Author Topic: Natural and home remedies for a sore throat  (Read 1047 times)

rangerrebew

Natural and home remedies for a sore throat
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:50:35 am »
Natural and home remedies for a sore throat
Written by David RailtonReviewed by Alana Biggers, MD, MPH
Knowledge center
Last reviewed: Mon 20 February 2017
email
110Share

When people have a sore throat, they may experience a scratchy sensation in their throat, experience difficulty swallowing, or have sore or swollen glands in the neck or jaw. Sneezing, coughing, runny nose, and fever are symptoms that also sometimes accompany sore throat.

People usually recover from a sore throat in just 3-4 days, though complications can occur in some cases. One serious complication of sore throat - rheumatic fever - affects the heart and joints.

There are several things that people with sore throats can do to relieve their symptoms. This article will look at what natural remedies are available, as well as other treatment options and causes.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315916.php
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:51:16 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: Natural and home remedies for a sore throat
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:28:44 am »
When I was a kid, my mother would dissolve 3-5 aspirin in warm water.  We were instructed to gargle with this concoction and let a small amount trickle down the throat.  Worked for me. 

Nowadays, I think most aspirin is safety coated, so I don't know if it would dissolve in warm water like plain, old fashioned aspirin.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:07:11 am »
When I was a kid, my mother would dissolve 3-5 aspirin in warm water.  We were instructed to gargle with this concoction and let a small amount trickle down the throat.  Worked for me. 

Nowadays, I think most aspirin is safety coated, so I don't know if it would dissolve in warm water like plain, old fashioned aspirin.

When I was a kid, my mom made this awful onion soup thing - All I can remember of it was the powerful taste of onion and brown sugar... maybe blackstrap molasses. Very loud. very bitter... but it really worked, even against bad flu... Unfortunately my mom doesn't remember it, so the recipe died with her mom and sister.

As to the aspirin, I can still remember slivers of willow inner bark steeping in the tea pot... Poplar and cottonwood work too...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:08:52 am by roamer_1 »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 05:38:27 pm »
Whatever happened to tea with honey, lemon and whiskey..................lot's of whiskey.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:49:12 pm »
Gargle with warm salt water. And drink slippery elm tea.

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:39:43 pm »
Lemon tea helps me quite a bit.  I never had my tonsils out so every cold begins with a sore throat.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:09:23 pm »
Tall glass of weak lemonade made with mix. Squeeze in as much lemon as you can take. Add Rock-n-Rye until it gets sweet again.
Countdown to Resignation

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:24:36 pm »
Tall glass of weak lemonade made with mix. Squeeze in as much lemon as you can take. Add Rock-n-Rye until it gets sweet again.

Lol, no hard stuff for me, but I'll take the all the lemon I can get.