Author Topic: RINOcare Is A Disaster: Should Paul Ryan Be Speaker?  (Read 250 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

RINOcare Is A Disaster: Should Paul Ryan Be Speaker?
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:40:02 pm »
It’s been a while since I’ve agreed with the Weekly Standard’s Bill Kristol, but he’s spot on here:

Indeed, Speaker Paul Ryan (Wisconsin) could do worse than cancel the floor vote today on the American Health Care Act (a.k.a. RINOcare).  In fact, expect the vote to be cancelled if the GOP leadership is far short of the 216 votes needed to pass RINOcare.  If the vote goes forward, then they either have the votes or are just a handful away and will try to twist some arms on the House floor.

How many votes the GOP leadership has is anyone’s guess.  Ryan claims they are close.  He seems to be the only one.  According to Alexandra Desanctis at National Review:

As of [Wednesday] afternoon, it seems [Rep. Mark] Meadows is correct that there remain enough opponents to tank the bill tomorrow; the GOP can only afford to lose 21 of its own members’ votes, along with all of the Democrats. According to a New York Times count, 22 GOP representatives are hard “no” votes, with another 17 who have serious reservations about the bill. And a recently updated Huffington Post piece suggests that there are at least 29 GOP representatives who are extremely likely to vote against the bill, while another 12 lean “no.”

RINOcare is a pathetic piece of legislation for reasons I’ve laid out elsewhere.  I won’t re-hash that here.  Rather, I want to raise the question of whether Ryan is cut out to be Speaker.

https://spectator.org/rinocare-is-a-disaster/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:40:40 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington