Author Topic: The failing @nytimes has disgraced the media world. Gotten me wrong for two solid years. Change libel laws?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Don't worry. They'll scramble for the high ground when it becomes convenient again.

The majority of Americans are democrats at heart.

Libel and slander laws have a very hi bar to get over as far as burden of proof...and that was done for a reason...what Donny doesn't realize is that if...God forbid...her were to get his way...this becomes a very sharp double edged sword.

People cheerleading him on to loosen the burden of proof requirements should really be careful what they wish for.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Libel and slander laws have a very hi bar to get over as far as burden of proof...and that was done for a reason...what Donny doesn't realize is that if...God forbid...her were to get his way...this becomes a very sharp double edged sword.

People cheerleading him on to loosen the burden of proof requirements should really be careful what they wish for.
Indeed.

As I stated before, Trump has the cloak of sovereign immunity to hide behind. So, legally, he can't commit libel or slander during his time as President. So what he proposes is basically making it easier to attack those who oppose him while making it impossible to do the same in return. It is, plainly and simply, a self-interest driven plot to control the message. Just like Obama, only more overt.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I don't expect him to do anything to get the laws changed. He's still using the reality TV script that made him. He says a lot of things to get attention but never actually does them because he would eventually run out of outrageous crap to say. He's always threatening to sue someone,  primary someone, investigate someone, boycott someone etc.

What concerns me most is the fact that he's doing exactly the same crap with military matters. Sure we can stomp NK into the dirt but hundreds of thousands will die within the first few days and that includes many thousands in South Korea.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
First off, Carlin was a left-wing atheist. Second, where did we "sit by" as Obama did those things, and what makes anyone think that just because Obama did it, nobody else can?

Yeah, yeah, but seriously.  Libel is impossible to prove as it not only has to be false but false with evil intent.

The Press is not holy and I see no harm at taking a look at libel laws.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump has talked about "strengthening" libel laws for some time.  I question whether he is really serious.

Trump thrives on controversy.  Seems he can't let a day go by without stirring up some sh**.   After all, he was a reality TV star and reality shows always have to have some manufactured conflict to keep them interesting.   He needs to run this never-ending reality TV show to keep his massive ego inflated.

I just don't know if I can take being a part of Trump's latest reality show for the next four years.

There are options for you.  You could become a survivalist, live in the woods and eat squirrels (if you can shoot). 

You can cut off all electronics and only watch old law and order reruns on TV.

It's not gonna be easy but I'm pulling for you.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.