Author Topic: Freedom Caucus poised for pivotal role in infrastructure fight  (Read 897 times)

Online corbe

Freedom Caucus poised for pivotal role in infrastructure fight

By Melanie Zanona - 04/02/17 11:00 AM EDT 

President Trump is escalating his feud with the conservative House Freedom Caucus, with his $1 trillion infrastructure package hanging in the balance.

The conservative caucus is sure to play a role in the legislative fight over rebuilding the nation’s roads, bridges and highways, something Trump promised to deliver during his campaign.

Massive federal spending on transportation has long given fiscal conservatives heartburn.

And Freedom Caucus lawmakers who support Trump's infrastructure push may have to work extra hard now to convince fellow members to support the president’s proposal, especially after Trump stepped up his attacks on some lawmakers in the group this week.

But transportation leaders warn it would be a mistake to count out the support of the Freedom Caucus on infrastructure, assuming the measure is fully paid for with a palatable offset.
Numerous members sit on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and some are even lead sponsors on infrastructure investment bills — including one related to tax reform that appears to be gaining steam.

“I have members of the Freedom Caucus on my committee. They’ve been very supportive,” Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Pa.), chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said during an event hosted by The Hill this week. 

“It’s one of those things they embrace. They may not always agree on how we go about it, but I think we can get a coalition to get a big, bipartisan vote.”

The Freedom Caucus members on the Transportation panel include Rep. Mark Meadows (N.C.), the group’s chairman, and Reps. Brian Babin (Texas), Scott Perry (Pa.), Mark Sanford (S.C.) and Randy Weber (Texas.)

Trump has called on Congress to move a $1 trillion infrastructure package later this year. The White House is still in the early stages of crafting a proposal, but Trump has signaled that it will streamline regulatory hurdles and target transportation projects where enough advanced planning has already been completed so work can start shortly. It is expected to be paid for with a mix of public and private financing.

There were questions over whether the House Freedom Caucus would torpedo the infrastructure package even before Trump slammed the group on Twitter this week for its role in the failure of the ObamaCare repeal effort.

Trump’s transportation plan was always going to be a tough sell with fiscal conservatives.

The 2016 GOP platform calls for eliminating federal funding for mass transit, bike-share programs, sidewalks and rail-to-rail projects.

But transportation leaders are swatting down concerns that Trump’s deteriorating relationship with conservatives will complicate their efforts.

“After I talked about my proposal for user fees for aviation, harbor maintenance and surface infrastructure, I had a couple of members of the Freedom Caucus tell me that they liked those ideas, [because] they were user fee based and did not create debt,” said Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.), ranking member on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

Meadows, chairman of the House Oversight subcommittee on government operations, has had a hand in overseeing Washington’s Metro system. He agreed at a hearing this week to help push for more federal funding for the agency if certain conditions are met.

Meadows has also sponsored a bill that would allow U.S. corporations to bring back their foreign earnings at a lower corporate tax rate and use that revenue to replenish the ailing Highway Trust Fund, among other things.

“A robust and efficient infrastructure is critical to growing the economy, driving down unemployment, and putting our country on track towards a balanced budget,” Meadows says on his website.

“The Constitution makes it clear that one of the primary goals of the federal government is to establish roads and highways in order to facilitate commerce between the states.”

Perry believes infrastructure investment must be done responsibly but says public-private partnerships could be one option to enhance transportation and boost economic development.

Freedom Caucus member Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) is not on the Transportation Committee but is one of the lead sponsors on legislation to allow U.S. multinational corporations to repatriate earnings at a mandatory, one-time tax of 8.75 percent.

Those revenues would be used to improve the nation’s infrastructure, with an estimated $120 billion going to the Highway Trust Fund, $50 billion going to an infrastructure bank and $25 million going to a pilot program focused on rural infrastructure.

With reports that the White House may now move tax reform and infrastructure at the same time, momentum could be building for Yoho’s bill.

