Author Topic: $2000 per month for apartment with a toilet in the kitchen in San Francisco  (Read 966 times)

geronl

toilet in the kitchen sounds perfect for such a messed up place

Offline cato potatoe

This shouldn't be a problem, as indoor plumbing is rarely utilized in SF.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
It wasn't so long ago that there were still many people in America without indoor plumbing (usually they had running water but no indoor toilet). When I was a teenager I helped my grandfather wire the bathroom for the last house in my hometown without one. At the time the family across the road from me outside of town also had an outhouse.

In the 50s and 60s when new toilets were going in all across America the toilet often ended up in odd places. One house in my hometown had the crapper in the middle of the livingroom floor. My best friend's house had a toilet in the closet that also served as an access to the basement via ladder. There was one house that had an outhouse with a flush toilet on an outdoor balcony.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
That sounds about right for NYC too.

Rents are ridiculous there.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

It wasn't so long ago that there were still many people in America without indoor plumbing (usually they had running water but no indoor toilet). When I was a teenager I helped my grandfather wire the bathroom for the last house in my hometown without one. At the time the family across the road from me outside of town also had an outhouse.

In the 50s and 60s when new toilets were going in all across America the toilet often ended up in odd places. One house in my hometown had the crapper in the middle of the livingroom floor. My best friend's house had a toilet in the closet that also served as an access to the basement via ladder. There was one house that had an outhouse with a flush toilet on an outdoor balcony.
I remember reading an article about the last person to have an outhouse in my hometown of La Crosse, Wisc. This was about twenty years ago. I remember being stunned to read that there were still people in the northern U.S. who preferred walking out into subzero winter weather rather than staying indoors to do their business.
I believe the city had to wait until the guy died (he was pretty old at the time the story was printed) before they could get rid of the outhouse.

Offline Cripplecreek

I remember reading an article about the last person to have an outhouse in my hometown of La Crosse, Wisc. This was about twenty years ago. I remember being stunned to read that there were still people in the northern U.S. who preferred walking out into subzero winter weather rather than staying indoors to do their business.
I believe the city had to wait until the guy died (he was pretty old at the time the story was printed) before they could get rid of the outhouse.

It used to irritate me to turn on C-span and find Robert Byrd going on and on about being a "Po white boy in the hills who had to struggle up from negative nuthin without even the small luxuries of indoor plumbin and an indoor privy".

I remember thinking, even if every word were true his life was no tougher than most Americans who grew up at the same time. My mother was born in 47 and my grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing till about 1963. Fortunately the local doctor who lived next door saw a problem and dealt with it on his own. He laid a concrete pad and built 2 concrete shower stalls outside with hot and cold running water that locals could use anytime they wanted. During the winter he let them use the shower in the small bathroom off his doctor's office.

Offline Frank Cannon

If you are going to have a shitter in the kitchen, at least it is modern and sleek....

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I had thought this would be against health code for good reason btw. This is why people get diseases in third world countries with open sewers.

Not even animals shit where they eat.

Offline goatprairie

It used to irritate me to turn on C-span and find Robert Byrd going on and on about being a "Po white boy in the hills who had to struggle up from negative nuthin without even the small luxuries of indoor plumbin and an indoor privy".

I remember thinking, even if every word were true his life was no tougher than most Americans who grew up at the same time. My mother was born in 47 and my grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing till about 1963. Fortunately the local doctor who lived next door saw a problem and dealt with it on his own. He laid a concrete pad and built 2 concrete shower stalls outside with hot and cold running water that locals could use anytime they wanted. During the winter he let them use the shower in the small bathroom off his doctor's office.
I remember a kid from my neighborhood growing up whose father died. His mother remarried a farmer. I spent on a week on the farm with my friend around 1962.  No indoor plumbing.  A chamber pot under the bed for when you had to go at night. I managed to survive. The week on the farm during haying season did discourage me from ever wanting to be a farmer.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Where's Jimmy when you need him???
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Where's Jimmy when you need him???

Had forgotten all about him. Trump makes him seem boring.

Offline Cripplecreek

Had forgotten all about him. Trump makes him seem boring.

Trump makes him seem sane.

Offline thackney

I had thought this would be against health code for good reason btw. This is why people get diseases in third world countries with open sewers.

Not even animals shit where they eat.

Are you under the impression the decision to wash your hands is controlled by the separation of walls and doors?

I didn't see any where in the article where the toilet bowl was used as a sink for washing food.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

Are you under the impression the decision to wash your hands is controlled by the separation of walls and doors?

I didn't see any where in the article where the toilet bowl was used as a sink for washing food.

Its not a restaurant so I couldn't care less what they do.