Author Topic: Boston Schools Change Maps to “De-colonize” History  (Read 667 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Boston Schools Change Maps to “De-colonize” History
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:53 pm »
http://www.dennisprager.com/boston-schools-change-maps-to-de-colonize-history/

Dennis Prager
The Dennis Prager Show
March 22, 2017

We’re all for accuracy. But that’s not why this change is being made. It’s being made for political purposes. Because Africa looks bigger on the new map that’s going to change the lives of black and other minority students? Really? No, it’s really about showing minority students how victimized they have been.
You really need to read the articles in the embedded bolded links to see how insane these people are.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:07:42 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Boston Schools Change Maps to “De-colonize” History
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19:18 am »
It clearly has nothing to do with areal accuracy.  Here are a few projections that are much closer:

My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:35:08 am »

You really need to read the articles in the embedded bolded links to see how insane these people are.

@Machiavelli

Someone with your tag name should understand how wrong that is. The people behind this are perfectly sane,as well as perfectly evil. They know EXACTLY what they are doing,which is setting the stage for anarchy so the majority of the population starts screaming for government to "Do something,DO ANYTHING,BUT STOP THE KILLING IN THE STREETS AND RESTORE ORDER!"

Which they will be more than happy to do by BOWING TO PUBLIC DEMAND and declaring a state of Martial Law "exists for the duration of the emergency",which means the Bill of Rights are suddenly null and void.

It also means they are the dictators for life because THEY will be the only ones in position to declare the emergency over,and why would they do that when it would mean they would lose absolute power?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:24 am »
I vaguely seem to remember a discussion about map projections in sixth grade. I'm not sure if it was a school lesson or something I just stumbled upon in a National Geographic, but there is an important absence from this discussion.

The Mercator projection was not some conspiracy to put North America and Europe at the center of the universe at the expense of oppressed peoples in South America and Africa. In fact, although Africa was fairly well-known, South America was still in the beginning stages of being colonized, while North America had barely been touched—and no one had even heard of Alaska. No, in fact, the Mercator was used for direction: any straight line on the map in any direction was true to traveling in a straight line on Earth. Follow a northwest-to-southeast line on a Mercator map, and you're going southeast. No other flat map projection has this unique feature. Of course, because the Earth is round, and the points of longitude get closer together at the polls, Mercator's projection makes them look bigger and places near the equator look smaller. Antarctica looks bigger than any other continent. Those pesky penguins must have hatched it up!

Second, back in the 90s and early 2000s, I expressly remember the maps in our classrooms. There were a couple of Mercators, but most of them were some other projection. Mollweide was an equal-area projection (that's the oval one). Robinson was a compromise.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:41:16 am »

When I was in school we learned information, not grievances, resentments which serve  as excuses.

I studied climate, geography, cultural anthropology, and I still wonder why entire continents remain backward, after decades of charity, education, etc.

I noticed Britain was not held back, by a small footprint on the ma/globe/projection.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 01:51:59 am »
@Machiavelli

Someone with your tag name should understand how wrong that is. The people behind this are perfectly sane,as well as perfectly evil. They know EXACTLY what they are doing,which is setting the stage for anarchy so the majority of the population starts screaming for government to "Do something,DO ANYTHING,BUT STOP THE KILLING IN THE STREETS AND RESTORE ORDER!"

Which they will be more than happy to do by BOWING TO PUBLIC DEMAND and declaring a state of Martial Law "exists for the duration of the emergency",which means the Bill of Rights are suddenly null and void.

It also means they are the dictators for life because THEY will be the only ones in position to declare the emergency over,and why would they do that when it would mean they would lose absolute power?

I believe you are right. Cloward-Piven strategies to overwhelm the system so people cry out for extraordinary measures, especially those who live in the urban areas which will not only see the worst activity, but are the least defensible and allow the least to defend one's self and family with.
If the law-abiding, under those circumstances, are to survive, they will have to have 'help' above and beyond ordinary civil means, hence Martial Law.
Unfortunately, that will not just affect the cities, but those of us who live elsewhere, have the means to handle insurrection, and will aid civil authorities in maintaining order.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:09 am »
The new map is more distorted and unreliable than what it is replacing

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41:07 am »
Just another example of the left overriding reality/science with politics - yet they are the party of science they demand...