Author Topic: Rich New Yorkers ask state to raise their taxes  (Read 759 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Rich New Yorkers ask state to raise their taxes
« on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:08 am »
ALBANY, N.Y. — Some of the wealthiest New Yorkers are asking the state to raise their taxes.

Eighty people including George Soros, Steven Rockefeller and Abigail Disney wrote to lawmakers and Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo saying they and other top earners should pay more to support schools, roads, bridges and programs to help poor and homeless residents of the state.

“Now is the time to invest in the long-term economic viability of New York,” the letter reads. “We need to invest in pathways out of poverty and up the economic ladder for all of our fellow citizens, including strong public education from pre-K to college. And, we need to invest in the fragile bridges, tunnels, waterlines, public buildings, and roads that we all depend on.”

The letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, endorses a plan that would create new, higher income tax brackets for top earners to raise a projected $2 billion.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rich-new-yorkers-ask-state-to-raise-their-taxes/2017/03/21/0067fc18-0dec-11e7-aa57-2ca1b05c41b8_story.html

Thought anyone could write a check to the government, voluntarily paying extra tax.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: Rich New Yorkers ask state to raise their taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:43:30 am »
Well, they do have to pay for all those TV commercials telling us how super awesome NY State has become.  They've been running non-stop for years.

The commercials remind me of a used car salesman who spends the first 5 minutes of the sales pitch explaining how awesome he is.  Their faces get all twisted up when I say, "Yeah, I get it, you're awesome.  Now about the car . . ."

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 01:24:12 pm »
Thought anyone could write a check to the government, voluntarily paying extra tax.

Correct.  Anyone can make a gift of money to their government.

This is about wanting other people to pay more tax.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:31:32 pm »
ALBANY, N.Y. — Some of the wealthiest New Yorkers are asking the state to raise their taxes.

Eighty people including George Soros, Steven Rockefeller and Abigail Disney wrote to lawmakers and Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo saying they and other top earners should pay more to support schools, roads, bridges and programs to help poor and homeless residents of the state.

“Now is the time to invest in the long-term economic viability of New York,” the letter reads. “We need to invest in pathways out of poverty and up the economic ladder for all of our fellow citizens, including strong public education from pre-K to college. And, we need to invest in the fragile bridges, tunnels, waterlines, public buildings, and roads that we all depend on.”

The letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, endorses a plan that would create new, higher income tax brackets for top earners to raise a projected $2 billion.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rich-new-yorkers-ask-state-to-raise-their-taxes/2017/03/21/0067fc18-0dec-11e7-aa57-2ca1b05c41b8_story.html

I would introduce a bill specifically naming those who asked for higher taxation to be taxed at a higher rate and exempting everyone else who did not ask for this. I'd set the marginal rate at 75%.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »
@Joe Wooten

I like that. A lot.  :smokin:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 06:00:30 pm »
@Joe Wooten

I like that. A lot.  :smokin:

:laugh:

Yeah, give them what they asked for GOOD AND HARD!

geronl

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 06:10:10 pm »
They can voluntarily pay more.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 11:41:24 am »
Along with their money, these people should turn in their gonads for safe disposal.

Online DB

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 11:57:21 am »
I would introduce a bill specifically naming those who asked for higher taxation to be taxed at a higher rate and exempting everyone else who did not ask for this. I'd set the marginal rate at 75%.

Excellent idea.