Author Topic: True blue passport REBORN: £500million project will replace EU document post-Brexit  (Read 331 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In the week Britain began the formal process of leaving the European Union with the triggering of Article 50, the Home Office put a contract out to tender for the “design, production and personalisation of the UK passport” post-2019.

High-level discussions have already taken place with potential bidders to reintroduce the traditional navy design, below, as a backdrop to the iconic gold lion and unicorn royal coat of arms.

Since the historic referendum result in June last year, patriotic MPs have been calling for the rebirth of the dark blue passport as a symbol of the UK regaining sovereignty from the EU.

They want to see the burgundy passports, which have previously been described as a source of national humiliation, ditched after Britain was forced to adopt the uniform design by the EU back in 1988.

The new passports will come into existence in 2019, the year Britain leaves the EU.

Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell, chairman of the Flags and Heraldry Committee, said: “It’s a matter of identity. Having the pink European passports has been a source of humiliation. It merged us into one European identity, which isn’t what we are.

“The old dark blue design was a distinct, clear and bold statement of what it means to be British, which is just what our citizens need as they travel abroad after Brexit.”

Tory MP Andrew Bridgen said: “As we get our sovereignty back, I’m looking forward to getting my British passport back too.”

More: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/786788/brexit-passport-design-uk-dark-blue-home-office-project-eu-article-50

Look, I know it's not important. It will be nice to have the old style back though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink