Author Topic: Should You Take Melatonin for Insomnia?  (Read 993 times)

rangerrebew

Should You Take Melatonin for Insomnia?
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »
Should You Take Melatonin for Insomnia?

Insomnia is a very common medical condition in today's high-stress world.  Aside from prescription drugs, you may have been curious about over-the-counter melatonin supplements. But do they work?  Are they safe? 

By House Call Doctor Sanaz Majd on March 29, 2017

Insomnia is such a prevalent medical condition in this day and age of our fast-paced world. Juggling the hustle and bustle of everyday life, whether it is school, work, parenting, or family, can really do a number on our stress levels. Add a tinge of anxiety and depression, and this can be a recipe for some major sleepless nights.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/should-you-take-melatonin-for-insomnia/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:41:18 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Should You Take Melatonin for Insomnia?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 01:16:15 pm »
I have found melatonin to be helpful in combating insomnia, which I have dealt with all my life. I would advise using the lowest effective dose (start with 1 mg supplements), and take it 20 minutes before going to bed.  It will make you feel drowsy, but in too-large amounts, the effects can linger into the next day, and also produce some dizziness or nausea.

Other important precautions are mentioned in the full article - here.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:24:47 pm »
Since I'm diabetic, I can't take Melatonin, but I know people who do and they think it's a godsend.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:32:05 pm »
Insomnia is productive pondering time.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:36:21 pm »
Its also useful for dogs.   My dog gets very stressed during storms and this helps to calm him down.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:31:22 pm »
Its also useful for dogs.   My dog gets very stressed during storms and this helps to calm him down.

I will have to try that.  I give mine St. John's Wort and it is somewhat successful.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:34:01 pm »
I will have to try that.  I give mine St. John's Wort and it is somewhat successful.

We get it at the supermarket.   Read up on dosage but its pretty much just one pill.  Our dog was fine until our house was struck by lightning.   Now his entire body shakes as soon as he hears thunder.    This calms him down and he mostly sleeps through the storms.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:20:26 am »
I took melatonin and didn't notice a difference.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 05:24:45 am »
It does help most of the time. It tends to dehydrate you so take with some liquids. Really works well with warm milk.
The Republic is lost.