Author Topic: Teens Apologize for Wearing Red, White, and Blue to High School Basketball Game  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.yahoo.com/style/high-school-basketball-players-apologize-to-opponents-for-wearing-red-white-and-blue-202222669.html

A group of students from Iowa are now apologizing after wearing red, white, and blue outfits to a high school basketball game.

For U.S.A. theme night at Valley High School, in West Des Moines, Iowa, many teenagers in the stands wore patriotic outfits. However, because some members of the opposing team, Des Moines North State, come from refugee families, the color scheme was found to be offensive.

“Everything just blows up after the game, and I’m still hearing about it this morning,” said Morgan Wheat, an assistant coach at Des Moines North, of the hubbub, according to WhoTV.com.

The Valley High students, who decided to ditch their school colors of black and orange in favor of the patriotic hues, insisted they weren’t making a political statement of any kind with their surprise attire. But offended parties took to social media to air their grievances. “Kids are kids, I get it, but I do have questions. I want to know why,” wrote one person. “Any normal person, any educated person can look at that and think what the hell are these kids thinking,” Wheat added, presumably because of President Trump’s recent closing of the nation’s borders to refugees and citizens of seven Muslim countries.

In a display of good sportsmanship and an offering of peace, Valley High students were quick to issue a heartfelt statement to their rivals, in hopes of clearing up any misunderstandings and defusing negativity and anger.

On Thursday, Valley High School’s student leaders hand-delivered the following letter to Des Moines North, according to Fox News Insider.

To the Students and Staff of North High School:

It has been brought to our attention that the decision by the Valley High School student section to wear U.S.A. apparel at our game last night was offensive to members of your community and fan base. We are deeply sorry if we have offended anyone in any way. We have traditionally dressed in such a fashion for great games such as the one last night. Everyone here at Valley has immense respect not only for your team and players but for your community as a whole. Please know that our intent was in no way to offend or demean—just to support our own team in a way we have done before.

Congratulations on a wonderful season and we wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future.

Sincerely,

Valley High School Student Council Leadership

The note was well received, especially by the coach of the Des Moines North State team, who conceded that it should not be assumed that the students intended any ill will. In response, he said, “I don’t want to judge those young people, not knowing their motives,” Ryan said. “What I will say is we’re proud of our diversity at North High School — not only on our basketball team, but our population,” the Des Moines Register reports.

Ryan added that he’s proud of his school’s diversity. “It’s been good for us, as a school,” Ryan said to the publication. “They learn from each other about people with different cultures and backgrounds — and we try to use it as an educational piece.”

Offline Frank Cannon

Anyone confused about why Trump won, read this article. The American flag and it's colors are now a hate crime.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I hate to use the term, but it is fake news. They were not reprimanded for wearing Red, White, and Blue, they were reprimanded for how they were acting. One blog claimed it was due to their clothing so the media ran with that, but it was fake.

http://www.snopes.com/iowa-students-apologize/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Offline Frank Cannon

I hate to use the term, but it is fake news. They were not reprimanded for wearing Red, White, and Blue, they were reprimanded for how they were acting. One blog claimed it was due to their clothing so the media ran with that, but it was fake.

http://www.snopes.com/iowa-students-apologize/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

No. The fake news is what Lefty Snopes is trying to spin. I found no article claiming they were forced to send the apology. All Snopes is clinging to is a random tweet from a nobody. We have direct quotes from the other school calling them racists for wearing red, white and blue....

Erin Ness Carter, a mother living in the school district, remarked that “for the supporters of one team from a primarily white part of town to paint themselves as the ‘team of the USA’ it strongly implies that the other team, the less white team, is less American.”

“Any normal person, any educated person can look at that and think what the hell are these kids thinking,” said Morgan Wheat, assistant coach of the Des Moines North basketball team, according to WHO-TV.com. “Kids are kids, I get it, but I do have questions. I want to know why.”

http://www.worldtribune.com/iowa-high-school-students-called-racist-for-wearing-u-s-flag-colors-to-basketball-game/

BTW, this has been a long standing tradition at the school and beyond that if these "Diverse People" have a problem with the flag they can go back to whatever shithole garbage can they fled to come here.

Wingnut

Is this Heaven?

Nope...Iowa.

Offline Mod2

Moved to Education category.

Wingnut

We don't need no education.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I wonder what percentage of the world population would give their left arm (literally) to be fortunate enough to live in a society rich enough to the point where people have enough luxury to take the time to be offended by those celebrating that same society.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yeah, I don't know about that Snopes piece, Abaraxas. Lots of claims with no back up.

Offline Frank Cannon

Education board? That's the Siberia of TBR.

Wingnut

Education board? That's the Siberia of TBR.

Frank.  Someone up there just doesn't like you!   LOL   :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: