Author Topic: Americans With High Blood Pressure Still Eating Too Much Salt  (Read 1210 times)

rangerrebew

Americans With High Blood Pressure Still Eating Too Much Salt
Average sodium intake more than double the recommended daily limit for these patients, study finds
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
HealthDay news image

WEDNESDAY, March 8, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- For Americans with high blood pressure, cutting back on salt is an important way to help keep the condition under control. Yet, new research shows that these patients are getting more salt in their diet than they did in 1999.

Between 1999 and 2012, salt (sodium) consumption rose from about 2,900 milligrams a day (mg/day) to 3,350 mg/day. That's more than double the ideal upper limit of 1,500 mg/day of sodium recommended by the American Heart Association for people with high blood pressure (or "hypertension").

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_163977.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:55:53 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Americans With High Blood Pressure Still Eating Too Much Salt
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:43:46 pm »
Intriguing. My first question would be - why the change?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:12:18 am »
Intriguing. My first question would be - why the change?
Not sure, But I would guess that the proliferation and consumption of energy drinks may play a part. Us old timers got our caffeine the old fashioned way, from coffee, but there are so many young people and teens that consume energy drinks that are loaded with all sorts of stuff including  a high sodium content.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:35:41 am »
Salt doesn't give you long term high blood pressure.

Carbs do, junk carbs especially.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:31:49 am »
Cheap low protein food needs a lot of salt to give it flavor.

I think dietary science has a long ways to go.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 11:09:42 am »

I eat pretty much what I want including more salt than I need but I actually eat pretty decent overall. Last night it was homemade egg McMuffins and broccoli.

I had my blood pressure checked just last week at the dentist's office. It was 137 over 82 which isn't bad for a 52 year old.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:31:59 pm »
I eat pretty much what I want including more salt than I need but I actually eat pretty decent overall. Last night it was homemade egg McMuffins and broccoli.

I had my blood pressure checked just last week at the dentist's office. It was 137 over 82 which isn't bad for a 52 year old.

That actually isn't that great. At 90 for the lower number you will be asked to take medication to lower your blood pressure. I was 52 with slightly lower blood pressure (high 120's over high 70's) and a total cholesterol of about 150 when I had a heart attack...

Something interesting is I started drinking 8 oz Pomegranate juice a day and my blood pressure has gone to around the mid 110's over high 60's. That's not an insignificant change.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 09:42:34 pm »
That actually isn't that great. At 90 for the lower number you will be asked to take medication to lower your blood pressure. I was 52 with slightly lower blood pressure (high 120's over high 70's) and a total cholesterol of about 150 when I had a heart attack...

Something interesting is I started drinking 8 oz Pomegranate juice a day and my blood pressure has gone to around the mid 110's over high 60's. That's not an insignificant change.

Yet the actual doctors I've seen over the past 6 months have all said it was a touch high but nothing to be concerned about.

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 11:14:56 pm »
Yet the actual doctors I've seen over the past 6 months have all said it was a touch high but nothing to be concerned about.

That may well be true. Just telling you my experience. 90 is the the threshold for treatment. You should get your own blood pressure monitor and check it from time to time as it varies throughout the day. Some peoples pressure goes up just going to the doctor so what they measure in the office may not be very accurate for that person...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:20:32 pm »

Is the juice sugary? Sugar is a huge trigger for me.

I think a lot of this stuff is genetic.

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 11:34:59 pm »

Is the juice sugary? Sugar is a huge trigger for me.

I think a lot of this stuff is genetic.

Pomegranate does have a lot of natural sugar (I only buy 100% pomegranate juice with no added anything), but I will say this: If I eat a single Oreo cookie I can feel the sugar rush. I don't feel the sugar rush at all with pure pomegranate juice. So there's something different on how the sugar is metabolized. If your interested I would simply give it a go and see how it affects you.

I'll add, it doesn't taste very sweet. The taste is intense and is something you typically sip - but I like it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:38:08 pm by DB »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 11:49:09 pm »
That may well be true. Just telling you my experience. 90 is the the threshold for treatment. You should get your own blood pressure monitor and check it from time to time as it varies throughout the day. Some peoples pressure goes up just going to the doctor so what they measure in the office may not be very accurate for that person...

They're getting a pretty good tracking sample on me over the past 6 months. My doctor and my Ophthalmologist are both in the same building as part of University of Michigan health care system. They check my blood pressure every time I walk into the building which is about 3 times in the past 6 months. About a month ago I went to Hillsdale Hospital emergency room on a Sunday evening for pain killers and antibiotic due to an abscessed tooth (that was my highest BP reading probably due to the infection and stress of being in pain) Then I got another BP reading 11 days later at the dentist's office then again last Friday when I had 2 teeth pulled. I'll be getting checked again Tuesday when I go back to the dentist. I have another appointment with the Ophthalmologist in April so he'll get me again there.

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 12:11:47 am »
Pomegranate does have a lot of natural sugar (I only buy 100% pomegranate juice with no added anything), but I will say this: If I eat a single Oreo cookie I can feel the sugar rush. I don't feel the sugar rush at all with pure pomegranate juice. So there's something different on how the sugar is metabolized. If your interested I would simply give it a go and see how it affects you.

I'll add, it doesn't taste very sweet. The taste is intense and is something you typically sip - but I like it.

@DB

Read up about fructose (fruit sugar).  It's really no better for you than white table sugar, especially when it's in concentrated form, like juice.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:13:55 am by CatherineofAragon »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 12:28:43 am »
@DB

Read up about fructose (fruit sugar).  It's really no better for you than white table sugar, especially when it's in concentrated form, like juice.

I eat a lot of fruit. Primarily apples, oranges and grapes. I occasional buy a bunch of bananas. I also eat a lot of wild fruit during the summer. Raspberries, Blackberries, grapes and pin cherries are everywhere around here The grapes are sour and mostly seed but I eat them and spit out the seeds anyway. The pin cherries are black and sweet but also mostly pit.

Offline DB

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 12:41:38 am »
@DB

Everything has its trade-offs. The benefits of pomegranate far exceed the added sugar for me. And my experience is what it is, for whatever reason.

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 12:43:08 am »
I eat a lot of fruit. Primarily apples, oranges and grapes. I occasional buy a bunch of bananas. I also eat a lot of wild fruit during the summer. Raspberries, Blackberries, grapes and pin cherries are everywhere around here The grapes are sour and mostly seed but I eat them and spit out the seeds anyway. The pin cherries are black and sweet but also mostly pit.

@Cripplecreek

From what I've been reading, the fruit itself is okay.  It's just the juice that is so concentrated and carb heavy.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 12:45:54 am »
@Cripplecreek

From what I've been reading, the fruit itself is okay.  It's just the juice that is so concentrated and carb heavy.

The only fruit juice I ever drink is grapefruit juice.

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 12:45:56 am »
Everything has its trade-offs. The benefits of pomegranate far exceed the added sugar for me. And my experience is what it is, for whatever reason.

@DB

Yep, I agree.  We all have our circumstances and experiences we know to be valid.

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:35 am »
The only fruit juice I ever drink is grapefruit juice.

@Cripplecreek

I love that stuff.  So did my father.  My mom couldn't stand it.  Sour is good, lol.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 12:53:34 am »

Bingo!!
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 12:58:20 am »
@Cripplecreek

I love that stuff.  So did my father.  My mom couldn't stand it.  Sour is good, lol.

Yup unsweetened only.