Author Topic: Op-Ed History isn't a 'useless' major. It teaches critical thinking, something America needs plenty more of  (Read 436 times)

rangerrebew

Op-Ed History isn't a 'useless' major. It teaches critical thinking, something America needs plenty more of

Since the beginning of the Great Recession in 2007, the history major has lost significant market share in academia, declining from 2.2% of all undergraduate degrees to 1.7%. The graduating class of 2014, the most recent for which there are national data, included 9% fewer history majors than the previous year’s cohort, compounding a 2.8% decrease the year before that. The drop is most pronounced at large research universities and prestigious liberal arts colleges.

This is unfortunate — not just for those colleges, but for our economy and polity.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-grossman-history-major-in-decline-20160525-snap-story.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:05:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Well, in my neck of the woods, many school districts no longer teach history or geography. The claim is there isn't enough money, so they have to cut the curticulum.  But these districts always seem to have enough money for courses like African American Heritage,  foreign culture (teaching Islam) and of course, sports. 

And for those who do attend history classes -- they aren't taught history.  They are indoctrinated.  I remember being taught years ago that FDR was a hero because he brought this country out of the Depression.  In reality, he prolonged the Great Depression.  The kids are taught hero worship -- only those heroes approved by their teachers and the school administration.  President Reagan wouldn't qualify.  I suspect the same would occur at college level.

I've met people from other countries who know more about this nation's history than the people who live here.  That doesn't bode well for this country in relation to the rest of the world.