Author Topic: Colonizing Mars Might Require Humans to Radically Alter Their Bodies and Minds  (Read 8968 times)

Offline kevindavis007

No, one of my cousins children told me about him. She knows I like SF, but haven't read anything new since the millennium. I actually turned her on to SF when she was 12, I bought her Bradbury and Asimov.

@Freya

You might want to read the Mars books by Ben Bova..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Nor will they disappear with other differences in needs and resources as well. If you taxed each earthling a liter of water a year, that would be one thing in terms of resources, someone on Mars, something entirely different. Imagine earth imposed BMI and 'health' parameters, for instance, after a few generations on Mars (which make as much sense as imposing that single standard or dietary constraints on several regional genetic pools in the US today). One size does not fit all, even on a smaller than interplanetary scale.

Its also possible that there would be no major issues to fight over aside from Martian independence from earth. Mars doesn't really have any resources that would be worth the cost of exporting to earth. Once mars became a self sustaining and thriving entity, taxation and right of self determination would become the sore points.

I think the value of mars will be as a manufacturing center for further expansion into space. The lower gravity allows launches of larger payloads for assembly it Phobos or in orbit..

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Its also possible that there would be no major issues to fight over aside from Martian independence from earth. Mars doesn't really have any resources that would be worth the cost of exporting to earth. Once mars became a self sustaining and thriving entity, taxation and right of self determination would become the sore points.

I think the value of mars will be as a manufacturing center for further expansion into space. The lower gravity allows launches of larger payloads for assembly it Phobos or in orbit..
I have greater manufacturing expectations for the Belt. Raw materials can be scanned and picked, low/no G manufacturing, unless that G-force is imparted (think centrifuge). Sure, it still takes force to move mass, whatever the weight is, but I think there are no-G manufacturing options that will become evident pretty fast.
The question for Belters will be one of self-sustainability. That will be difficult, at least at first, and tough to establish. All the folks on Mars will have to do is 'change their world'. The Belters will have to build theirs from scratch. Which will be easier to accomplish I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:47:23 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

I have greater manufacturing expectations for the Belt. Raw materials can be scanned and picked, low/no G manufacturing, unless that G-force is imparted (think centrifuge). Sure, it still takes force to move mass, whatever the weight is, but I think there are no-G manufacturing options that will become evident pretty fast.
The question of r Belters will be one of self-sustainability. That will be difficult, at least at first, and tough to establish. All the folks on Mars will have to do is 'change their world'. The Belters will have to build theirs from scratch. Which will be easier to accomplish I don't know.

I see mars as more of a jumping off point and agree that the belters will become the industrialists of the system.

Offline kevindavis007

The question of r Belters will be one of self-sustainability. That will be difficult, at least at first, and tough to establish. All the folks on Mars will have to do is 'change their world'. The Belters will have to build theirs from scratch. Which will be easier to accomplish I don't know.

Basically the Solar System could be the Solar System like in the Expanse.

Offline Smokin Joe

Basically the Solar System could be the Solar System like in the Expanse.
One of the reasons I like the show is that it seems well thought out in that regard. The other is that human nature still governs the actions of humanity, despite all the touchy-feely social development sci-fi is often laced with. We are who and what we are, in many regards, and have been for millennia. It is our basic nature that leads to us explore and invent and yes,  conquer, whether that conquest be climbing a mountain or taking over the next country. It's wired in in there somewhere.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
Just like in all the books and movies, once we colonize Mars humans and martians will become two separate species. They will no longer be able to live on Earth without a suit and vice versa. Eventually and inevitably, these two former partners will begin to have disputes over resources and political issues. These disputes will escalate until we are at full blown war. Earth will win the war but the martians form an underground which will defeat Earth's occupation. Mars will setup powerful planetary defense systems. The moon becomes the DMZ and all transfers of goods or meetings happen there.

That's the what I see happening. It is a shame. But I can see no way to avoid it.

I  don't  think that's remotely part of God's script for the  future.

imho, His script is the only one that matters.

Besides . . . it has often appeared to me on reflecting, that when human tech and  political systems reach a certain level, either we bring ourselves to our knees or God insures something happens that mushes things all up and mankind starts over at a very low tech level.

IF, as appears to be the case, earth is primarily designed to train and filter out a class of humble, loving, suffering-refined folks to 'rule and reign with Christ' over countless ages and worlds . . . then low tech cultures may work as well or better toward that goal than high tech cultures.

Having humans be refined by being "iron sharpening  iron" with one another learning to "submit one to another" and to be sacrificially loving and helpful to one another . . . works quite well enough in low tech cultures--maybe better.

Then there's  Almighty God Yehovah's promise: "Even  if they build their nests among the stars, yet will I bring them down."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:10:00 am by Quix »
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline kevindavis007

One of the reasons I like the show is that it seems well thought out in that regard. The other is that human nature still governs the actions of humanity, despite all the touchy-feely social development sci-fi is often laced with. We are who and what we are, in many regards, and have been for millennia. It is our basic nature that leads to us explore and invent and yes,  conquer, whether that conquest be climbing a mountain or taking over the next country. It's wired in in there somewhere.

