Author Topic: White House Preparing to Blame Ryan If Health Bill Fails, Official Says  (Read 597 times)

Offline corbe

White House Preparing to Blame Ryan If Health Bill Fails, Official Says

by Jennifer Jacobs and Shannon Pettypiece
‎March‎ ‎24‎, ‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎03‎ ‎AM  Updated on ‎March‎ ‎24‎, ‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎26‎ ‎AM 

In public, President Donald Trump is standing by House Speaker Paul Ryan over the Obamacare replacement bill.

Behind the scenes, the president’s aides are planning to blame Ryan if there is an embarrassing defeat on a bill that has been a Republican goal for more than seven years, a senior administration official said.

The House is expected to vote this afternoon on the health bill, which is opposed by all Democrats and may not enjoy enough support among either conservative or moderate Republicans. The conservative House Freedom Caucus negotiated several changes to the bill to win over its members.

On Thursday, Trump’s senior strategist took the unusual step of traveling to Capitol Hill to deliver an ultimatum: take the vote on Friday, win or lose. Ryan had sought to carefully build a majority for the bill, and it would be highly unusual for him to call the vote without knowing if it would pass.

Little Choice

Ryan had little choice but go along with the administration’s gambit.

Trump said Friday at the White House that Ryan shouldn’t lose his job if the bill goes down. He also said "no" when asked if the bill had been rushed or if he regretted pursuing a replacement of the Affordable Care Act ahead of other priorities such as a tax overhaul.

But asked whether Trump, Ryan, or the Freedom Caucus chairman, North Carolina Republican Mark Meadows, would be most to blame if the bill fails, the administration official said Ryan. The official insisted on anonymity to discuss internal White House deliberations.

A spokeswoman for Ryan didn’t immediately respond to an request for comment.

<..snip..>

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-24/white-house-said-to-prepare-to-blame-ryan-if-health-bill-fails

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Paul Ryan is where winning goes to die!

ALL they had to do was what they have done MANY (I forget exactly how many) times previously (when they knew that there was no chance or it passing) and simply repeal Obamacare! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mom MD

It's very interesting   On a thread about a trump tweet on the freedom caucus a few of the trump supporters on TOS are starting to turn on their hero.  Some eyes are being opened   Got popcorn?

@mystery-ak lifelines may be needed....   will be interesting
God is still in control

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It's very interesting   On a thread about a trump tweet on the freedom caucus a few of the trump supporters on TOS are starting to turn on their hero.  Some eyes are being opened   Got popcorn?

@mystery-ak lifelines may be needed....   will be interesting

JR has come out strongly against TRyanCare. Once the lightbulb goes on that it is Trump's baby too, he may need a lifeline from his own site.

Offline Mom MD

JR has come out strongly against TRyanCare. Once the lightbulb goes on that it is Trump's baby too, he may need a lifeline from his own site.

Nope  He owns it   His blind worship of trump drove most of the voices of reason away   I won't be surprised to see many of them trying to claim the never supported trump in the next couple of weeks   The great negotiator has made a bigger mess of things than if they just left it alone   And that was a huge mess already
God is still in control

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Trump is an unmitigated joke.  He can not and will not EVER accept responsiblity for his FAILURES.

Problem is .....  Is this turd paving the way for an Elizabeth Warren disaster?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

He'll get no lifeline from me.

Offline r9etb

White House Preparing to Blame Ryan If Health Bill Fails, Official Says

Well, that's cutting off their nose to spite their face.  When all is said and done, Trump needs Ryan a lot more than Ryan needs Trump.

To make an enemy of him is worse than stupid. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Behind the scenes, the president’s aides are planning to blame Ryan if there is an embarrassing defeat on a bill that has been a Republican goal for more than seven years, a senior administration official said.
This was not a seven year goal to replace Obamacare for the GOP.  It was a 7 yr goal to kill Obamacare.  The replacement idea was as recent as Ryan's ascension to be Speaker.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:27:42 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

ALL they had to do was what they have done MANY (I forget exactly how many) times previously (when they knew that there was no chance or it passing) and simply repeal Obamacare!
Yep, it was 7 years we waited to kill Obamacare, not replace it.  Ryan is to blame for the debacle we are in now.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline r9etb

Re: White House Preparing to Blame Ryan If Health Bill Fails, Official Says
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 05:33:20 pm »
This was not a seven year goal to replace Obamacare for the GOP.  It was a 7 yr goal to kill Obamacare.  The replacement idea was as recent as Ryan's ascension to be Speaker.

As a matter of political reality it was always going to be "replacement."  The Democrats were always going to win on an the issue of "helping the uninsured," and that wouldn't change just because Republicans have the necessary majorities.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »
As a matter of political reality it was always going to be "replacement."  The Democrats were always going to win on an the issue of "helping the uninsured," and that wouldn't change just because Republicans have the necessary majorities.

Obviously.

Yet not so obvious to some, I guess.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 06:38:01 pm »

"Simply Repeal Obamacare"?    Where logic goes to die!    And Nancy Pelosi once again becomes Speaker of the House in 2018. There is nothing simple about it.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 06:39:36 pm »
"Simply Repeal Obamacare"?    Where logic goes to die!    And Nancy Pelosi once again becomes Speaker of the House in 2018. There is nothing simple about it.   

So you say!  I strongly disagree!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:28 pm »
Princess Trump doesn't do responsibility.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »

Yeah, I saw the way Bloomberg spun it.