Author Topic: Admiral, seven others charged with corruption in new ‘Fat Leonard’ indictment  (Read 500 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Justice Department unsealed a fresh indictment Tuesday charging eight current and former Navy officials — including an admiral — with corruption and other crimes in the “Fat Leonard” bribery case, escalating an epic scandal that has dogged the Navy for the past four years.

Among those charged were Rear Adm. Bruce Loveless, a senior Navy intelligence officer based at the Pentagon, several Navy captains and a retired colonel from the Marine Corps. The charges cover a period of eight years, from 2006 through 2014.

The Navy personnel are accused of taking bribes in the form of lavish gifts, prostitutes and luxury hotel stays courtesy of Leonard Glenn Francis, a Singapore-based defense contractor who has already pleaded guilty to defrauding the Navy of tens of millions of dollars.

The indictment lists page after page of bribes allegedly consumed by the defendants — seven senior officers and one enlisted sailor — including $25,000 watches, $2,000 boxes of Cohiba cigars, $2,000 bottles of cognac and $600-per-night hotel rooms.

According to the charging documents, Francis also frequently sponsored wild sex parties for many officers on the USS Blue Ridge, the flagship of the Navy’s 7th Fleet, and other warships.

During a port visit by the Blue Ridge to Manila in May 2008, for example, five of the Navy officers attended a “raging multi-day party, with a rotating carousel of prostitutes,” at the Shangri-La Hotel, according to the indictment. The group allegedly drank the hotel’s entire supply of Dom Perignon champagne and rang up expenses exceeding $50,000, which Francis covered in full.

More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/admiral-seven-others-charged-with-corruption-in-new-%E2%80%98fat-leonard%E2%80%99-indictment/ar-AAom2vy

I'm in the wrong damned service. Best bribe I've been offered was a case of cigarettes and half a pound of opium.  **nononono*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Former military syndicated talk-radio show host of The Dark Secret Place with Bryan Suits spoke about this at length several months ago. I remember he described how the administration of the Seventh Fleet was a tremendous corruption-laden environment in which the billions of dollars of spending on support services form the central impetus.

He ruefully stated how it is common knowledge for instance, that officials in the Navy would routinely "do business" with contractors by giving them information about where and when the ships in the fleet will be docking. The companies which maintain services for docked ships for refueling and food services can sometimes earn contracts worth tens of millions of dollars - giving more-than-ample incentive for bribery and kickbacks.

Kudos to Suits. His was also one of the only radio shows who had the guts to have Sebastian Gorka on his show to explain about how to defeat radical Islam and how the first step in that direction was to have the courage and moral fortitude to actually use and deal in the term "radical Islam".

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-navy-admiral-and-eight-other-officers-indicted-trading-classified-information-massive
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:58:55 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)