Author Topic: Vacate Trump Tower: People want Melania Trump to be forced to leave New York City  (Read 1072 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Saturday, Apr 1, 2017 08:58 AM CST

Vacate Trump Tower: People want Melania Trump to be forced to leave New York City
A petition requests that Melania leave and save the city a ton of money

Kali Holloway, AlterNet

The exorbitant cost of keeping Melania and Barron Trump in their gold-plated penthouse in New York City has inspired thousands to sign a petition asking that they be forced to leave town. The viral Change.org request, titled “Make Melania Trump Stay in the White House or Pay for the Expenses Herself,” already has more than 175,000 signatures. The petition is a response to the drain on city dollars brought on by the stunning security costs — up to $146,000 a day — of keeping Melania and Barron in Trump Tower, according to New York City Police estimates given to The New York Times.

more
http://www.salon.com/2017/04/01/people-want-melania-trump-to-be-forced-to-leave-nyc_partner/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Saturday, Apr 1, 2017 08:58 AM CST

Vacate Trump Tower: People want Melania Trump to be forced to leave New York City
A petition requests that Melania leave and save the city a ton of money

Kali Holloway, AlterNet

The exorbitant cost of keeping Melania and Barron Trump in their gold-plated penthouse in New York City has inspired thousands to sign a petition asking that they be forced to leave town. The viral Change.org request, titled “Make Melania Trump Stay in the White House or Pay for the Expenses Herself,” already has more than 175,000 signatures. The petition is a response to the drain on city dollars brought on by the stunning security costs — up to $146,000 a day — of keeping Melania and Barron in Trump Tower, according to New York City Police estimates given to The New York Times.

more
http://www.salon.com/2017/04/01/people-want-melania-trump-to-be-forced-to-leave-nyc_partner/
It's expensive being a homebody. Maybe she should take the Mooch Obama world tour? (If I'm not mistaken, the building will still have to be secured.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
(If I'm not mistaken, the building will still have to be secured.)

Forever. Or until Trump dies, at least. Even after he completes his term or terms.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Forever. Or until Trump dies, at least. Even after he completes his term or terms.

Actually that's not true anymore. I think it gets drawn down over time till there is no further secret service protection. I think 20 years is the cutoff now. Personally I'm not sure the taxpayers should be on the hook for the protection of former presidents and officials who manage to become very wealthy upon leaving office.

Unfortunately it looks like Donald Trump is intent on creating the legacy of being the most expensive presidency of all time and we'll be saddled with that forever.

Offline thackney

Actually that's not true anymore. I think it gets drawn down over time till there is no further secret service protection. I think 20 years is the cutoff now. Personally I'm not sure the taxpayers should be on the hook for the protection of former presidents and officials who manage to become very wealthy upon leaving office.

Unfortunately it looks like Donald Trump is intent on creating the legacy of being the most expensive presidency of all time and we'll be saddled with that forever.

Obama signs bill, gets Secret Service protection for life
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/10/obama-signs-bill-gets-secret-service-protection-for-life/
January 10th, 2013

The new law, which passed the House and Senate in December, designates that all former U.S. presidents who served after January 1, 1997, along with their spouses, receive protection from the Secret Service for their entire lifetimes – meaning former President George W. Bush and his wife Laura are also covered. The law also stipulates that children of presidents receive protection until the age of 16.

Lifetime government-provided security for former presidents was the law of the land until 1997, when Congress passed legislation limiting Secret Service protection to ten years after leaving office.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Cheers @thackney - was certain I remembered something about that. Although, with Trump being 70 now @Cripplecreek probably has the time in the right ballpark

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Let me see if I understand this correctly - New Yorkers are complaining about the cost of something?

That absolutely cannot be true.  It doesn't pass the smell test.

Offline Smokin Joe

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/10/obama-signs-bill-gets-secret-service-protection-for-life/
January 10th, 2013

The new law, which passed the House and Senate in December, designates that all former U.S. presidents who served after January 1, 1997, along with their spouses, receive protection from the Secret Service for their entire lifetimes – meaning former President George W. Bush and his wife Laura are also covered. The law also stipulates that children of presidents receive protection until the age of 16.

Lifetime government-provided security for former presidents was the law of the land until 1997, when Congress passed legislation limiting Secret Service protection to ten years after leaving office.
What? The kids only get Secret Service protection until they are 16, but have to be carried on mom and dad's insurance for another 10 years.  **nononono* :shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

(If I'm not mistaken, the building will still have to be secured.)

Yes, you're mistaken, I think. Once the building is taken by eminent domain in the public good (Trump will be happy with this...he's on record as saying that people are happy when their property is confiscated that way), I doubt there will be much threat to it after the Trumps are evicted.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

Yes, you're mistaken, I think. Once the building is taken by eminent domain in the public good (Trump will be happy with this...he's on record as saying that people are happy when their property is confiscated that way), I doubt there will be much threat to it after the Trumps are evicted.
Funny thing about Trump and eminent domain. When he was trying to take the woman's house, he tried to hire the woman's attorney to work against another developer who was trying to eminent domain some houses to put a tunnel between buildings. That would have given the other developer a feature which would have competed with Trump's facility...So he was for it before he was against it, and it all depends on who is doing what with it. Which is the problem with letting laws like eminent domain get out of hand.

Now, who would bring more revenue in than 145,000/day just being there, not counting the rest of the building's revenue? It has to show a tax advantage to squeak in under the criminal auspices of Kelo.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

Funny thing about Trump and eminent domain. When he was trying to take the woman's house, he tried to hire the woman's attorney to work against another developer who was trying to eminent domain some houses to put a tunnel between buildings. That would have given the other developer a feature which would have competed with Trump's facility...So he was for it before he was against it, and it all depends on who is doing what with it. Which is the problem with letting laws like eminent domain get out of hand.

Yes, Trump is a hypocrite.

Now, who would bring more revenue in than 145,000/day just being there, not counting the rest of the building's revenue? It has to show a tax advantage to squeak in under the criminal auspices of Kelo.

Doesn't have to fall under that. It's simply for "public use" with broad economic development from cost savings.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
January 10th, 2013

@thackney

Thank you. I did not know that. For some odd reason the press was awful quiet about this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Let me see if I understand this correctly - New Yorkers are complaining about the cost of something?

@hondo68

They are mad because taxpayer money is being spent on crackas.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

It's their tax dollars, not other people's.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's their tax dollars, not other people's.

You can always tell a completely accurate assessment of something. It sounds harsh.  :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

Yes, Trump is a hypocrite.

Doesn't have to fall under that. It's simply for "public use" with broad economic development from cost savings.
Eminent domain in that case would have to have a local aspect. There is none. The building is there, brings in revenue, and 145K a day in extra 'economic development'. I am sure the NYC powers that be have no objections, other than it is Trump. As long as they pay their taxes, what's not to like for them?

C S Lewis