Author Topic: Tesla 'autopilot' car hits Phoenix police motorcycle  (Read 633 times)

Offline thackney

Tesla 'autopilot' car hits Phoenix police motorcycle
« on: March 28, 2017, 03:27:13 pm »
Tesla 'autopilot' car hits Phoenix police motorcycle
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/03/27/tesla-self-driving-car-hits-phoenix-police-motorcycle-second-accident-involving-automated-vehicles-days/99710786/
 March 27, 2017

...Phoenix police on Monday confirmed that the incident occurred when a Tesla driver and an on-duty officer exited the Black Canyon Freeway onto Utopia Road on the afternoon of March 21.

The officer, who was in front of the Tesla driver, stopped for a stoplight, police said. After also stopping briefly, the Tesla began moving forward, prompting the officer to jump off his motorcycle and move away. The car struck the fallen motorcycle, but no damage was reported to either vehicle.

The officer later estimated the car was moving at about three miles per hour, police said.

The Tesla driver told police that he had the car in autopilot mode at the time of the incident...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Tesla 'autopilot' car hits Phoenix police motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »
The Tesla driver told police that he had the car in autopilot mode at the time of the incident..

Likely story. He probably dropped his joint in his lap.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:47:47 pm »
Yep. If you believe the media this will be all that's on our roads in 10 years.

Nope.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 03:48:06 pm »

You call this a glitch??
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 04:06:46 pm »
The Tesla driver told police that he had the car in autopilot mode at the time of the incident..

Likely story. He probably dropped his joint in his lap.

Which brings up an interesting question.  Can I drop by the store and pick up a "roadie" like the old days?  A cold one on the way home from work surely doesn't qualify as drinking and driving if you've got autopilot switched on.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:10:12 pm »
He probably took it off autopilot and left it in drive hence the roll. Does pressing the breaks take one of these thingies out of autopilot the way it does for cruise control. If so, the driver may have stepped on the break reflexively and turned off the auto pilot. Just a thought. 
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 05:36:34 pm »
Self-driving cars?  Could be worse...

http://i.imgur.com/W1ZC4oc.mp4
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:14:32 pm »
"...Phoenix police on Monday confirmed that the incident occurred when a Tesla driver and an on-duty officer exited the Black Canyon Freeway onto Utopia Road"

Tesla...
Self-driving cars...
Utopia Road...

Sounds like a fitting spot for things to go awry.