Author Topic: House GOP mad that favorite whipping boy still on job at IRS  (Read 620 times)

Online corbe

House GOP mad that favorite whipping boy still on job at IRS

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER
Associated Press

Apr 5, 6:40 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Unhappy that their favorite whipping boy is still in charge of the IRS, House Republicans asked President Donald Trump on Wednesday to fire Commissioner John Koskinen.

Fifteen Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee sent Trump a letter asking him to can Koskinen. They said trust in the IRS has hit rock bottom and that under Koskinen, the IRS destroyed evidence when Congress was investigating the tax agency for inappropriately singling out conservative groups for extra scrutiny.

"He also misled Congress in the process, intentionally degraded customer service at the agency, and has since lost the trust of the American people," the committee members wrote.

The scandal over conservative groups happened before Koskinen became commissioner. President Barack Obama appointed Koskinen in the aftermath, and his five-year term ends in November.

Nevertheless, House Republicans began attacking Koskinen shortly after he took office. They hauled him before congressional panels dozens of times - sometimes just to berate him. They complained that he was slow to comply with their requests for information.

Through it all, Koskinen maintained that the IRS was doing all it could to help lawmakers in their multiple investigations, even as the agency discovered troves lost emails from a key official in the investigation.

Before the letter was made public, Koskinen told reporters Wednesday that no one in the Trump administration has talked to him about leaving.

"I still cheerily am managing the place," Koskinen said. "I turn into a pumpkin in November."

In response to the letter, the IRS issued a statement saying that Koskinen is focused on completing a successful tax filing season and protecting the agency from cyberattacks.

<..snip..>

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONGRESS_IRS_COMMISSIONER?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-04-05-18-40-08

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: House GOP mad that favorite whipping boy still on job at IRS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:17:17 am »
And no one knows why
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:22:45 am »
I agree. He should have been out by Day 2.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:28:49 am »

Not only shoud he be out immediately  the root problem should be fixed as well!

The very existence of a thing like thre IRS is antithetical to a FREE society!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:30:07 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:29:01 am »

I've never been overly cynical but... doesn't it seem like everyone has leverage over everyone?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 02:23:25 am »
   What are the odds that Trump's Tax Returns would be leaked if he was Fired?
    I'd fold too, as Trump appears to have done.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 02:26:02 am »
   What are the odds that Trump's Tax Returns would be leaked if he was Fired?
    I'd fold too, as Trump appears to have done.

Hmmmm