Author Topic: A global pandemic could kill more people than nuclear war, former VP candidate Lieberman warns - CNBC  (Read 2352 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A global pandemic could kill more people than nuclear war, former VP candidate Lieberman warns
 Matthew J. Belvedere   | @Matt_Belvedere
Thursday, 9 Mar 2017 | 11:57 AM ET
The United States needs to sharpen its biodefense strategy to guard against the possibility of a global pandemic and the potential of a terrorist attack using a virus, Joe Lieberman, a former longtime U.S. senator, told CNBC on Thursday.

"Two things keep me up. One is that a group like ISIS will develop a synthetic form of the flu, a powerful flu, and move it into our population," said the 2000 Democratic vice presidential candidate. "The second, which is probably the more likely, [with] similar effect, is that there be an infectious disease pandemic."

The latter concern about a pandemic hits home for Lieberman.

Continued: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/a-global-pandemic-could-kill-more-people-than-nuclear-war-former-vp-candidate-lieberman-warns.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From the Party that brought Ebola to the Americas...to your ears.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Disease is certainly the most dangerous weapon terrorists could potentially get their hands on.

A nuke is bad and can kill a lot of people but everybody knows when it goes off and much can be done to mitigate further damage. A disease, depending on its incubation period can spread far and wide among the people before anybody notices.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:00:42 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline Smokin Joe

Disease is certainly the most dangerous weapon terrorists could potentially get their hands on.

A nuke is bad and can kill a lot of people but everybody knows when it goes off and much can be done to mitigate further damage. A disease, depending on its incubation period can spread far and wide among the people before anybody notices.
No argument, here. With the fading of basic hygienic behaviour, any deadly disease with a longer incubation period, capable of forming fomites (surviving as a viable organism on inert surfaces outside the human body) would be particularly devastating in an urban area. Even worse at something like sporting events, concerts, or venues where people come from all over.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Wingnut

Nature will take care of the excess population.   It is how the world works.

Offline Frank Cannon

Nature will take care of the excess population.   It is how the world works.

Nature and a .357 Magnum....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

There are plenty of international intrigue books on this pre and post 9/11/2001.

Biological warfare. I have wondered about destroying food crops.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

In most wars the highest death tolls aren't from bullets.

Offline DB

Drones dispensing fire could do massive damage to crops, forest and even cities. Brave new world...

Offline Suppressed

Bingo. 

Doesn't have to be a direct approach...food crops instead of human disease.  Or, another vector instead of food crops. Ecological webs can be vulnerable in many ways.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

Nature and a .357 Magnum....

Dangit, Frank, that was supposed to be a .44 Magnum ("the most powerful handgun in the world")

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Bingo. 

Doesn't have to be a direct approach...food crops instead of human disease.  Or, another vector instead of food crops. Ecological webs can be vulnerable in many ways.
Starvation is a weapon of mass destruction.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

There are plenty of international intrigue books on this pre and post 9/11/2001.

Light reading:

http://www.lemodesittjr.com/the-books/ecolitan-matter/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Victoria33

Fastest way to kill millions is corrupt/bring down the internet.  That shuts down electricity, stops trucks delivering food and shuts down the money system.  The first to die are serious patients in hospitals, then the populace begins to die. etc., etc.

Offline thackney

Fastest way to kill millions is corrupt/bring down the internet.  That shuts down electricity, stops trucks delivering food and shuts down the money system.  The first to die are serious patients in hospitals, then the populace begins to die. etc., etc.

Shutting down the internet would not shut down utility electrical generation.

While internet is used for remote monitoring, it is not necessary for control and operation.

Same with protective relaying for the associated substations and transmission lines.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:07:59 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

So we are now so dependent on the web, that people will die without it? How did we survive before we had it ?

We flew to the moon, did heart transplants, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

Dangit, Frank, that was supposed to be a .44 Magnum ("the most powerful handgun in the world")

"and would blow your head clean off,....."

:beer:

Offline Just_Victor

It don't know if this seems obvious, but a an attack on the food supply will empower the food producers, ie. the USA.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

It don't know if this seems obvious, but a an attack on the food supply will empower the food producers, ie. the USA.
As long as they are still producing food.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

You know, the world would be a beautiful place to live if it weren't for all the humans.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No argument, here. With the fading of basic hygienic behaviour, any deadly disease with a longer incubation period, capable of forming fomites (surviving as a viable organism on inert surfaces outside the human body) would be particularly devastating in an urban area. Even worse at something like sporting events, concerts, or venues where people come from all over.

Small Pox.  Far fewer people are inoculated than there used to be.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

Small Pox.  Far fewer people are inoculated than there used to be.

On the bright side a huge Pox Pandemic  might swing the anti vax crowd over.   Nah probably not. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
On the bright side a huge Pox Pandemic  might swing the anti vax crowd over.   Nah probably not.

Depends on whom it kills.  They won't care if it's a bunch of brown people in Africa.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: