Author Topic: Marine found near death refuses to quit a grueling challenge he needed to feel alive  (Read 1042 times)

rangerrebew

Marine found near death refuses to quit a grueling challenge he needed to feel alive

By Cameron Probert

Marine Cpl. Bryant Scott was dying when he arrived at a San Diego hospital in late July.

Suffering from heat stroke, the 27-year-old’s liver was shutting down and his heart stopped several times.
Bryant Scott of Kennewick stands at the finish line of the Badger Mountain Challenge early Saturday morning after running 50 miles in 18.5 hours. Courtesy Bryant Scott

Doctors told the Kennewick native’s family there was a 10 percent chance for his recovery.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article141746204.html#storylink=cpy

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Idiot.

But a gutsy idiot.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Nah. Smart. Life is more than eating and breathing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Nah. Smart. Life is more than eating and breathing.

Right.  That's why you don't push through heat exhaustion and heat stroke.  Because you want to keep doing all those other things beyond eating and breathing.  I can absolutely guaranteed that Marine was trained on spotting that stuff, how to prevent it, etc..  And I'll bet his buddies told him he was a dumbshit for almost killing himself, too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:44:14 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This is the phenomenon known as "Ultra-Running" (I think, the ultras even run further than 50 miles but I'll go with that) and not that I agree with it. I guess, it's the way Cross-Fit seems to be an excessive workout.

They do it a lot in the desert, Death Valley, in mountains, Grand Junction, canyons and so forth.  Just be in the condition to do this.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
There are those mud challenges too now; tough mudders, etc. A number of events that test to the max.

Some of the scenery though, wow.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:09:01 am by TomSea »