Author Topic: 10 Reasons Why You Should Own a Revolver  (Read 14699 times)

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Own a Revolver
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 11:50:02 am »
IF, you're married and the wife isn't a gunner, Revolvers don't have a Safety catch.

If she needs it, so long as you've loaded it, . . .

No matter how intense the adrenaline rush its point and squeeze the trigger.

KISS.

My son sent me money for my birthday for a personal weapon.  He suggested a semi-automatic.  My right hand is partially numb and I am not exactly young any longer.  I bought a M&P Smith and Wesson  Bodyguard with a laser sight.  I think my son was disappointed until he saw how easily and accurately I could shoot it, how easy it is to clean, etc.  I think they are perfect personal defense weapons for women who are not really into guns or have strength issues.  I have absolute confidence I can put many holes in the right places if I need to defend myself.  I am planning on getting my concealed carry.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2017, 12:28:20 pm »
FN-FAL and a 22 revolver with a 6 to 8 inch barrel,quick attach pistol scope,target sights,target trigger,and target grips.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 02:18:43 pm »
Okay, I'm going to be the oddball here and say two long guns: a .410 shotgun (I have dropped everything from squirrels to whitetail with one, that's mainly a question of ammo, and I could carry two boxes to every one for a 12 Ga.) and a scoped .30-06. If I have to trade the -06 in for a pistol, I'd take the super Blackhawk--if the round doesn't get them the muzzle flash will.  :laugh:

Now see, I thought of a .410... If I am not mistaken, That will take a .45 round too... Versatile. But, I chose the 12ga for the pump... And for the griz. :)

I guess I never defined the terrain... I guess you could get dropped in the wilds of Iowa.... But griz and moose are on my mind.  :shrug:

And tween your blackhawk and my shotgun with slugs... Well, I know which one I would want along in a griz encounter. Well BOTH. But if I had it to choose...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 02:31:29 pm »
Now see, I thought of a .410... If I am not mistaken, That will take a .45 round too... Versatile. But, I chose the 12ga for the pump... And for the griz. :)

I guess I never defined the terrain... I guess you could get dropped in the wilds of Iowa.... But griz and moose are on my mind.  :shrug:

@roamer_1

You are thinking "45 Long Colt",not "45 ACP". I know at least one handgun is sold that advertises both rounds,but I'm thinking it probably isn't the most accurate 45 LC handgun you will ever shoot.

I once had  Thompson Contender with the barrel that would shoot I THINK 44 magnum and 410 shot shells. It would drive nails with the .223 barrel,but that dual barrel was the biggest piece of Clinton I ever owned. I may have even thrown it away. I HATE inaccurate guns.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 02:38:32 pm »

And tween your blackhawk and my shotgun with slugs... Well, I know which one I would want along in a griz encounter. Well BOTH. But if I had it to choose...

There are two revolvers that will do that.  The Taurus Judge will take .45 LC and .410 rounds.

The S&W Governor fires both of those plus .45ACP and is a six shot not a five shot.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 02:40:09 pm »
@roamer_1

You are thinking "45 Long Colt",not "45 ACP". I know at least one handgun is sold that advertises both rounds,but I'm thinking it probably isn't the most accurate 45 LC handgun you will ever shoot.

I once had  Thompson Contender with the barrel that would shoot I THINK 44 magnum and 410 shot shells. It would drive nails with the .223 barrel,but that dual barrel was the biggest piece of Clinton I ever owned. I may have even thrown it away. I HATE inaccurate guns.

I had an old 12ga H&K single shot and had a drop-in 22LR conversion barrel made... with the intention of using that for a bush gun. It was a good idea - I just couldn't get around the reload time. Same problem as the black powder 50... almost as bad.

But that old girl was pretty good for accurate. Had sights put on it... Not as good as an actual 22, but doable. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 06:21:08 pm »
That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Glad you enjoyed, @Idaho_Cowboy.   ^-^  You might also like this...

(Yes, it's a real book...  https://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Your-About-Safety/dp/045149492X )

@Freya  @Hopalong Ginsberg
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »

(Yes, it's a real book...  https://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Your-About-Safety/dp/045149492X )

I like the you might also like that popped up when I went to look at it:
https://www.amazon.com/My-Cold-Dead-Paws-Cats/dp/1569757321
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2017, 06:33:48 pm »
I like the you might also like that popped up when I went to look at it:
https://www.amazon.com/My-Cold-Dead-Paws-Cats/dp/1569757321

@Suppressed @Idaho_Cowboy @Hopalong Ginsberg

I'm going to check them out once I'm home. I don't think kitties and guns are a good idea. They do have claws which make them very good hunters. I think a gun would be superfluous for a kitteh.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2017, 06:37:28 pm »
@Suppressed @Idaho_Cowboy @Hopalong Ginsberg

I'm going to check them out once I'm home. I don't think kitties and guns are a good idea. They do have claws which make them very good hunters. I think a gun would be superfluous for a kitteh.

