Author Topic: Police got search warrant for everyone who Googled Edina resident's name  (Read 852 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Issued by Hennepin County District Judge Gary Larson, the warrant looks at anyone who searched variations of a resident’s name on Google from Dec. 1 through Jan. 7.

A search warrant issued to Edina police to collect information on people who used certain search terms on Google is raising concerns about constitutional violations.

Privacy law experts say that the warrant — issued to find a suspect in an attempted identity and credit theft of an Edina resident — is based on an unusually broad definition of probable cause that would be troubling if it became widespread.

“This kind of warrant is cause for concern because it’s closer to these dragnet searches that the Fourth Amendment is designed to prevent,” said William McGeveran, a law professor at the University of Minnesota.

Issued by Hennepin County District Judge Gary Larson in early February, the warrant looks at anyone who searched variations of the resident’s name on Google from Dec. 1 through Jan. 7.

In addition to basic contact information for people targeted by the warrant, Google would have to provide Edina police with their Social Security numbers, account and payment information, and IP (internet protocol) and computer addresses.

Information on the warrant first emerged through a blog post by public records researcher Tony Webster. Edina police declined to comment Thursday on the warrant, saying it is part of an ongoing investigation.

Detective David Lindman outlined the case in his application for the search warrant:

More: http://www.startribune.com/search-warrant-issued-to-edina-police-raises-privacy-concerns-of-internet-users/416442113/

Guys? We're supposed to be the police state. Not you.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes, that's disturbing.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
4th Amendment violation anyone?  **nononono*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
4th Amendment violation anyone?  **nononono*

Well... I mean that obtained a search warrant.  :shrug:

Not that I think it's reasonable.

Offline Frank Cannon

Well... I mean that obtained a search warrant.  :shrug:

Right. So a judge signed off on it so it is kosher. Judges also signed off on Plessy v Ferguson, Korematsu v. United States,  Kelo v. City of New London.

Judges are garbage.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Did Trump google the name?  :whistle:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Did Trump google the name?  :whistle:

He probably tweeted it, which is why everybody's Googling it.  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: