Author Topic: South Carolina U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford: Trump threatened to back primary challenger against me  (Read 1374 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 South Carolina U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford: Trump threatened to back primary challenger against me

By Emma Dumain edumain@postandcourier.com Mar 30, 2017 Updated 3 hrs ago

WASHINGTON — Against the backdrop of crumbling negotiations over the GOP bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, President Donald Trump said last week he wanted to oust incumbent U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford in 2018.

The South Carolina Republican told The Post and Courier that Trump chose to convey this message through an intermediary: White House budget chief Mick Mulvaney, a former member of the S.C. congressional delegation, co-founder of the House Freedom Caucus and a friend.

"'The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,'" Sanford said Mulvaney told him.

more
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/south-carolina-u-s-rep-mark-sanford-trump-threatened-to/article_47e680c2-155e-11e7-883e-5f89fc5a8c7b.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline r9etb

"'The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,'" Sanford said Mulvaney told him.

A caudillo (Spanish pronunciation: [kawˈdiʎo]; Old Spanish: cabdillo, from Latin capitellum, diminutive of caput "head") is a type of personalist leader wielding political power. There is no precise definition of caudillo, which is often used interchangeably with "dictator" and "strongman."

geronl

Trump will be getting a lot of Democrats elected n 2018 if he keeps this up

Silver Pines

What's Trump going to do, put a horse's head in Sanford's bed?

Online cato potatoe

If Mark can get reelected after hiking the Appalachian Trail, I don't think he needs to worry about Trump.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
If Mark can get reelected after hiking the Appalachian Trail, I don't think he needs to worry about Trump.

LOL I was thinking the same. That man can survive about as well as rats and roaches.

Offline Applewood

Trump will be getting a lot of Democrats elected n 2018 if he keeps this up.

Which is probably what he wants.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump is a clown. An asshat with an approval rating in the high 30's and dropping. Probably dropping fast after attacking the Freedom Caucus this morning.

His bark is way worse than his bite.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

What's Trump going to do, put a horse's head in Sanford's bed?

If he does, rest assured it will be the biggest, most beautiful horse's head...
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Trump is a clown. An asshat with an approval rating in the high 30's and dropping. Probably dropping fast after attacking the Freedom Caucus this morning.

His bark is way worse than his bite.

Trump is the Trojan Horse.  I don't know why people can't see it.  He was supposed to lock Hillary up.  Instead he showers her with praise at the Inauguration lunch.  Trumps daughter Tiffany seated with the Clintons.  Ivanka and her husband are liberals.  Who does he choose to advise him?  His liberal daughter and her liberal husband. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Trump is the Trojan Horse.  I don't know why people can't see it.  He was supposed to lock Hillary up.  Instead he showers her with praise at the Inauguration lunch.  Trumps daughter Tiffany seated with the Clintons.  Ivanka and her husband are liberals.  Who does he choose to advise him?  His liberal daughter and her liberal husband.

Yup, I've said all along that he's a political suicide bomber inside the GOP wire.

I look forward to the day when the story comes out about how and why the GOPe let him in. Personally I think it was a miscalculation. They thought they could use Trump to take down the likes of Ted Cruz, remove Trump and hand the nomination to Jeb but it blew up in their faces. About that time they decided it was better to deal with Trump who didn't have principles than risk allowing Cruz in the white house so the GOPe threw their support behind Trump.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Wonder how long it will take the explainers and the defenders to come in here and tell us why Sanford needs to go?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline r9etb

Wonder how long it will take the explainers and the defenders to come in here and tell us why Sanford needs to go?

The explainers and defenders seem to have become rather muted in their explanations and defenses....  Not that they don't still shout about other stuff, but they seem to have moderated their views on Mr. Trump's wonderful qualities.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The explainers and defenders seem to have become rather muted in their explanations and defenses....  Not that they don't still shout about other stuff, but they seem to have moderated their views on Mr. Trump's wonderful qualities.

The worship is fading?  Does anybody have the Kushner's voting record?  They are in effect leading the country.  Trump does nothing without his daughter.  As far as I know all of them are liberal and Donald didn't even vote for half of his adult life.  Later voting with a much mixed record.  Looks like he voted for Obama in 2008.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/07/donald-trumps-got-a-particularly-strange-voting-history/?utm_term=.74b8531616a6
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Silver Pines

If he does, rest assured it will be the biggest, most beautiful horse's head...

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

That I can tell you! 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You seem to misunderstand @r9etb ... First, if it's fair for a sitting Congresscritter to block the President's agenda, then it's fair for the POTUS to oppose his/her reelection and support an opponent. There's really nothing to debate on the issue, IMO.  :shrug:

Second, I've followed this thread and have LOL reading "principled, Christian conservatives" sidestep the realities of Mark Sanford to focus their venom on the President.  It's incredulous that there has been only fleeting, coded reference to Sanford's long-term adultery, his disappearance and abdication of his responsibilities as a sitting Governor and subsequent censure--skirting full removal from office only because he was so close to the end of his term.   The hypocrisy is noted.

Carry on.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:09:42 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline r9etb

You seem to misunderstand @r9etb ... First, if it's fair for a sitting Congresscritter to block the President's agenda, then it's fair for the POTUS to oppose his/her reelection and support an opponent. There's really nothing to debate on the issue, IMO.  :shrug:

Second, I've followed this thread and have LOL reading "principled, Christian conservatives" sidestep the realities of Mark Sanford to focus their venom on the President.  It's incredulous that there has been only fleeting, coded reference to Sanford's long-term adultery, his disappearance and abdication of his responsibilities as a sitting Governor and subsequent censure--skirting full removal from office only because he was so close to the end of his term.   The hypocrisy is noted.

Carry on.

I'll just point out that you're one of the ones who has most obviously muted her previously predictable defense of Mr. Trump.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

No idea about Sanford.  But, I will say that a lot of conservatives threaten to "primary" anyone who doesn't vote their way, so it would be a bit odd to complain about it being done to conservatives.

And not that I agree on primarying conservatives -- I don't.  Just pointing out that "primarying" those within the party who don't agree with people seems a pretty common threat.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I'll just point out that you're one of the ones who has most obviously muted her previously predictable defense of Mr. Trump.

Thank you for noticing @r9etb   But, haters are gonna hate---and neither facts nor reason will stop them.  I try to limit the energy and time I waste.  :shrug:

Have you anything of substance to add in reply to my original post to you? 

Offline r9etb

Thank you for noticing @r9etb   But, haters are gonna hate---and neither facts nor reason will stop them.  I try to limit the energy and time I waste.  :shrug:

Have you anything of substance to add in reply to my original post to you?

Seeing as I don't much care about Sanford either way, there's not much to say about your original post. The idea of Trump basically ruling by threats -- and this is far from the only one, recently -- that really ought to concern you.

Offline r9etb

And not that I agree on primarying conservatives -- I don't.  Just pointing out that "primarying" those within the party who don't agree with people seems a pretty common threat.

That said, the president threatening to "primary" people as a means of bending them to his will -- it's a particularly stupid way to try to build a political coalition at a time when he really needs to do so.