Author Topic: Trump administration tried to block Sally Yates from testifying in House Intel's Trump/Russia ties investigation  (Read 491 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump administration sought to block Sally Yates from testifying to Congress on Russia

The Trump administration sought to block former acting attorney general Sally Yates from testifying to Congress in the House
investigation of links between Russian officials and Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, The Washington Post has learned,
a position that is likely to further anger Democrats who have accused Republicans of trying to damage the inquiry.
According to letters The Post reviewed, the Justice Department notified Yates earlier this month that the administration
considers a great deal of her possible testimony to be barred from discussion in a congressional hearing because the topics are
covered by the presidential communication privilege.
Yates and other former intelligence officials had been asked to testify before the House Intelligence Committee this week, a
hearing that was abruptly canceled by the panel’s chairman, Rep. Devin Nunes (R­Calif.). Yates was the deputy attorney general
in the final years of the Obama administration, and served as the acting attorney general in the first days of the Trump
administration.
President Trump fired Yates in January after she ordered Justice Department lawyers not to defend his first immigration
order temporarily banning entry to United States for citizens of seven Muslim­majority countries and refugees from around
the world.
As acting attorney general, Yates played a key part in the investigation surrounding Michael T. Flynn, a Trump campaign aide
who became national security adviser before revelations that he had discussed sanctions with the Russian ambassador to the
United States in late December led to his ouster.
The White House and the Justice Department had no immediate comment

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Trump administration sought to block Sally Yates from testifying to Congress on Russia

I doubt this investigation is going to go anywhere.  If Trump is allowed to bar people's testimony.

To me it only looks like he is hiding something.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline SirLinksALot

Lest we forget?

Gowdy: Do you know whether Director Clapper knew the name of the U.S. citizen that appeared in the New York Times and Washington Post?
Comey: I can’t say in this forum because I again I do not want to confirm there was classified information in the newspaper.

Gowdy: Would he have had access to an unmasked name?
Comey: In some circumstances, sure, he was the director of National Intelligence. But I’m not talking about the particular.

Gowdy: Would Director Brennan have access to an unmasked U.S. citizen’s name?
Comey: In some circumstances, yes.

Gowdy: Would National Security Advisor Susan Rice have access to an unmasked U.S. citizen’s name?
Comey: Yes, in general, and any other national security advisor would, I think, as a matter of the ordinary course of their business.

Gowdy: Would former White House advisor Ben Rhodes have access to an unmasked citizen’s name?
Comey: I do not know the answer to that.

Gowdy: Would former Attorney General Loretta Lynch have access to an unmasked U.S. citizen’s name?
Comey: In general, yes, as would any attorney general.

Gowdy: So that would also include Acting A.G. Sally Yates?
Comey: Same answer.

SOURCE: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gowdy-points-to-obama-officials-as-potential-flynn-leakers

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I doubt this investigation is going to go anywhere.  If Trump is allowed to bar people's testimony.

To me it only looks like he is hiding something.

Trump cannot. But his allies in Congress certainly can.

It does look like he's hiding something but what? I have no idea.

Offline corbe

Sally Yates is a Dem hack, she has already proven her animosity toward Trump in the first EO disaster on Immigration, appointed by obummer there is more downside than up to having her testify about Trump, and Schumer preventing Sessions from getting any help at justice is a downright disgrace.
   It certainly appears that some kind of coverup is going on though.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Rivergirl

Yates warned DT about Flynn's conversations and connections.  He chose to ignore her advice and kept Flynn on until he became too hot to handle.