Author Topic: Immigration provision cut from Obamacare rollback, angering conservatives  (Read 1153 times)

Offline corbe

Immigration provision cut from Obamacare rollback, angering conservatives

By Julia Edwards Ainsley and Yasmeen Abutaleb | WASHINGTON
 Tue Mar 21, 2017 | 5:05pm EDT

Some conservatives in Washington were fuming on Tuesday after an Obamacare rollback bill was tweaked by Republican leaders to delete a provision meant to crack down on illegal immigrants getting federal healthcare insurance coverage.

The development posed another problem for Republican leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives and President Donald Trump, who are trying to win congressional approval of the wider bill, the first big legislative test for Trump since taking office.

The provision would have allowed the Treasury Department to access data at the Department of Homeland Security to verify that healthcare tax credits went only to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents, not to illegal immigrants.

In a largely procedural move, it was dropped from the bill after the Senate Parliamentarian determined that the Senate Finance Committee, which handles tax credits under the bill, does not have purview over the Department of Homeland Security.

Republican Representative Lou Barletta issued a statement on Monday evening, after the change was made, saying he could no longer support the bill, citing the obscure provision.

"I am concerned that the bill lacks sufficient safeguards for verifying whether or not an individual applying for health care tax credits is lawfully in this country and eligible to receive them," said the Pennsylvania lawmaker.

The provision had been a key issue for conservative groups the Trump administration is trying to win over in its efforts to pass the bill known as the American Health Care Act, Trump's plan to repeal and partly replace Obamacare.

<..snip..>

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-obamacare-immigration-idUSKBN16S2RX

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

Big-effing-mistake.

This cute little parliamentary maneuver is basically a double repudiation of the clear will of the people implied by the past several elections.

It stinks of everything about this congress and political system that a majority of the voters despise. I can't think of a faster way to really p*ss alot of people off.

If Trump doesn't come out loud and clear against it then he will look like a complete phony.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:22:22 pm by skeeter »

Offline Frank Cannon

Why can't we get the names of these elected officials that are pulling this shit? All we get is some statement from a Obama political hack.....

Lauren Aronson, spokeswoman for the tax-writing House Committee on Ways and Means, said the bill keeps the underlying policies of Obamacare that specify only U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents are eligible for the tax credits. The bill was expected to go before the full House for a vote on Thursday.

Who is Lauren? Well she was working for Obama when he was President....

http://mehlmancastagnetti.com/bipartisan-team/lauren-aronson/

http://www.politico.com/politicopros/laurenaronson.html

Just why is an Obamacare designer working with the GOP on crafting a new bill?

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Big-effing-mistake.

This cute little parliamentary maneuver is basically a double repudiation of the clear will of the people implied by the past several elections.

It stinks of everything about this congress and political system that a majority of the voters despise. I can't think of a faster way to really p*ss alot of people off.

If Trump doesn't come out loud and clear against it then he will look like a complete phony.

Nah, this is just more of Trump's 12 dimensional  chess.  :silly:
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Why can't we get the names of these elected officials that are pulling this shit? All we get is some statement from a Obama political hack.....

Lauren Aronson, spokeswoman for the tax-writing House Committee on Ways and Means, said the bill keeps the underlying policies of Obamacare that specify only U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents are eligible for the tax credits. The bill was expected to go before the full House for a vote on Thursday.

Who is Lauren? Well she was working for Obama when he was President....

http://mehlmancastagnetti.com/bipartisan-team/lauren-aronson/

http://www.politico.com/politicopros/laurenaronson.html

Just why is an Obamacare designer working with the GOP on crafting a new bill?

Which reminds me. I need carrots, apples, and sugar cubes...

Offline Frank Cannon

Which reminds me. I need carrots, apples, and sugar cubes...

Whatever you do, don't let that broad see them. You'll lose a hand.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
What is that smell?  It reeks of Liberalism.

Trump is threatening Republicans.

Is this Ivanka's West Wing work?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
What is that smell?  It reeks of Liberalism.

Trump is threatening Republicans.

Is this Ivanka's West Wing work?

It reeks of McConnell, McCain and Ryan and Trump is going right along with them!  HUGE mistake.  The economic burden that illegal immigrants have on our healthcare system is staggering and this will continue to drive up costs.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
It reeks of McConnell, McCain and Ryan and Trump is going right along with them!  HUGE mistake.  The economic burden that illegal immigrants have on our healthcare system is staggering and this will continue to drive up costs.

Well that's a twist but I just saw a video of someone saying Ryan and Trump are on the same page.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline DB

Big-effing-mistake.

This is off the wall but...

Perhaps this is the poison pill Trump needs to abandon the bill and start over without losing face. Thin but possible...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Ryan is Boehner-lite.  Watch enough Dems vote for bill so as to get it passed.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Nobody wants to alienate tens of millions of future voters.

The GOP sees a chance to ride Trump's coattails and woo the Hispanics to nest with them.

The Democrats think they've got a God-given right to their vote and loyalty.  And who could blame them?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Whatever you do, don't let that broad see them. You'll lose a hand.
:bigsilly:

Offline skeeter

This is off the wall but...

Perhaps this is the poison pill Trump needs to abandon the bill and start over without losing face. Thin but possible...

I hope you're right. Because if he goes along with this any hopes for real reform in other areas are pretty much kaput as well.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Well that's a twist but I just saw a video of someone saying Ryan and Trump are on the same page.

I stated awhile ago that I was willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt and give him a clean slate and I have tried to ignore all the negativity and crap that is being spewed about him. There are 3 key issues that he and the GOP need to deliver on; illegal immigration/wall, Bammycare and a conservative justice.  He/they fail to deliver on either issue and they can kiss their seats good-bye.

Trump has tried to move forward with the migration/refugee ban and has been blocked twice by the lower courts. I am waiting for Congress to actually approve the money and grant contracts on the wall.  From my understanding bids for the wall  are being considered, but Congress will still have to approve funding and it'll be interesting to see if Ryan comes through.  Gorsuch hearings are taking place, but I'm not so sure about him.  He won unanimous approval by the DEMS back under Bush and that concerns me.  It appears that Bammycare Lite so far is a disaster.

Trump still doesn't have a full cabinet; Flynn has resigned and Sessions has recused himself. Ya I get all the fake news, the leftists attacks and their intent to crush Trump, but he and Ryan will own their decision to cut the immigration provision from Bammycare Lite.  That's something that they cannot blame on the left.

I'm wondering what happened with the discussion @ Mar A Lago with Cruz and Lee on this?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:43:09 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline corbe

Ryan is Boehner-lite.  Watch enough Dems vote for bill so as to get it passed.

@IsailedawayfromFR

If he does this we can all officially declare the Hastert Rule dead because Ryan, just as his predecessor before him, affirmed to abide by this ancient GOP relic.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

I hope you're right. Because if he goes along with this any hopes for real reform in other areas are pretty much kaput as well.

Just for the record, I don't think I'm right from what I'm reading. Just threw out a thin possibility.