Author Topic: Can We Please Give CruzCare a Try?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline corbe

Can We Please Give CruzCare a Try?
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:54:46 am »

By Peter Heck  |  March 28, 2017, 10:01pm  |  @peterheck

For those keeping score at home, here’s a recap of where the Washington healthcare debacle currently stands:

1.Obama and the Democrats inflict a massively overcomplicated system of healthcare regulations that raised insurance premiums on Americans, decreased insurance options, dictated doctors and coverage, and largely just sucked.
2.Republicans saddled up the Obamacare nightmare and rode it to the electoral bank in 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016, promising that once they had full control, they would repeal the beast.
3.When given full control, the Republicans authored an absurd Obamacare-lite compromise bill that didn’t repeal the beast, but attempted to manicure it. It failed spectacularly.
4.Republican Congressional leadership is now in disarray.
5.President Trump is reverting to his Democrat roots threatening to cut a deal with liberals on healthcare.
6.The most plausible scenario at this point is for the issue to be abandoned and left in its current, unsustainable state.
Democrats will claim victory, Republicans will blame each other, Trump will triangulate to make it seem as though he got from this exactly what he wanted all along or that this is all part of his infinitely genius grand master scheme that no one can fully understand yet.

And Americans get screwed.  In other words, typical Washington.

There is a better way, however. And it is being pushed by the very guy who stated repeatedly throughout the primaries that he actually had a plan for ending the Obamacare nightmare: Ted Cruz.

I gladly admit that I am not a policy wonk. But all that is needed is a modicum of common sense to recognize that many of the problems Obama highlighted in pushing Obamacare are indeed real problems.

It is not right that your co-worker with employee-based insurance, who develops cancer, loses his job because of a recession thus losing his insurance, and then is not able to buy health insurance on the open market because of his “pre-existing condition.” That’s absurd and wrong.

The Obama solution was to force insurance companies to accept anyone with a pre-existing condition. Obviously this is not going to work because people won’t buy insurance until they get sick and need someone else to pay their expensive bills. So to solve that dilemma, Obama ordered that all people buy health insurance whether they want it or not. Forcing people to buy it ostensibly allows insurance companies to make the money they need to cover all these pre-existing condition patients.

It’s heavy-handed government planning and despite its good intentions, it’s not working. So here’s the Cruz idea in a nutshell:

1.First, repeal Obamacare entirely. One simple law that ends it, perhaps with the stipulation that some of its provisions be phased out rather than abruptly halted. The phasing must be complete by the end of Trump’s first term, however, or you are inviting disaster.
2.Mandate insurance be portable, meaning it isn’t tied to your employment. If you lose your job, you don’t lose your health insurance. You have the ability to continue the coverage without interruption as you find new work.
3.Mandate insurance be continuous and renewable, meaning insurance companies are not allowed to jack up your rates or costs because you get sick – that defeats the whole purpose of insurance. If you have been paying a rate for your coverage, but then get very sick, you must be allowed to renew your insurance at the same premium you’ve been paying. This rewards and encourages responsibility.
4.Open up the insurance market across state lines – competition will decrease costs as it always does.
5.Allow people to buy low-cost catastrophic coverage, including the use of health savings accounts.
This is the way forward and it can be done with full Republican support in Congress if leadership would leave their pride behind and get to work.  Never mind your feelings and passions about whether Cruz would have been a better choice than Trump, whether he could have beaten Hillary, or any of that. It doesn’t matter.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/can-we-please-give-cruzcare-a-try/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Can We Please Give CruzCare a Try?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:04:11 am »
CruzCare sounds very similar to RandCare. Just look at what Rand Paul is proposing and compare it with the above Cruz plan  ....

Rand Paul’s proposal draws liberally from the best ideas in other Republican plans, while avoiding many of the pitfalls that make some of those plans unworkable.

He would, for example, dramatically expand health savings accounts (HSAs). HSAs shift control of health-care spending from employers to employees.

Paul’s expansion would allow much larger tax-free contributions to these accounts, and would allow them to be used for a wider variety of health-related expenses, including insurance premiums. That would mean that you — not your boss — would be able to choose your insurance plan. Expanded HSAs would also mean increased portability for health insurance. Because you could use your HSA to pay your premium, you wouldn’t be as likely to lose your insurance if you changed or lost your job.

Paul would also greatly expand competition and choice in the health-insurance market. He would expand association health plans and allow individuals to purchase health insurance through non-traditional groups, such as churches and civic associations. In theory, any person who wanted to purchase group insurance would have the opportunity to do so. And he would legalize the purchase of health insurance across state lines, challenging both the insurance cartels and overzealous state regulators, while allowing individuals to shop for the best price and quality they can find.

Here's the most difficult part of Paul's proposal which will encounter huge resistance --- Paul avoids one of the most significant pitfalls of many Republican plans by not retaining Obamacare’s pre-existing-condition rules. These provisions, which prohibit insurers from denying coverage or charging more to people who are already sick, are among the few popular parts of Obamacare. Yet they are also the reason behind some of the most damaging and unpopular provisions, such as the individual mandate.

Paul would eliminate the pre-existing-condition regulations altogether (after a transition period), while his other reforms would significantly reduce the number of people who genuinely cannot buy health insurance because of a pre-existing condition. For those who still need help, Paul envisions responsibility for covering them being shifted to the states, possibly in conjunction with proposals to block-grant Medicaid ( this plan was in the Ryancare package ).

This would give states the freedom to experiment with ways to cover people who are unable to buy their own insurance for whatever reason, whether pre-existing conditions or low income. Importantly, it prevents a small number of high-cost cases from distorting the rest of the insurance pool. It wouldn’t try to insure the uninsurable, but would provide their health care more directly. After all, it is health care that counts, not health insurance.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:04:34 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:39:18 am »
   First I've read about Paul's plan, Thanks for bringing this here @SirLinksALot
   A lot of it is doable even in this screwed up political climate, I believe.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:53:01 am »
Both plans are a good step in getting government OUT of healthcare and off our backs.

If the 'betters' among us insist on compromise - then the intransigent Left and the Establishment Statists are the ones who need to compromise to this position, and this position remains unmovable.

But I daresay - there is little history of Congress ever agreeing to limit it's power or portents to obtain power, money and control over the people.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:44:36 am »
Both plans are a good step in getting government OUT of healthcare and off our backs.

If the 'betters' among us insist on compromise - then the intransigent Left and the Establishment Statists are the ones who need to compromise to this position, and this position remains unmovable.

But I daresay - there is little history of Congress ever agreeing to limit it's power or portents to obtain power, money and control over the people.

A lot better than Trump/Ryan care.  I think it has catastrophic too.

I think Trump wanted the plan to fail so he could implement a more socialized plan that the Democrats would vote for.  He said he wanted socialized medicine and that everyone would be covered.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:49:17 am »

Lyin' Tedcare? Does he send you by the Dallas Book Depository when you get sick and have you put down by his father by shooting from a grassy knoll?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:52:48 am »

Lyin' Tedcare? Does he send you by the Dallas Book Depository when you get sick and have you put down by his father by shooting from a grassy knoll?

Get up off the ground Frank.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:00 am »
Get up off the ground Frank.

Did you see what I did there? Donny said Teds dad was involved in the JFK assassination.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 05:22:17 am »
Did you see what I did there? Donny said Teds dad was involved in the JFK assassination.

I love ya, Frank, but maybe you do need a drink.  I know I do.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 12:13:52 pm »
I love ya, Frank, but maybe you do need a drink.  I know I do.

With word now that funding for the wall is going to be put on hold; ya, I need one too. Problem is I really don't drink and it isn't even close to being 5:00 anywhere.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:11:31 pm »
Both of these look like good plans. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 01:11:41 pm »
Ted Cruz had some good people on his campaign with some good ideas on health care.

Michigan state senator Pat Colbeck has some great ideas like allowing people to contract and retain doctors for monthly fees and in return the doc would cover routine office visit types of things. At the same time the patient could tailor his oe her coverage and remove that sort of thing from their coverage and cost.

Its something I talked to my dentist about and she likes the idea and would be happy to implement when she takes up a private practice for routine things like cleanings. Cleaning is the one thing my insurance won't pay for and naturally its the most expensive of the things I need done. ($600)

Offline rodamala

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:54:32 pm »
Screw health insurance.

Fix the God-damned government-medical industrial complex itself.  Allow healthcare providers to compete in an open market with windowsticker pricing so that the consumer may choose what level of care they want and what price.

I will hold out for a doctor that will take an x-ray for $40, set the broken bone for $25, have a tech apply a plaster cast for $50, and send me to the bar with a scrip for a bottle of Wild Turkey, to be administered nightly, to ease the pain of existance.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 03:57:06 pm »
Screw health insurance.

Fix the God-damned government-medical industrial complex itself.  Allow healthcare providers to compete in an open market with windowsticker pricing so that the consumer may choose what level of care they want and what price.

I will hold out for a doctor that will take an x-ray for $40, set the broken bone for $25, have a tech apply a plaster cast for $50, and send me to the bar with a scrip for a bottle of Wild Turkey, to be administered nightly, to ease the pain of existance.

Exactly, @rodamala.  It's easy to confuse health "insurance" with healthcare.   

