Author Topic: Lee: Nuclear option justified after Dems used it in 2013  (Read 635 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lee: Nuclear option justified after Dems used it in 2013
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:37:36 pm »
Lee: Nuclear option justified after Dems used it in 2013
By Lydia Wheeler - 03/29/17 02:23 PM EDT

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) says Democrats would have no room to complain if the GOP altered filibuster rules during Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch’s confirmation vote because they did the same thing in 2013.

Lee on Wednesday pointed to Senate Democrats’ 2013 move which ended filibusters on nearly all judicial nominees — except for the Supreme Court.

more
http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/326357-lee-nuclear-option-justified-after-dems-used-it-in-2013
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Re: Lee: Nuclear option justified after Dems used it in 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:39:53 pm »
Two wrongs make a right, who knew?

If the Democrats jump off a cliff, the GOP will surely follow.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:44:29 pm »

If the Founding Father's had meant for everything to take 60 votes to pass the senate they'd have said so. They rules can change and for good reason.

At the least they need to actually make the dems filibuster and read the phone book all night so people can see how they are now the evil obstructionist.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:53:41 pm »
I don't think it's a particularly good idea to change the 60-vote rule (after all, we'll be in the minority again at some point),  but the Dems are forcing the issue.    Decades of the decline of bi-partisanship effectively require Senate rules to allow action by a simple majority in order to attend to the peoples' business.     
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:54:41 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:00:00 pm »
I don't think it's a particularly good idea to change the 60-vote rule (after all, we'll be in the minority again at some point),  but the Dems are forcing the issue.    Decades of the decline of bi-partisanship effectively require Senate rules to allow action by a simple majority in order to attend to the peoples' business.     
I was going to tease you about stopping at the first 3 words, but I actually agree with you on this one.  :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:00:37 pm »

Is 60 votes in the Constitution? You might do some research, and get fully up to speed, before spouting inanity.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline anubias

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:28:50 pm »
Is 60 votes in the Constitution? You might do some research, and get fully up to speed, before spouting inanity.

Like that will ever happen.  You're a dreamer, aren't you?