“This is neither a Democratic or Republican issue,” Yoho said during a recent meeting with reporters. “We’re looking at problems and we’re looking at solutions that are neither Democratic or Republican. They’re American solutions. That’s what I love about this opportunity.”

Other conservatives not in the Freedom Caucus could also support Trump’s infrastructure push. Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), who often sides with the far-right group, teamed up with DeFazio on a bill that would lift the federal cap on passenger fees in order to help airports pay for facility upgrades.

Shuster points out that the conference has come together to move infrastructure bills in recent years, including a multi-year surface highway bill and a major waterways bill.

“When you talk to some of these [Freedom Caucus] members, they believe as I do the government has a limited role. The first and foremost is national security, but second is the building of infrastructure. It’s a core function,” Shuster said.

“If you look at where a lot of those ports are in need of investment, it’s Georgia, it’s South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida. That’s where a lot of our Freedom Caucus friends live. So they know the importance of infrastructure.”

Any transportation investment bill, however, can’t add to the deficit in order to garner the support of fiscal conservatives. It will also have to place a heavy emphasis on leveraging private-sector dollars for public-private partnerships — the preferred funding tool among Republicans, but one that could trip up support among Democrats if there is no direct federal spending along with it.

Conservatives could also take issue with funneling money toward projects that look like earmarks or “government boondoggles.” There could also be reluctance to back anything that looks like Obama’s economic stimulus package, which was criticized for how long “shovel-ready” projects took to get off the ground.

But Trump’s infrastructure proposal doesn’t necessarily need the backing of the Freedom Caucus. He could negotiate a deal with Democrats, especially in the Senate, where Democratic senators have signaled they are open to working with the president on an infrastructure package.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/326801-freedom-caucus-poised-for-pivotal-role-in-infrastructure-fight
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Freedom Caucus poised for pivotal role in infrastructure fight
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »
Considering the fact that Trump asked the unions to send him an infrastructure wish list, we should collect the money in a big pile and burn it.

Trump requests, and receives, infrastructure priority list from builders union

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,255875.0.html

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
                                                             Shovel Ready v2.0
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 03:53:52 pm »
Before any money is spent on infrastructure we need to know where the last trillion went and recoup as much of it as possible and that can be used for infrastructure spending.

When the last infrastructure spending was approved, this little bridge near my home was 2 lanes. now its down to one due to the massive holes to the water. I don't want to hear about infrastructure spending till we find out what happened to it last time.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »
Sounds to me like he wants to make W and Obama the second and third most profligate spenders in American political history.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »
Like any of us are surprised a lifelong NY Liberal Democrat wants to burn through another trillion in 'spending' and funneling it through the unions????

Hopefully the few Conservatives with spines will hold fast and gum up the works so this spending spree is sunk before it is launched.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 05:06:47 pm »
Like any of us are surprised a lifelong NY Liberal Democrat wants to burn through another trillion in 'spending' and funneling it through the unions????

Hopefully the few Conservatives with spines will hold fast and gum up the works so this spending spree is sunk before it is launched.

While its not 1914 anymore, this is how we used to do it in my little hometown.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 05:42:38 pm »
I would vote against this debt-increasing boondoggle on general principle.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »
Before any money is spent on infrastructure we need to know where the last trillion went and recoup as much of it as possible and that can be used for infrastructure spending.

Some of it went to "weatherize" a few houses. (whose?). Apparently it costs more to "weatherize" an old house than the old house is worth. I bet most of it ended up in well-connected pockets.

Offline anubias

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:29:43 pm »
Italics kills my eyes.  Just saying...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 06:41:09 pm »
Sounds to me like he wants to make W and Obama the second and third most profligate spenders in American political history.

Damn it! @txradioguy --- you've gone and cracked the code!!!!    *****rollingeyes*****

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »

Maybe this explains in part the attack on the HFC. They are strong fiscal conservatives.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home