General Category > Military/Defense News

All U.S. F/A-18 Hornet models affected by oxygen deprivation and cabin decompression issues

(1/3) > >>

endicom:
The Aviationist
David Cenciotti
Mar. 29, 2017

Legacy and Super Hornet showing a concerning steady increase in “physiological episodes” that U.S. Navy calls “No.1 safety issue.”

The F/A-18 Hornets of all variants seems to be affected by a serious issue: oxygen shortage, or hypoxia, is plaguing the fleet of Legacy (A/B/C/D), Super Hornet (E/F) and Growler (EA-18G).

As reported by Bloomberg News, the F/A-18 of all models have shown a steady yearly increases of what the Navy calls “physiological episodes” due to oxygen deprivation and cabin decompression since the since May 1, 2010.

Navy officials testifying before the House Armed Services subcommittee called the problem the “No.1 safety issue.”

And what is even more concerning is the fact that there seem to be little clue as to what is causing the issue.

The “lack of overall progress” is “of great concern,” said Representative Niki Tsongas, the top Democrat in the panel.

More... https://theaviationist.com/2017/03/29/all-u-s-fa-18-hornet-models-affected-by-oxygen-deprivation-and-cabin-decompression-issues/

r9etb:

--- Quote from: endicom on March 29, 2017, 04:15:30 pm ---And what is even more concerning is the fact that there seem to be little clue as to what is causing the issue.

--- End quote ---

If it's increasing as the aircraft age, it's gotta be a materials issue of some sort.  I wouldn't be surprised if the failure rate was correlated with number of takeoffs.

endicom:

--- Quote from: r9etb on March 29, 2017, 04:55:13 pm ---If it's increasing as the aircraft age, it's gotta be a materials issue of some sort.  I wouldn't be surprised if the failure rate was correlated with number of takeoffs.

--- End quote ---

The oxygen deprivation and/or decompression issue seems to be in new or old.

This report comes mostly from a Bloomberg news report, https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-28/pilots-short-of-oxygen-keep-vexing-boeing-f-18-jet-trump-favors, which is clearly meant to slam Trump for his touting of the Super Hornet. Nonetheless, the problems are probably as stated.

And missing is whether foreign nations are having these problems with their Hornets or Super Hornets.

r9etb:

--- Quote from: endicom on March 29, 2017, 05:28:44 pm ---
The oxygen deprivation and/or decompression issue seems to be in new or old.

--- End quote ---

So ... perhaps it's new parts being made of different stuff than old parts, and the failure rate increases as old parts are replaced with new ones. 

endicom:

--- Quote from: r9etb on March 29, 2017, 05:31:41 pm ---So ... perhaps it's new parts being made of different stuff than old parts, and the failure rate increases as old parts are replaced with new ones.

--- End quote ---

Could be but I don't know. Which puts me on par with the Navy, apparently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version