Author Topic: The 19 federal agencies Trump wants to eliminate  (Read 1852 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 19 federal agencies Trump wants to eliminate
« on: March 17, 2017, 02:11:41 pm »
By Sylvan Lane - 03/16/17 07:12 PM EDT

Share to Facebook
2.7KShare to Twitter
Share to Google+

© Greg Nash

President Trump’s budget blueprint proposes eliminating 19 federal agencies.

Here’s a run-down of the agencies and what they do, from supporting arts and public television to building infrastructure and studying international relations.

The African Development Foundation, which funds African agriculture, infrastructure and community development projects with grants.

The Appalachian Regional Commission, which funds projects meant to bolster businesses, education, culture, and economic development in Appalachia.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/324408-the-19-federal-agencies-trump-wants-to-eliminate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: The 19 federal agencies Trump wants to eliminate
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:15:32 pm »
Exim bank needs to be added to that list at #20

Amtrack at #21
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:15:58 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:53:15 pm »
The 19:

1. The African Development Foundation, which funds African agriculture, infrastructure and community development projects with grants.

2. The Appalachian Regional Commission, which funds projects meant to bolster businesses, education, culture and economic development in Appalachia.

3. The Chemical Safety Board, which investigates accidents in the chemical industry and makes safety recommendations.

4. The Corporation for National and Community Service, which houses several public service organizations, including AmeriCorps.

5. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds public television and radio stations including PBS and NPR.

6. The Delta Regional Authority, which funds businesses and infrastructure in the Mississippi River Delta region.

7. The Denali Commission, which supports utilities and infrastructure in Alaska.

8. The Institute of Museum and Library Services, which funds U.S. museums and libraries with grants.

9. The Inter-American Foundation, which provides financial aid to Latin America and the Caribbean.

10. The U.S. Trade and Development Agency, which provides U.S. goods and services for foreign development projects.

11. The Legal Services Corporation, which provides civil legal aid for low-income Americans.

12. The National Endowment for the Arts, which funds American artists and projects through grants.

13. The National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds American scholarship through grants.

14. The Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation, which funds community development project throughout the U.S.

15. The Northern Border Regional Commission, which supports economic development in poor areas near the Canadian border.

16. The Overseas Private Investment Corporation, which helps provide private U.S. capital to foreign development projects.

17. The United States Institute of Peace, which aims to promote world peace through conflict resolution, training programs and scholarship.

18. The United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, which coordinates efforts to fight homelessness among nearly 20 federal agencies.

19. The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, a prominent think tank studying international affairs and foreign policy.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:26:11 pm »
Budget, meet ax.

National Endowment For The Arts.

Anyone whose ever tried to make an honest dollar in any artistic field ought to be dancing in the street on this one.

'Da Arts has always been hard tack and scrabble, and having endless doors slammed in your face.

The last thing artists need is Gubbmint picking winners and losers.

And my Viking Trilogy is free again this weekend at Amazon.
http://wulfanson.blogspot.com/2017/03/get-our-viking-trilogy-free-at-amazon.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:28:45 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:46:57 pm »
Society void of human compassion.  I can think of a lot of other ways to cut.  Like cutting money we give to terrorist governments.  That alone brings in billions yearly.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 07:10:16 pm »
I have no problem with any of these cuts. Yes, we also should cut funding to terrorist groups, but most of these should be funded locally,  if at all.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 07:28:19 pm »
I have no problem with any of these cuts. Yes, we also should cut funding to terrorist groups, but most of these should be funded locally,  if at all.

This is what I was talking about

VIDEO: Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Introduces Legislation to Stop Arming Terrorists

December 8, 2016   
|  Press Release   

Washington, DC—Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) introduced the Stop Arming Terrorists Act today. The legislation would prohibit the U.S. government from using American taxpayer dollars to provide funding, weapons, training, and intelligence support to groups like the Levant Front, Fursan al Ha and other allies of Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, al-Qaeda and ISIS, or to countries who are providing direct or indirect support to those same groups.

The legislation is cosponsored by Reps. Peter Welch (D-VT-AL), Barbara Lee (D-CA-13), Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA-48), and Thomas Massie (R-KY-04), and supported by the Progressive Democrats of America (PDA) and the U.S. Peace Council.

https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/video-rep-tulsi-gabbard-introduces-legislation-stop-arming-terrorists

As far as programs to feed hungry and give medical aid to poor countries I support that fully.  However when you give the money to the governments there has to be strict oversight of the funds.

I would defund the UN.  With all of the scandals it is a waste of money.   
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 08:27:08 pm »
Just Google "received grant" and the return will be filled with things that should be eliminated

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 06:29:35 am »
Washington, DC—Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) introduced the Stop Arming Terrorists Act today.

Although a Democrat, Tulsi Gabbard has her head screwed on right.  I hope her bill gets the support it deserves because billions of taxpayer dollars go towards funding terrorism around the world.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:30:08 am by Hondo69 »

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:43 am »
Society void of human compassion.  I can think of a lot of other ways to cut.  Like cutting money we give to terrorist governments.  That alone brings in billions yearly.

I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that these government cuts make our society void of human compassion.  Just because an agency has a touchy-freely name, it doesn't mean that they aren't a waste of money.   That council on homeless one is just an agency that oversees 20 other agencies that do things for the homeless, in other words, it's just administrators in an agency getting hefty salaries to do nothing while the other agencies actually do something.

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 08:33:59 am »

All I'll say is don't expect compassion from government. Particularly the federal government. Government isn't the conduit of compassion nor should it be.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 01:44:37 pm »
All I'll say is don't expect compassion from government. Particularly the federal government. Government isn't the conduit of compassion nor should it be.

:beer:

Well said.  As Human Being # 440-85-7765 once stated, "the IRS sucks".

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

Which of the 19 agencies listed would you keep @Chosen Daughter -- in the name of "human compassion"?

Offline verga

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
Budget, meet ax.

National Endowment For The Arts.

Anyone whose ever tried to make an honest dollar in any artistic field ought to be dancing in the street on this one.

'Da Arts has always been hard tack and scrabble, and having endless doors slammed in your face.

The last thing artists need is Gubbmint picking winners and losers.

And my Viking Trilogy is free again this weekend at Amazon.
http://wulfanson.blogspot.com/2017/03/get-our-viking-trilogy-free-at-amazon.html
@To-Whose-Benefit? Now that they are not on the public dole, does this mean no more "P!$$ Christ" upside down crucifixes in beakers of urine and Dung Virgin Marys? I wonder where they will find the patrons to finance this garbage.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 05:22:56 pm »
Folks don't get too excited yet. None of these wasteful agencies are off the public dole yet. 

There's no telling how different these cuts or reductions will look once they get through Congress. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:24:21 pm »
@Chosen Daughter Since DaVinci and Dante the wealthy have been the patrons of the arts. If you can't find someone to subside your art maybe you need to find a better way to express yourself. I don't want my tax dollars supporting things I consider Sacraligious or profane. They can find someone to support them more power to them.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 07:56:01 pm »
Little known fact: this would not have been possible without the National Endowment for the Arts.

:whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:49 am »
Which of the 19 agencies listed would you keep @Chosen Daughter -- in the name of "human compassion"?

1. The African Development Foundation, which funds African agriculture, infrastructure and community development projects with grants.

Sounds like one I would keep being that hearts and minds are being shaped either toward terrorism or not.  Senator Rubio spoke about that on the Senate Floor

2. The Appalachian Regional Commission, which funds projects meant to bolster businesses, education, culture and economic development in Appalachia.

America first?  Maybe.  What have they done or accomplished I don't know but it doesn't sound bad given the poverty in Appalachia.

3. The Chemical Safety Board, which investigates accidents in the chemical industry and makes safety recommendations.

Hey I am not an environmentalist Nazi but if we have chemical spills they need to be investigated.  Otherwise the public and water supplies may be at risk.  And perhaps even fish (shock) and wildlife.

4. The Corporation for National and Community Service, which houses several public service organizations, including AmeriCorps.

Couldn't tell you on this one.

5. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds public television and radio stations including PBS and NPR.

Maybe we could do without a very slanted public broadcasting.  Every once in awhile they have something interesting.  They are always asking for money so I didn't even know they were funded by the government.

6. The Delta Regional Authority, which funds businesses and infrastructure in the Mississippi River Delta region.

??  Don't know not sure why it needs special funding.

7. The Denali Commission, which supports utilities and infrastructure in Alaska.

Again not sure why this state gets special funding.  Maybe they are funding for Native Americans?

8. The Institute of Museum and Library Services, which funds U.S. museums and libraries with grants.

You want to do away with funds for museums and libraries? 

9. The Inter-American Foundation, which provides financial aid to Latin America and the Caribbean.

With appropriate oversight to assure the funds are not getting into the hands of drug cartels and rebels.

10. The U.S. Trade and Development Agency, which provides U.S. goods and services for foreign development projects.

Goats and small business loans to get women to work in Afghanistan?

11. The Legal Services Corporation, which provides civil legal aid for low-income Americans.
Probably could do without this welfare.

12. The National Endowment for the Arts, which funds American artists and projects through grants.
Well I cannot speak specifically about any Grants.  I believe that some may be legitimate and others may be a waste of money.  Couldn't tell you. 
13. The National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds American scholarship through grants.
Same as above.

14. The Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation, which funds community development project throughout the U.S.

Chicago comes to mind.  Trump was going to help the African American communities.  Of course things like these could have so easily been abused during the Obama Administration.  And I haven't seen any positive outcomes.  Just a lot of violence.

15. The Northern Border Regional Commission, which supports economic development in poor areas near the Canadian border.

Don't know why just border area's?

16. The Overseas Private Investment Corporation, which helps provide private U.S. capital to foreign development projects.

Confused about this.  Private Corporation?

17. The United States Institute of Peace, which aims to promote world peace through conflict resolution, training programs and scholarship.

Seems like a Humanity program.

18. The United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, which coordinates efforts to fight homelessness among nearly 20 federal agencies.

Could be abused.  We already have Welfare.  I think this should be up to states to fight homelessness in their own states. 

19. The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, a prominent think tank studying international affairs and foreign policy.

What they do..

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/woodrow-wilson-center-programs-and-initiatives

Have no idea how they interact with other government agencies.

They say that all of this is less than 1% of the budget.  I would agree that we give grants to study the dumbest things.  So some of this could be eliminated but not all grants are useless.  Better oversight.

Offline DB

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:45 am »
There are no end to do-good causes. And through government they all spend someone else's labor by force.

This is not the business of the federal government.

You either hold the line or slide over the slippery slope of picking winners and losers based on somebody's definition of good intentions.

In addition these do-good programs eventually result in the corruption of those doling out the money and those lobbying for it all the while growing their good cause.

It is wrong at its core and can't be fixed no matter who implements it through force of government. Socialism poisons everyone involved. Let it go.

Just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:29:07 am by DB »

Offline DB

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:39 am »
I'll add...

What this boils down to is whatever cause has a majority vote is given license to take from others whatever they demand in order to do whatever they think needs doing. Minority be damned.

That is not the foundation of our constitution. It is quite the opposite in fact.

How about we let individuals chose what they do with their labors and have some faith they'll help other people and restrict government to what it was supposed to do under the constitution?

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 08:23:25 am »

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 08:05:18 am »
No Free Lunch

Private organizations began providing free lunches to hungry school kids back in the late 1800's.  Later, during multiple depressions, government entities at all levels were providing meals to the general public including school children.  Following WWII the country was recovering from war and Harry Truman enacted many programs to ease the transition.  One such program ensured school children would not go hungry.

Each phase of the Free Lunch program just described was essentially a response to a crisis.  And the responses were founded upon good intentions.  But there is no such thing as a "temporary fix" when it comes to government programs as Reagan often reminded us.  Before you know it you have Michelle Obama prohibiting school groups from selling cookies as a means of raising funds for a special event such as a band trip.

All government programs should come with an expiration date.  They would therefore die a natural death unless specifically renewed by Congress.

----

When it comes to tax deductions most are viewed as targeted towards special interests with few exceptions.  One of those exceptions is the deduction for R&D used by many corporations to advance technology, drugs, etc.  Almost universally, the R&D deduction is seen as a key element to overall economic growth of the country.  Yet despite being widely accepted this deduction is not permanent, it must be renewed almost every election cycle.  Which is why you see lobbyists lining up to court politicians with bags filled with cash or less conspicuous equivalents.

Either ban lobbyists in a meaningful way or repeal the 17th Amendment - pick one.

----

The book titled The Tale Of Two Free Lunches begins with the line - It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:15 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit? Now that they are not on the public dole, does this mean no more "P!$$ Christ" upside down crucifixes in beakers of urine and Dung Virgin Marys? I wonder where they will find the patrons to finance this garbage.

Government Compassion. Perhaps the most blatant example of Oxymoron available.

To put it in Star Trek terms, Government's Prime Directive is to Fail as hard as possible.

If any Govt program or Agency actually solved whatever problem it was instituted to address, that program or Agency would have no reason to exist, and NO EXCUSE to keep sticking its snout in the public's pocket year in year out, much less return to Congress Every year for its annual  Budget Increase.

"Why, The Program is perfectly sound Congressman Blowhard.

It's just Underfunded.

Give us a few more Billion and we promise we'll get it right.

We must 'Investment in the Future!'"
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 07:58:40 am »
Government Compassion. Perhaps the most blatant example of Oxymoron available.

To put it in Star Trek terms, Government's Prime Directive is to Fail as hard as possible.

If any Govt program or Agency actually solved whatever problem it was instituted to address, that program or Agency would have no reason to exist, and NO EXCUSE to keep sticking its snout in the public's pocket year in year out, much less return to Congress Every year for its annual  Budget Increase.

"Why, The Program is perfectly sound Congressman Blowhard.  It's just Underfunded.  Give us a few more Billion and we promise we'll get it right.  We must 'Investment in the Future!'"

Only very rarely will you hear a Republican demand to see results of a government program.  Instead they beat around the bush and complain in the most general terms, mostly designed as sound bites for the nightly news. 

Were it a corporate boardroom a manager would say, "We've spent $ 120,000 on this project, show me $ 120,000 in results".  Either deliver or get the ax.  The same is true for small business and even with our own personal checkbooks.  We all know it would be insane to keep throwing money into a black hole.

Yet there are no tangible expectations when it comes to government programs.  We keep throwing money at black holes and hope they go away.  All we get in return is Detroit.

Offline DB

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:35 am »
Only very rarely will you hear a Republican demand to see results of a government program.  Instead they beat around the bush and complain in the most general terms, mostly designed as sound bites for the nightly news. 

Were it a corporate boardroom a manager would say, "We've spent $ 120,000 on this project, show me $ 120,000 in results".  Either deliver or get the ax.  The same is true for small business and even with our own personal checkbooks.  We all know it would be insane to keep throwing money into a black hole.

Yet there are no tangible expectations when it comes to government programs.  We keep throwing money at black holes and hope they go away.  All we get in return is Detroit.

Bureaucrats grow bureaucracy. Grow the budget, grow the number of people, grow the program, grow their authority over others.