Author Topic: Helicopter Parents and the End of Childhood Freedom [Warden]  (Read 301 times)

rangerrebew

Helicopter Parents and the End of Childhood Freedom [Warden]
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:48:20 pm »
Helicopter Parents and the End of Childhood Freedom [Warden]

I found this 2014 Atlantic article, The Overprotected Kid, and found myself nodding vigorously at the astonishing difference between my childhood and those that my kids are living.

Admittedly, I was parented by insanely libertarian minded parents who figured that any day I didn't come home maimed was pretty much a win. Even for the standards of the 70's, my brother and I were given so much latitude that our parents were the black sheep of the neighborhood.

There are things I did that I'd never allow my kids to do. My parents were extreme, bordering on neglectful at times. For example, my mom never bothered buying us snow boots even though she could afford to. Nope, sneakers were fine for running around in the snow. Gloves and a hat were optional as well, even on subzero days. I never owned a scarf until my wife bought me one ten years ago. I remain baffled that anyone who doesn't work in life threateningly cold weather would think one a necessity.

http://minx.cc:1080/?post=369028
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:48:57 pm by rangerrebew »