I believe our future is going to more like the The Expanse / Firefly with Babylon 5 or Star Trek Technology.

Offline Quix

Exotic propulsion tech would likely remove the gravity issue in terms of lofting weight off planet.

. . . if we ever got to that point.

Ben Rich, retiring head of Lockheed Skunk Works has indicated we already use such tech.

Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Besides . . . it has often appeared to me on reflecting, that when human tech and  political systems reach a certain level, either we bring ourselves to our knees or God insures something happens that mushes things all up and mankind starts over at a very low tech level.

IF, as appears to be the case, earth is primarily designed to train and filter out a class of humble, loving, suffering-refined folks to 'rule and reign with Christ' over countless ages and worlds . . . then low tech cultures may work as well or better toward that goal than high tech cultures.

Having humans be refined by being "iron sharpening  iron" with one another learning to "submit one to another" and to be sacrificially loving and helpful to one another . . . works quite well enough in low tech cultures--maybe better.

Then there's  Almighty God Yehovah's promise: "Even  if they build their nests among the stars, yet will I bring them down."

Pretty much says it .
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

I believe our future is going to more like the The Expanse / Firefly with Babylon 5 or Star Trek Technology.
Understanding gravity, warp drive, force fields (shields) will all be needed to really move out, but even a in-system expansion is a start.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

Pretty much says it .

Says that God is still in control no matter where I am. I've never disputed it.

Offline roamer_1

Pretty much says it .

Except 'they' are not us...

Offline Smokin Joe

Since the tower of Babel, humans have been somewhat self-limiting. The libraries of Alexandria were reputed to have cures for cancer, for instance.
Every time we get close, someone decides to burn the books. In fact, that's how my mother referred to the cataclysmic episodes in human history as "burning the books" (and perhaps why we had a library at home).
We're close, as a species, to burning the books again and entering another dark age--if not the end of ages. Either we step out and 'conquer' in that  more philosophical sense, or we will likely devolve into another century of bloodletting, despite there being plenty of resources.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

Understanding gravity, warp drive, force fields (shields) will all be needed to really move out, but even a in-system expansion is a start.

That is why in the next 100 years The Expanse will be our future (hopefully the UN is not running things).

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Mars vs Earth seems inevitable.  The Earthlings will have pretty much footed the bill for everything, but the second or third generation Martians will likely see any Earth dominance (like taxation) over Mars as tyranny.  Getting much farther out than Mars, we need to simply accept that the "colonists" represent an independent "nation".

Lately I've been thinking about a world with no FTL, wormholes, inertial dampeners, etc.  Kind of makes inter-system war of any kind but all out invade and conquer obsolete.  With communication times measured in years and travel times measured in generations, who is going to want to get on a ship to attack another planet when the war might be over long before you get there?  An interesting twist is to also disallow hybernation, so the "soldiers" who embark will not be the ones doing the fighting, their job will be to raise families so their great great grandchildren will be the soldiers.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
This vid I posted has the truth about Mars in the first part. I found it entertaining.  ^-^

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,253765.msg1258627.html#msg1258627
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Quix

Except 'they' are not us...

How do you interpret that term in that context?

Offline Suppressed

Another good adaptation would be smaller humans that take up less space and eat less food. Humans that only grow to the size of a 10 year old child could be advantageous.

Perhaps the martians of the future will look something like...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kevindavis007

Another good adaptation would be smaller humans that take up less space and eat less food. Humans that only grow to the size of a 10 year old child could be advantageous.

Those humans can run the sleeper ships while the normal humans is in stasis.. Did I just open a can of worms with that comment??
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:58:38 am by kevindavis »

Offline Cripplecreek

After I said it I had the same thought. I just described the greys. :silly:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@Cripplecreek

Soooo, we are already there and all we need to do is get in touch with ourselves.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Those humans can run the sleeper ships while the normal humans is in stasis.. Did I just open a can of worms with that comment??

Might as well have robots for that. Although there is the speculation the greys are just that.

Offline Quix

This vid I posted has the truth about Mars in the first part. I found it entertaining.  ^-^

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,253765.msg1258627.html#msg1258627

= = = = =

Welllllllllllll, I do not anticipate doing that again the rest of my life.
I forced myself to watch the whole thing simply out of respect for you as a person and my  telling you I'd watch it.
It is difficult for me to think a the tiniest part of it that I'd consider solid truth.
The whole thing and every significant part of it strikes me as a mangled together bunch of new age deception.
I do not doubt that the dark lord has been busy for millennia concocting layers upon layers and elaborations upon elaborations toward the END TIMES GREAT DECEPTION.
I do not doubt that such a video could conceivably seduce millions of folks to follow the yellow brick road to satanic tyranny of the worst order.
It may be good for me to be more aware of where such 'constructions on' "reality" currently are in some spheres of philosophical thought.
However, i don't plan to needlessly spend that much time with that much blatant, deceptive stuff ever again.
Cheers.

Offline Smokin Joe

Might as well have robots for that. Although there is the speculation the greys are just that.
Be careful with that...."Good Morning, Doctor Chandra, I am ready for my first lesson."

C S Lewis