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 04:47:33 pm »
CruzCare is fine, but it is missing two key components that will help fix healthcare:

1. Tort reform. We must be realistic about medical malpractice. There is gross negligence, and there are doctors that are trying their best - like you do with YOUR job - but sometimes don't get it right. Medicine is currently administered by human beings, but malpractice law favors perfection in doctors. This has to end. Awards should be reasonable, and certainly not more than what the standard individual carries for life insurance. Except in the case of gross negligence or criminal intent which are - of course - totally separate things. In those cases, punitive damages should target the criminal's personal assets, not the insurance companies. Finally, tort reform should apply to medical supply providers as well so that a frickin' cloth cravat, made with $1 worth of materials, does not cost $190.

2. Transparent pricing. Every hospital should be able to tell you the standard price for a given procedure. This should NOT be a mystery to consumers. Nor should it be dependent on how hard your insurance agency negotiates with the hospital. If we can make fast food restaurants show calories on a menu, I can't believe we can't tell hospitals that they need to be able to communicate complication-free up-front pricing. There is no competition if consumers can't comparison shop. Prices should be communicated to all patients capable of understanding before treatment is administered. If a nurse hands me an aspirin, and it is going to cost $30, they should say, "I'd like you to take this aspirin - it will be $30. Refusal to take it places me in a hold-harmless for complications for the care you receive."

These things need to be in our reform or the system will never be fixed.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 05:18:41 pm »

Frank, Frank, come on now, you know that's not how it would be...............they're much more modern now, they give you you yummy arsenic cookies and Kool-Aid, besides Rafael's eyesight and reflexes just aren't what they used to be. :whistle:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 06:20:39 pm »
Frank, Frank, come on now, you know that's not how it would be...............they're much more modern now, they give you you yummy arsenic cookies and Kool-Aid, besides Rafael's eyesight and reflexes just aren't what they used to be. :whistle:

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline r9etb

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 07:00:38 pm »
1.First, repeal Obamacare entirely. One simple law that ends it, perhaps with the stipulation that some of its provisions be phased out rather than abruptly halted. The phasing must be complete by the end of Trump’s first term, however, or you are inviting disaster.

No "perhaps" about those stipulations.  Setting aside the recently-demonstrated fact that simple repeal is politically impossible, the disruption caused by not phasing things out will result in actual people suffering actual harm through lack of coverage.  That's bad for the people involved, and really bad politics. 

A more politically workable solution for the people  most likely to be hurt by repeal is -- sorry, folks -- some form of replacement for some segment of the population.

2.Mandate insurance be portable, meaning it isn’t tied to your employment. If you lose your job, you don’t lose your health insurance. You have the ability to continue the coverage without interruption as you find new work.

Easy to say, hard to do.  Most people are covered under company-subsidized health plans, where the heavy lifting for negotiating coverage, premiums, and formularies is shouldered by large corporations.  Transitioning from that model to portable individual policies will disrupt how companies manage compensation; require significant changes to tax policies; and may very well lead to higher costs for a lot of people because they'd be moved into smaller risk pools, and individuals don't have the same negotiating heft as, say, Lockheed-Martin or WalMart.  It would take a few years for the disruption to settle out.

3.Mandate insurance be continuous and renewable, meaning insurance companies are not allowed to jack up your rates or costs because you get sick – that defeats the whole purpose of insurance. If you have been paying a rate for your coverage, but then get very sick, you must be allowed to renew your insurance at the same premium you’ve been paying. This rewards and encourages responsibility.

The "rewards and encourages responsibility" bit is advertising twaddle and can be ignored.  The meat of this suggestion is that insurance companies are required to pay for pre-existing conditions.  This is great for people who have pre-existing conditions and I actually support some form of the idea; but it's also the same requirement that has made Obamacare plans so expensive.

Moreover, a plain reading of this point suggests that once a person gets sick, he'll effectively be unable to shop around unless the "fixed premium" provision is made to apply to other insurers offering comparable plans.

4.Open up the insurance market across state lines – competition will decrease costs as it always does.

Maybe.  It would perhaps increase the size of the various risk pools, and therefore reduce costs.  But the "competition will decrease costs" line is again advertising twaddle.  Competition may decrease premiums, but as we've already seen with Obamacare that reduction is most likely offset by increased deductibles and limitations on coverage. 

The only plausible way for reducing the cost of health insurance, is to somehow address the costs of the medical care those plans are paying for.  So as has been suggested, things like Tort Reform are essential.  I'd say that finding ways to simplify the terms and use of insurance is likewise necessary.

5.Allow people to buy low-cost catastrophic coverage, including the use of health savings accounts.

This is fine.

This is the way forward and it can be done with full Republican support in Congress if leadership would leave their pride behind and get to work.  Never mind your feelings and passions about whether Cruz would have been a better choice than Trump, whether he could have beaten Hillary, or any of that. It doesn’t matter.

It's a place to start the deal-making.  It's not a workable plan.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:03:27 pm by r9etb »