Author Topic: Counter Tops  (Read 1022 times)

Offline mrclose

Counter Tops
« on: March 27, 2017, 11:32:09 pm »
This is just a general information question.

I know that it would be impossible to get an exact cost on this.

My better half has now replaced all of our appliances with  incredibly expensive stainless steel appliances and is now on the hunt for new "incredibly expensive" counter-tops!  8888crybaby

We have one long counter that is L shaped.
10 foot long run with a 2 foot turn to the right.

There is a small counter area on the right side of the oven which is around 2 feet by 1 foot.

Of course .. she wants to go with quartz!  :shrug:

If my math is correct then the total area is around  22 square?

If there is a pro in here or if anyone has had a similar "Break The Bank" purchasing experience .. I would sure appreciate a 'ballpark' estimate of cost and thus .. How many more years must I trudge off to work at 4 in the morning?

Please, break it to me gently!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Counter Tops
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:34:25 pm »
According to homeadvisor (who are pretty canny on prices) you are looking at about $75 per square foot. Plus installation.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:38:55 pm »

My better half has now replaced all of our appliances with  incredibly expensive stainless steel appliances and is now on the hunt for new "incredibly expensive" counter-tops!  8888crybaby

There is a small counter area on the right side of the oven which is around 2 feet by 1 foot.

If there is a pro in here or if anyone has had a similar "Break The Bank" purchasing experience .. I would sure appreciate a 'ballpark' estimate of cost and thus .. How many more years must I trudge off to work at 4 in the morning?

Please, break it to me gently!

Draw a diagram with all the measurements and go to all the places that sell countertops.

Most places like Home Depot or Lowes come to your house for free estimates...good luck
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 04:17:20 pm »

I would suggest you shop around. The cost is going to range from $50 to $100 per sq. ft depending on the quality of the stone. Deal directly with counter top people. Don't call up a cabinet shop, for example, looking for stone. I work in a cabinet shop and we do laminate tops all the time. But never stone--quartz, granite, or solid surface. We sub that out. So there is an upcharge. We use local stone counter top shops. Most people just rely on the cabinet shop to handle that when they are getting new cabinets and tops.

Check on Angie's list for reviews of local businesses. Everything should be included in the price. Edge details, backsplash, sink cutouts, etc. Installation price is going to vary based on distance and install conditions. The farther they have to travel the more it is going to cost you. And that stone has to lay flat. So your cabinets have to be level/flat. That stone isn't going to conform in the least. A laminate top will do that to some extent. If they have to level up your cabinets it will cost more on install. But install isn't that involved and shouldn't take long. Make sure they include plumbing hookup in the price unless you can handle that yourself. Some places will put in your top and then, if you don't have the experience and or tools to set the sink/ dishwasher, etc. you will have to pay more to get someone that can.

So talk to several different places. Compare prices with Home Depot/Lowe's with the other shops. Closer local is better. And with the local shops you should be able to inspect the inventory and select your own stone. I don't know if you can do that with Home Depot/Lowe's.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley