Author Topic: Daily walk to SAVE YOUR LIFE: Experts tell 20m lazy Britons walk to prevent heart disease  (Read 419 times)

rangerrebew

Daily walk to SAVE YOUR LIFE: Experts tell 20m lazy Britons walk to prevent heart disease
MORE than 20 million “couch potato” Britons were last night told to get up and take a walk to prevent heart disease.
By Sarah O'Grady
PUBLISHED: 00:01, Mon, Apr 3, 2017 | UPDATED: 14:32, Mon, Apr 3, 2017

They are likely to die before their time as they spend far too much sitting around.

And they cost the NHS as much as £1.2billion a year, according to new statistics from the British Heart Foundation.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/787048/heart-disease-exercise-diet-risks-daily-walk

Three-quarters of people, when referred for rehabilitation after a cardiac arrest or heart surgery, are considered to have been physically inactive.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:27:18 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Three-quarters of people, when referred for rehabilitation after a cardiac arrest or heart surgery, are considered to have been physically inactive.

Duh?

Talk about selective studies ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

It's probably too dangerous for the non-Muslims to be walking around Londonistan

Offline Applewood

IMHO, walking is the best exercise in the world.  Doesn't require fancy equipment or a gym membership.  Easier on the joints than running or jogging.  You can do it anywhere --  at the mall, on the track at the local high scool or just in your neighborhood.  When the weather is bad, i just walk around my house.  Can even do it on vacation.  Unless you walk for a sport, it's not competitive.  You can go at your own pace, and no one is going to laugh at or make fun of you.  Even walking slowly raises the heartbeat.  And there is some psychological and social benefit to it too.  I walk at a mall.  We have a great group of regulars -- young people, retirees, students, even mall employees.  I know a guy who comes to the mall to walk in shorts and a T-shirt.  Around 8:30 am, he changes into a suit and tie and goes to work.  There are young mothers with toddlers in strollers who walk the mall while pushing the kids around. I know one guy in a non-motorized wheelchair.  Although he obviously can't walk,  pushing himself in the chair gives him upper arm strength.  It's encouraging and uplifting just to observe him getting his own kind of exercise. 

geronl

My brother applied for disability but since he's white it was going to be years to get a decision. So he started walking, soon he was walking 8 miles a day. He got him a metal detector and started collecting stray balls from the park. lol