Exclusive Content > News

I-85 collapse: Three arrested after major fire under Atlanta highway

<< < (2/3) > >>

LateForLunch:

Yeah, once the PVC gets going it burns pretty good (and that explains all of the black smoke).

This highlights what may become an increasing problem in the USA and throughout the world - razers.

Alfred (Michael Caine): Some just want to watch the world burn.

That term is currently so unfamiliar to our culture that it triggers the spell checker because it doesn't recognize it as a word at all.

The word "raze" or "rase" derives from Old English "scratch or incise" which derives from French rase, "to shave off, remove".

We have heard of the word in regard to "razing" (demolishing) a building or more archaically, to raze a town to the ground (which seems odd to the ear because we think  of "raising up").

I once read a science fiction story in which a culture was beset by a sub-culture which spent most of its time running around destroying things that the mainstream culture built. They were known as "razers" and were hunted like animals and killed on sight.

With the lunatic leftists running things more and more, helping to create and normalize things like double-digit unemployment or "cradle-to-grave" poverty in first tier economies, we will doubtless see things like this more and more.

A psychologist once postulated that one of the basic human needs, in addition to food, water, shelter from the elements, medical treatment, is "esteem" or, "a sense that one is worthy and powerful". When people, for whatever reason, feel unworthy and powerless, they begin to feel as if they are no longer a part of Humanity - that they have been abandoned, left behind and forsaken by those who have decent jobs, property, assets, stability, families.

These disenfranchised people often feel as if they have no stake in or reason to cooperate with or further the laws, rules or goals of the rest of society. Such people will in some cases (often inspired by leftist hate propaganda against capitalism or "the rich") take drugs or drink and work themselves up into a hate frenzy - during which they do violent, destructive things (like arson).

Post-arrest interviews with people who start fires or commit great acts of destruction for no purpose other than "fun" reveal that for many such people, what they sought in their acts was to feel "powerful and important". That is understandable in a twisted way, since they spend so much of their lives feeling insignificant, powerless and minute in the scheme of the universe.

Maybe they didn't really intend to take down the bridge, but they might well have intended to start the biggest fire that they could - and in that they succeeded.

This highlights the potential for a much larger problem, since the homeless, chronically unemployed (and unemployable, mentally-ill) population of the world is so massive and if anything is increasing, not getting smaller.

Our culture will have to face up to the fact that these sort of things may become a chronic problem going forward and that not only ideological terrorists, but disenfranchised nihilists (who believe in nothing but rage) are likely to exploit opportunities to destroy on a large scale if they get the chance.

What we do about it is another thread, perhaps. But I would bet good money that the motivation behind this action will turn out to be three people who started a fire because they wanted to enjoy watching the world burn.

Sanguine:

--- Quote from: LateForLunch on April 03, 2017, 02:29:58 pm ---Yeah, once the PVC gets going it burns pretty good (and that explains all of the black smoke).

This highlights what may become an increasing problem in the USA and throughout the world - razers.

.....they wanted to enjoy watching the world burn.

--- End quote ---

Good comments.  I tend to agree with your analysis.

LateForLunch:

--- Quote from: Sanguine on April 03, 2017, 02:52:02 pm ---Good comments.  I tend to agree with your analysis.

--- End quote ---

It's been said that 10% of the population in any given area keeps it together for the other 90%.

Maybe it's just me, but that ratio seems to be shrinking all the time.

What I wonder is why law enforcement or the city officials who make policy about such things allow a sub culture to live illegally all over the city?

Of course the answer is obvious - because they either can't or won't do anything about it because it's not politically expedient or cost effective. Ignoring the vast and growing numbers of homeless around the cities of the U.S. (most of whom are severely imp[aired by emotional illness) has become an ongoing horror and disgrace. 

Cripplecreek:
It was only a matter of time before the crazy began to flow freely.

The comments are a real treat as well.

--- End quote ---

https://twitter.com/AMike4761/status/849268701274787840

Sanguine:

--- Quote from: LateForLunch on April 04, 2017, 05:45:44 pm ---It's been said that 10% of the population in any given area keeps it together for the other 90%.

Maybe it's just me, but that ratio seems to be shrinking all the time.

What I wonder is why law enforcement or the city officials who make policy about such things allow a sub culture to live illegally all over the city?

Of course the answer is obvious - because they either can't or won't do anything about it because it's not politically expedient or cost effective. Ignoring the vast and growing numbers of homeless around the cities of the U.S. (most of whom are severely imp[aired by emotional illness) has become an ongoing horror and disgrace.

--- End quote ---

Since "homelessness" can and is defined a number of ways, it's hard to get good numbers.  I did find this source which appears to be pretty good: 

--- Quote ---...So, what does homelessness look like in 2016?...:

564,708 people in the U.S. are homeless. According to a recent report, over half a million people were living on the streets, in cars, in homeless shelters, or in subsidized transitional housing during a one-night national survey last January. Of that number, 206,286 were people in families, 358,422 were individuals, and a quarter of the entire group were children.*

83,170 individuals, or 15% of the homeless population, are considered “chronically homeless.” Chronic homelessness is defined as an individual who has a disability and has experienced homelessness for a year or longer, or and individual who has a disability and has experienced at least four episodes of homelessness in the last three years (must be a cumulative of 12 months). Families with at least one adult member who meets that description are also considered chronically homeless.As the National Alliance to End Homelessness explains, “While people experiencing chronic homelessness make up a small number of the overall homeless population, they are among the most vulnerable. They tend to have high rates of behavioral health problems, including severe mental illness and substance use disorders; conditions that may be exacerbated by physical illness, injury, or trauma.”

47,725, or about 8% of the homeless population, are veterans. This represents a 35% decrease since 2009. Homeless veterans have served in several different conflicts from WWII to the recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Washington, D.C., has the highest rate of veteran homelessness in the nation (145.8 homeless veterans per 10,000). 45% of homeless veterans are black or Hispanic. While less than 10% of homeless veterans are women, that number is rising...

http://www.socialsolutions.com/blog/2016-homelessness-statistics/
--- End quote ---

* Children, as in 18 and under.

So, if my numbers are correct, that's about 1.7% of the whole population.  Since that's a homeless advocacy site, I suspect their numbers are on the generous side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version