Now we can have what kitties have, @Freyahttps://www.tigerlady.com/collections/feature/products/4-pack-tigerlady-self-defense-claw

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2017, 06:54:39 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hopalong Ginsberg

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2017, 08:08:08 pm »

I have talked to my cats about gun safety. Safety first, safety last, safety always.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »
@roamer_1

I have a 45LC/.410 barrel for my Contender. Its one of my favorite barrels. All I shoot thru it is .410s. I have shot many a moccasin with it. With it's screw on choke, it patterns pretty good. A 45LC bullet just has to bounce along too far before it gets to any rifling to have any sort of accuracy. I was thinking of loading some up with 9.3x74R cases to get bullets up to the rifling, to see if it would shoot bullets with any sort of accuracy.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2017, 11:41:44 pm »
Shotgun for birds
Low caliber rifle for varmints
Scoped high powered rifle for distance (elk, sheep, goats, antelope)
High caliber carbine for brush (Deer, bear, moose)
High caliber sidearm for protection
Low caliber sidearm for trap dispatch
Sawed-off shotgun for home protection and short range varmint control
at least two medium caliber hidey-guns for protection
and at least two medium to high caliber pistols hidden in the home in case of surprise.

Those are needed.
The rest are actually superfluous with regard to day-to-day, or are variations of the above particular to specialty.

Here's a question for all y'all:

Let's say you were limited to TWO. Lets say you're dropped off in the middle of nowhere, a week away from anything, and could only pick TWO guns to get you home... WHICH?

I think I'd have to say 12ga pump shotgun with a variety of shells, and a long barreled 22 pistol.
I'd cheat, I would take an over/under shotgun rifle combo in 12ga./.22 and a long barrelled scoped pistol in .357

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2017, 12:53:40 am »

Yes, but that's the reason for the .30-06. It's enough for anything short of Polar Bear, and would likely handle that, too (that's the reason for the scope, though, to deal with bigger threats at greater range, or be able to just spot them and avoid them altogether).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2017, 01:00:23 am »
@roamer_1

The pistol I had that fired .410 or .45 LC was a cheap boot gun. It might have worked in a pinch, and in an adrenaline rush you might not have noticed the trigger pull was like dragging a semi with one finger. Okay for a last-ditch boot gun, but if you're going to carry a boot gun, there is better. Not a go-to firearm for the boonies. I have dropped whitetail at 75 yards with a .410 rifled slug (my first deer, actually). The reason the .410 was later banned for deer hunting in the shotgun only counties in MD was that it was too much like a rifle, in terms of ballistics (At least that what the DNR said). So I went to the Rem 870 in 20 ga, and later to an Ithaca Featherweight in 12 Ga (which was a great duck blind gun because it ejected the spent hulls downward instead of to the side). I'd like to have one of those Ithacas again....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2017, 08:52:18 am »
... Ithaca Featherweight in 12 Ga...

@Smokin Joe

I can't think of a single reason for buying any other pump shotgun. If you have a Ithaca Model 37 you already have the best pump shotgun ever built,and THE perfect design.  Don't believe me? Consider this,Remington made them for almost 20 years before they sold Ithaca the right to make them,and by the early 70's Ithaca had sold over 5 MILLION of them. I have no idea how many have been sold since the early 70's,but I suspect the total number is somewhere north of "several".

Now,ask yourself,out of well over 7 or 8 million of these things being sold,when was the last time you saw a used one for sale that didn't come from an estate? I have one with a folding buttstock that is my "truck shotgun" I keep loaded with #4 buckshot magnum loads in case I have to repel boarders,another with the 20 inch Deerslayer rifled slug barrel,and another one with the 28 inch modified choke barrel. Yeah,I'm a fan.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:53:22 am by sneakypete »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 03:53:34 pm »
Okay, I'm going to be the oddball here and say two long guns: a .410 shotgun (I have dropped everything from squirrels to whitetail with one, that's mainly a question of ammo, and I could carry two boxes to every one for a 12 Ga.) and a scoped .30-06. If I have to trade the -06 in for a pistol, I'd take the super Blackhawk--if the round doesn't get them the muzzle flash will.  :laugh:

Since we don't know where the "middle of nowhere" is. The 2 long guns you chose would be inadequate in close cover. Leave the -06 for the hand cannon. Or swap the .410 for a more powerful shotgun.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2017, 04:13:55 pm »
888high58888 on the armory. No pink here, though I think that it is neat you have one (just some greens and light browns).
@Smokin Joe

A PINK rifle, to a man, would think it isn't "really" a rifle.  That would be his mistake, as PINK shoots just like a green or brown one and it has a multi cartridge magazine and I have boxes of hollow points for it.  It is, however, the weakest weapon I have in firepower.  My Bob's son, saw my armory, and now he and his wife and teen age daughter are armed and went through gun training. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2017, 04:15:10 pm »

I can't think of a single reason for buying any other pump shotgun. If you have a Ithaca Model 37 you already have the best pump shotgun ever built,and THE perfect design.  Don't believe me? Consider this,Remington made them for almost 20 years before they sold Ithaca the right to make them,and by the early 70's Ithaca had sold over 5 MILLION of them. I have no idea how many have been sold since the early 70's,but I suspect the total number is somewhere north of "several".

