Author Topic: The False Compassion of Liberalism  (Read 550 times)

rangerrebew

The False Compassion of Liberalism
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:01:29 pm »
The False Compassion of Liberalism
Stephen Moore

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 12:01 AM

Last week on CNN I debated a liberal commentator who complained that the problem with President Donald Trump's budget blueprint is that it lacks "compassion" for the poor, for children and for the disabled. This woman went on to ask me how I could defend a budget that would cut Meals on Wheels, after-school programs and special-education funding, because without the federal dollars, these vital services would go away.

This ideology -- that the government action is a sign of compassion -- is upside-down and contrary to the Christian notion of charity.

We all, as individuals, can and should act compassionately and charitably. We can volunteer our time, energy and dollars to help the underprivileged. We can feed the hungry, house the homeless. Most of us feel a moral and ethical responsibility to do so -- to "do unto others."

https://townhall.com/columnists/stephenmoore/2017/03/28/the-false-compassion-of-liberalism-n2304965?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:02:15 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline LMAO

Re: The False Compassion of Liberalism
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 02:04:37 pm »
I have relatives who believe that they paying taxes  is  evidence of their altruism.

I ask them if that's the case, why do they take legal deductions that they're  entitled to?

Liberals confuse good intentions with actual results
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:12:18 pm »
Charity is generosity with your own money.
Liberalism is generosity with other people's money.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49:12 pm »
Charity is generosity with your own money.
Liberalism is generosity with other people's money.
"Liberalism is generosity with other people's money."

Yes, and how many Hollyweird millionaires and billionaires have volunteered to house all the illegals of whom they want to flood the U.S. ?
I haven't heard any of the notorious big mouth libs and leftists volunteer to shelter the poor unfortunates on their vast estates. Where's all the compassion for the illegals ...er....undocument immigrants...er ....dreamers among the super-wealthy liberal establishment?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:30:46 pm »
I have relatives who believe that they paying taxes  is  evidence of their altruism.

I ask them if that's the case, why do they take legal deductions that they're  entitled to?

Liberals confuse good intentions with actual results
Scrooge from the Christmas Carol had that problem. He thought being taxed for the public institutions was enough, without regard to weather they actually helped people. Most folks know the story and miss the point.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:13:16 pm »
Scrooge from the Christmas Carol had that problem. He thought being taxed for the public institutions was enough, without regard to weather they actually helped people. Most folks know the story and miss the point.

Funny you mentioned Scrooge.

I told them that's who they sounded like when the issue came up
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy