Author Topic: How the Conservative Media Became Trump’s Lapdogs  (Read 675 times)

Silver Pines

How the Conservative Media Became Trump’s Lapdogs
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:54 pm »

We used to complain about how the press sucked up to Obama. And look at us now.

By Amanda Carpenter
March 15, 2017

For years, conservatives breathlessly accused the media of being too easy on President Barack Obama and acting like a bunch of sycophantic boot-lickers for his administration. Turns out, some only wanted the chance to try it out for themselves once a Republican was in office.

The Trump administration, with all its ethical mishaps and conflicts, presents conservatives the perfect opportunity to establish themselves as a tough, new vanguard of right-of-center journalism. Unfortunately, right-wing trolls and fanboys with press passes seem more interested in racking up brownie points with POTUS and nursing grudges against liberal media competitors.

Sadly these media personalities—easily found in places such as Breitbart and Fox News—have become exactly what they hated their mainstream media foes for being: biased cheerleaders all too willing to ignore any misdeeds by the president in the name of helping him enact his agenda. Some of those who used to be the conservative movement’s most loyal government watchdogs are nothing but lapdogs now for Trump.

Breitbart News, the alt-right website that Trump White House adviser Steve Bannon ran until last year, is the most obvious example. Its writers fumed over how gently the liberal media treated Obama, even resorting to splashy pranks to prove their point. This is the website that heralded James O’Keefe’s ACORN sting, in which the provocateur went to great lengths impersonating a pimp. The website’s founder, the late Andrew Breitbart, once laced on a pair of roller skates to cruise through a union protest, mocking participants and recording their reactions on camera. And, who can forget how Breitbart hijacked a news conference from former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D.-N.Y.) to shame the media for questioning the stories Breitbart broke regarding the lewd photos the congressman exchanged with young women online?

Read more at:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/how-the-conservative-media-become-trumps-lapdogs-214912

Silver Pines

Re: How the Conservative Media Became Trump’s Lapdogs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:30:50 pm »
I see that Hannity has already taken to rage-tweeting Carpenter about her article...over and over.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:05 pm »
I hate to say it - seeing that it is coming from Politico, but in this case - I wholeheartedly agree with Carpenter's assertion.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:49:34 pm »
I hate to say it - seeing that it is coming from Politico, but in this case - I wholeheartedly agree with Carpenter's assertion.

@INVAR

I don't hate to say it.  Sources like Politico and CNN do actually get things right at times.  If it's truth, it's truth.

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:52:46 pm »
Sean Hannity‏Verified account @seanhannity  18h18 hours ago

Amanda sad you have to use my name for "clicks". I know as a "C" guest at best on "White lash" TV, you are disappointed in your career.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:01:16 pm »

Its obvious and has been for almost the entire campaign.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:10:35 pm »
@INVAR

I don't hate to say it.  Sources like Politico and CNN do actually get things right at times.  If it's truth, it's truth.

Donald Trump called FOX and Friends (something other candidates weren't allowed to do) and told the lie about Rafael Cruz being involved in the JFK assassination. The idiots on F&F sat there nodding like morons with concerned looks on their faces. They didn't do any of that icky journalism or ask any follow up questions. They just let it slide as an unquestioned fact.

CNN on the other hand actually did some investigating and found nothing but evidence that there was no reason to believe Cruz had been involved. Trump told Wolf Blitzer that he never did believe it but he said it because he wanted to win.

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:13 pm »
Donald Trump called FOX and Friends (something other candidates weren't allowed to do) and told the lie about Rafael Cruz being involved in the JFK assassination. The idiots on F&F sat there nodding like morons with concerned looks on their faces. They didn't do any of that icky journalism or ask any follow up questions. They just let it slide as an unquestioned fact.

CNN on the other hand actually did some investigating and found nothing but evidence that there was no reason to believe Cruz had been involved. Trump told Wolf Blitzer that he never did believe it but he said it because he wanted to win.

@Cripplecreek

I remember seeing that.  Doocey and the rest of them sat their like puppets.  I know better than to go to Fox for any kind of impartial coverage.  At least with CNN you know their biases upfront and can weed through them.

Check this out:

Larry Schweikart‏ @LarrySchweikart  18h18 hours ago
More
 @amandacarpenter @POLITICOMag who the hell are you? Certainly not anyone I trust for facts

This from a washed-up college instructor who thinks Trump has more moral character than Moses or King David.

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:56 pm »
A handful of people are "Conservative Media?" This forum gets many posts from conservative or non-leftist sources other than those mentioned. Most get no replies, but still.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:25:31 pm by endicom »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 02:10:59 am »
If the opposition has all of the MSM and the President has the handful of "conservative" media outlets---I consider this one step closer to fair and balanced.  :smokin:

Good for us and good for the President.

Silver Pines

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:57:34 pm »
If the opposition has all of the MSM and the President has the handful of "conservative" media outlets---I consider this one step closer to fair and balanced.  :smokin:

Good for us and good for the President.

@Right_in_Virginia

No.  You don't address bias in the media by creating your own bias.  That's not how it works.  It might slake an emotion-based thirst, but it doesn't serve the country in the least.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

No.  You don't address bias in the media by creating your own bias.  That's not how it works.  It might slake an emotion-based thirst, but it doesn't serve the country in the least.

Ms. Carpenter omitted another conservative outlet that's gone so deep into the tank for Donaldus Minimus you can't tell them
from the catfish: The American Spectator.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 05:58:15 pm »

The dirty secret is that a large swathe of the so-called "conservative media" have always been lapdogs.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Here's your sign @CatherineofAragon  ^-^

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »
The dirty secret is that a large swathe of the so-called "conservative media" have always been lapdogs.

Most in the conservative media are more adversarial than conservative. It was easy for them to adopt whatever Trump says is conservative because they don't have any conservative fiber in them. Theirs is scripted conservatism and Trump handed them a new script and they didn't even notice that hard change of direction.

Most are just country club conservatives who haven't got the slightest idea what real conservatism is about. They would be horrified if they were forced to spend any real time where I'm comfortable in my tiny village.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 07:33:34 pm »
Most in the conservative media are more adversarial than conservative.

They're just entertainment. Once the weight of their audience shifted towards Trump, one by one they had to fall or lose ratings.

They're more loyal to their ratings than conservatism.

But their geriatric, gullible audience believes they're conservative so there we are.