Now,ask yourself,out of well over 7 or 8 million of these things being sold,when was the last time you saw a used one for sale that didn't come from an estate? I have one with a folding buttstock that is my "truck shotgun" I keep loaded with #4 buckshot magnum loads in case I have to repel boarders,another with the 20 inch Deerslayer rifled slug barrel,and another one with the 28 inch modified choke barrel. Yeah,I'm a fan.

I would love to have an Ithaca. I've been happy with my Winchester 1200 all these years. The first gun I ever bought. It's been my "truck gun" for a long long time. When I first started working at Johnson Space Center, I read the driver's pamphlet over and over and it said nothing about firearms. So it stayed in my truck for most of my career. Then one day driving in, there was a huge sign at the front gate. "No Guns" it said. I figured that an idiot deer hunter left his rifle in his "Easy Rider Rifle Rack" for all to see, and messed it up for everyone.

@sneakypete
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:17:20 pm by Elderberry »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2017, 04:25:41 pm »
I would love to have an Ithaca.

@sneakypete

@Elderberry

They can be found for sale used,but it ain't easy. Mostly they come from estates,and are being sold by gun shops that know their value.

Last time I checked several years ago,they were back in business,and manufacturing them  again. IIRC,they were a little "pricey" for my tastes,but it ain't like it's ever going to break or you will ever have to buy another one.

Try to get one with the 18 or 20 inch rifled slug barrel (Deerslayer) and then look around for a longer barrel with the choke of your choice for bird or rabbit hunting. Barrels have always been pretty reasonable.

The Deerslayer is pretty handy as is,but when you add a folding stock with a pistol grip,it's something pretty special. You ever have rifle sights if you want to have a couple of slugs mixed in with your buckshot loads.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2017, 04:30:36 pm »
My oldest daughter has a pink 10/22.   I'm off today so I'm going to go revolver shopping. I really want the RIA M206 .38 but I may end up with the Taurus .38. Seems all the dealers around here for in a shipment and they are selling them dirt cheap.
@txradioguy

I have three 38 revolvers.  Two are Colts and one is Ruger (it is +P).  Have boxes of 38 hollow points for them.  Have one really small 22 revolver, fits in your hand easily, with 22 Mini Magnum cartridges for it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »
@txradioguy

@Victoria33

I have three 38 revolvers.  Two are Colts and one is Ruger (it is +P).  Have boxes of 38 hollow points for them.

HISTORICALLY,hollowpoints don't expand worth a damn in human flesh at 38 Special velocities. Not that familiar with +P loads because if I want to shoot magnum loads I just go ahead and shoot 357's.

For a self-defense handgun for use against people,who are a LOT easier to kill than most other animals,I suggest you go in the direction of "traditional" 38 Special velocities,and use SWAGED lead hollowbase wadcutters loaded backwards. I have had them reliably expand to 72 caliber in pine,so you know all the energy in the bullet will be expended inside your target,and none will be expended to go though a wall and injure a family member. These are plenty accurate for typical living room distances,but nobody is ever going to accuse it of being a target load. Those big hollow cups at the base that are facing outwards are not perfect cups and are easily influenced by the air they pass though.

PERFECT loads for inside the home or close self-defense,though. Swaged bullets are VERY soft and you can scratch them with a fingernail,so be VERY careful to not use them with loads over 1,000 fps because the lead will start to melt in your bore. I recommend loads in the 600-800 fps range. VERY mild recoil,no over-penetration,and expansion equal to or better than a magnum hollowpoint.

If you don't reload,find somebody that does and get them to load up a couple of hundred rounds for you,and as always with a new load,go to the range and run a box of ammo though your revolver so you know where it shoots with these loads at typical self-defense distances. Forget sights. Center your gun in your chest by creating a tripod with your hand in the center and both of them locked and supporting the gun,lock your elbows,raise the gun up so it is in line with or close enough to your eyes you are aware of it,focus your eyes on where or what you want to shoot,and let fly.

Have one really small 22 revolver, fits in your hand easily, with 22 Mini Magnum cartridges for it.

NEVER underestimate the killing power of a 22 hollowpoint at close range. Especially since they are virtually recoil-free,and don't make enough noise to scare a novice shooter. Most people that never shoot will hit what they are aiming at with a 22,and miss with anything bigger because the recoil and noise scares them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2017, 04:54:02 pm »
I figured that an idiot deer hunter left his rifle in his "Easy Rider Rifle Rack" for all to see, and messed it up for everyone.

Now see, I remember a time when every pickup around here had a couple guns in the rack all the time (not just hunting season). My old Winchester model 94 lived in the rack most of it's life. The left side of her was darker than the right from always catching sun from one side.

I liked it better then. Having to hide my guns was the first loss of freedom - real freedom - I can remember.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:04 pm »
@Smokin Joe
@txradioguy

I have a Remington 223 rifle and Remington 12 gauge shotgun.  They are too heavy for me but in an emergency situation, I figure adrenaline would take over and I would have the strength to deal with the shotgun.  Have slugs and scatter cartridges for the shotgun.