Author Topic: The Risks of Pre-emptive Strikes Against North Korea  (Read 502 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Risks of Pre-emptive Strikes Against North Korea
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:06:28 am »
I know it's the NYT, but it's a fair assessment.

A declaration by Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson that the United States would consider pre-emptive military action against North Korea raises a question that has dogged American military planners for 20 years: How could this be made to work?

The United States has long threatened force. The sincerity of such threats has always been ambiguous, as they are often meant less to prepare for war than to act as a deterrent to North Korea and a reassurance of the commitment by the United States to South Korea.

But there is a reason that, even as North Korea’s weapons programs have passed red line after red line, the United States has never followed through.

Almost any plan would bring a high risk of unintended escalation to all-out war, analysts believe. It would place millions of South Korean and Japanese civilians in the cross hairs of North Korean weapons with few guaranteed benefits.

That officials would even raise a pre-emptive attack shows the growing severity of the crisis, but the problems associated with any such plan demonstrate why that crisis has remained unsolved for two decades.

Three Unappealing Choices

A pre-emptive attack can generally mean one of three things. Mr. Tillerson, in keeping with past American statements, did not clarify which of those options were on the table but ruled none of them out.

Here is a brief guide to each:

1. A Single Strike to Halt a Missile Launch

How it would work: Mike Mullen, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in September at the Council on Foreign Relations that such an attack would be more “self-defense” than pre-emption.

If North Korea appears poised to launch a nuclear-armed missile, he said, American strikes could “take out launch capabilities on the launchpad or take them out once they’re launched.”

The challenge: It may not be so easy as hitting launchpads out in the open. In wartime, North Korea would probably use mobile launchers, hidden around the country in locations such as tunnels. Striking every launcher before it could be used would be difficult.

The risk: This would almost certainly be too late to prevent all nuclear missiles from getting off the ground and, given that missile defense is no guarantee, through to their targets.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/world/asia/us-north-korea-weapons.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: The Risks of Pre-emptive Strikes Against North Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:36:18 am »
No, North Korea is like acne on a teenager, if it's picked at it just spreads. 

A pre-emptive strike makes no sense;  it's a death sentence for millions.   I think what's needed is the James Bond thing.  Dear Leader started it, with a nerve gas attack on his own brother.   Go silent, go deep, start cultivating allies and knocking off the death cultists.     

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:42:26 am »
I don't know. I just don't see any way a first strike doesn't lead to all out war against a deeply indoctrinated people.  You would have to take out the entire leadership structure and then you're stuck with chaos and no doubt manipulation and interference from China.

Personally I think our best bet would be for China to hit them but they're no more our friends than Russia and I think they're happy with their role of holding NK's leash. If China took out their leadership, China would want control which also ratchets up tensions with SK and Japan.

For now I think we're stuck with shooting down NK launched missiles.

This should have been fought to a real conclusion in the 1950s.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:43:04 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:06:50 pm »

For now I think we're stuck with shooting down NK launched missiles.

This should have been fought to a real conclusion in the 1950s.

Good luck with that SM 3 and 4 are iffy at best.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 12:23:56 pm »
We can always give Japan and South Korea their own nukes and let them deal with North Korea.
/s