Scotus.

The gauntlet had been thrown down, to the Dems regret (now)
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 10:26:47 pm »
"Moderate" means "unwilling to acknowledge his leftist beliefs publically."
moderate is mediocre. Look it up.

I do not want mediocre Senators, I want results-oriented ones like Cruz.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:14:25 pm »
Garland wasn't confirmed because the GOP held the majority and they simply refused to bring the nomination up for a vote, the application of filibuster had nothing to do with it so I'm curious how that's having it both ways....

Speaking of not having it both ways, I assume back in 2014 when the GOP was screaming bloody murder when the Dims ended the filibuster for non SC judicial nominees you like many others here must have been opposing the GOP's attempt to keep it and sided with the Dims :whistle:

You clearly don't know me.  I've always been against the filibuster.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 11:15:13 pm »
moderate is mediocre. Look it up.

I do not want mediocre Senators, I want results-oriented ones like Cruz.

That's the dictionary definition, not the leftist definition.  I stand by my leftist definition.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 12:37:20 am »
That's the dictionary definition, not the leftist definition.  I stand by my leftist definition.
A moderate for both Dems  and Republicans are ones that do not take a stand and play the middle, choosing sides to benefit themselves.  Neither have convictions, and are mediocre.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 01:04:33 am »
You clearly don't know me.  I've always been against the filibuster.

Well at least your consistent which I can respect, its the GOP politicians and partisans who were against it before they were for it that I hold in low regard. The left has been pushing for majority rule for decades. It's disheartening for me to see many on the right join the crusade for majority rule. The country was founded as a Republic and will only survive if it remains a Republic.

To many in this country regardless of their political affiliation, are in my view, just to damn lazy to make this republic continue to work. The next great push by those favoring majority rule will be the elimination of the electoral college which will insure the demise of the US as we know it..

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 01:21:09 am »

Yes...And is a first cousin to a Moderate Republican.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 02:36:23 am »
The Gorsuch vote will become the pivotal event in the course of the Senate's next two years, and of the entire Congress, as well.

If the Republicans can't do what they must -- if they're unwilling to end "the filibuster" and confirm Gorsuch -- they will have effectively surrendered control of the Senate (and as it follows, all hope of Republican-oriented legislation in the Congress) until 2019 at the earliest.

And the democrats sense this.
If they win this one, their "wall of opposition" will only rise higher.

Years ago when I was getting qualified on the Central Vermont Railroad so that I could run Amtrak's "Montrealer" from New Haven to New London up to Palmer (MA), I went to a CV rules class conducted by one of their road foremen. Over the course of the class, he would instruct as to what the rules required for particular situations, but he also slipped in the comment [that in the face of the rules]:
"Sometimes a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do."

That is to say, regardless of the framework of the rules per se, sometimes it might be required to "bend 'em" just a bit in order to accomplish the task at hand. Because that was the only way things were gonna get done.

It's time for the Republican senators to do what they have to do.
Vote to end the filibuster if they have to.
But get Gorsuch confirmed and seated!