Author Topic: Floating countries of the future - this could be your new home  (Read 1047 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Do you love the ocean? Are you an innovator? Are you sick and tired of old models of government that are stuck in the last century?

If you answered yes to the above, consider seasteading; it's like Waterworld but without the mutants.

The idea is to build politically independent countries that float on the ocean, and the concept might not be as far-out as you think.

The Seasteading Institute has already signed an agreement with the French Polynesian government to develop a legal framework for the first floating island and the Institute is currently calling for public submissions to attend its upcoming forum in the region.

As part of its Ignite series featuring radical and provocative ideas for the future, Lateline spoke to Seasteading Institute spokesman Joe Quirk, about how these floating nations could work.
What are seasteads?

Seasteads are floating islands of self-governing communities which hope to facilitate innovative business ideas in a low-regulation environment.

Mr Quirk said the world is run by old-style governments and seasteads would move the world into the 21st Century.

"Seasteaders bring a Silicon Valley sensibility to the problem of governments not innovating sufficiently," Mr Quirk said.

"Innovators are held back and stymied by existing regulations, and we want to give them 21st century regulations on start-up governments," he said.

"Once you provide people with a platform to start their own country, every conceivable type of innovator reaches out to you with their own idea."

Wouldn't they just be floating tax havens?

According to Joe Quirk, no.

"A seastead can't help you avoid taxes if you're an American citizen. If you make six figures you can't avoid taxes, whether you move to a seastead or to Switzerland," he said.

Still, won't they just be full of rich people?

"Seasteads cost money, and if you want to succeed as a Seastead you have to find ways to attract people to move there. If I was a billionaire I wouldn't want to move to a seastead, but if I was a member of the bottom billion, most of whom want to leave their dysfunctional governments, I might want to move to a seastead."

The founding philosophy is minimal governance

Mr Quirk said the Seasteading Institute takes no position on what kind of societies should be formed.

"We're providing a technology for other people to try their version of societies," he said.

"As long as people can join them voluntarily and leave them voluntarily, and all the seasteads have to compete amongst each other to attract citizens voluntarily, we think the best solutions for governance will emerge."

More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-14/seasteading:-the-plan-to-build-floating-cities-a-innovation-hubs/8349642
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Floating countries of the future - this could be your new home
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:29:38 am »
@kevindavis  Not strictly space, but I'm thinking organising and running a seastead wouldn't be all that different from running a colony ship.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:30:46 pm »
@kevindavis  Not strictly space, but I'm thinking organising and running a seastead wouldn't be all that different from running a colony ship.

That is true.. Not different at all.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:36:41 pm »

That is true.. Not different at all.

It would be an interesting large scale experiment but a colony ship wouldn't have trade with the outside world.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:03 pm »
Wasn't that what Waterworld was about?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:40:17 pm »
I just want a flying car.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 11:41:12 pm »

Aqua Neegan

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:11 am »
It would be an interesting large scale experiment but a colony ship wouldn't have trade with the outside world.

The thing with the colony ship is how to keep order so things don't go crazy..

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 12:23:28 am »

Fun movie, idiotic concept.

Spoiler alert.  The geological marker on Mt Everest doesn't exist, but assuming the world were inundated with water to 28,000ft or so above current sea level, todays modern cities would be under 25000ft of water.  Far beneath the ability of surface creatures, including Kevin Costner, to "dive" to them.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:13 am »

I think you would need a civil government separate from the ship's operational hierarchy. Kinda like Battlestar Galactica.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:15 am »
Fun movie, idiotic concept.

Spoiler alert.  The geological marker on Mt Everest doesn't exist, but assuming the world were inundated with water to 28,000ft or so above current sea level, todays modern cities would be under 25000ft of water.  Far beneath the ability of surface creatures, including Kevin Costner, to "dive" to them.

@Just_Victor

Surely you jest! We all know movie stars can do anything.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 12:36:46 am »
I think you would need a civil government separate from the ship's operational hierarchy. Kinda like Battlestar Galactica.

Yep..

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 12:51:47 am »
Oath of Fealty - Niven.

It's an arcology, not a colony ship, but the arc designer does say they are practice runs for starships in it.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 01:43:17 am »
These "floating cities" would be great targets for bands of organized pirates...  ;)

Offline Idiot

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 03:36:27 am »
No thanks.  I was on a cruise ship that sailed through the southern half of Hurricane Katrina in the gulf.  Nope....not living on one of those rather large roller coasters....EVER!

geronl

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 07:57:50 am »
Of course if you expect any political recognition, you're dreaming

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 08:12:06 am »

The larger problem would be defense against outside forces.

geronl

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 09:17:55 am »

Yep, that is definitely the problem in one of my unfinished stories, of course the ship was set up to be a little UN and given its orders from Earth.