Author Topic: Frontline: Divided States of America  (Read 4615 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Frontline: Divided States of America
« on: March 11, 2017, 05:27:29 pm »
The PBS tv show "Frontline" recently ran a "Independent Lens" series titled "Divided States of America" that I recorded,and just got around to viewing. This is a VERY balanced piece of video journalism that covers and explains the events that came about as a result of Obama being elected President with the apparent help of what passes for a Republican Party.

It starts with the lame alleged (MY word) attempt of McLunatic to run against him,and shows lots of examples of McLunatic sounding more like a Obama supporter than opponent.   At times it sounds like he is actually campaigning for Obomber.

It also takes a VERY fair and unbiased look at the emergence of Palin and how this came as a surprise and horror for McLunatic and his backers,as she became more popular than him.

To ME,one big highlight,and one I had forgotten,is that Palin was probably the one person most responsible for the desertion of the rank and file conservative Republicans from the Party of Bush and McLunatic,and the creation of the Tea Party. This happened IMHO because so many of her supporters were disgusted by the way she was treated and her conservative messages were demeaned as being idiotic by the political leadership of both parties,as well as the media political "intellectuals".

It also takes a VERY fair look at how the Party People of both the DNC and the RNC panicked at her popularity,and how they worked with the media to destroy her credibility  via Kommie Katie and SNL skits. Palin had the northeastern and left coast elites terrified.

McLunatic certainly played a role in demonizing Palin,also. He spoke more harshly about her on the campaign trail than he did Obama,and more often.

Yeah,she did herself no favors by playing to the stereotype created by Tina Fey on SNL after the election was over,but I remain convinced to this very day that if SHE had been the presidential candidate and McLunatic had been the VP candidate,that Obomber would have never been elected.

Then they go into what a colossal failure both Obama terms were,and how if was rife with black racism and how destructive Obama Care  was to the typical working-class American. The Rev-Rund Jerry Wright is given a prominent place in this segment.

It takes 3 hours to watch all the episodes,but I found it all to be very informative as well as entertaining.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: Frontline: Divided States of America
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:46:37 am »
I occasionally check out Frontline but find myself analyzing the way in which they present their stories instead of paying attention to the actual information being presented.  Doing so is a bit of a Catch 22.  If my impression turns out to be that the piece was relatively balanced then I kick myself for missing out.  I don't really remember what they said.

In reality this is a "me" problem.  Going in with an open mind is almost always a better approach.  Kind of like checking out a comedy on Netflix, if I like it and it is entertaining I'll keep watching.  But by making the assumption the Frontine episode is more than likely tap dancing around the truth I'm never really giving them a chance, until it's too late.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:58:16 am »
Is there a link to it?

I find your report a bit shocking!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:51:47 am »
I occasionally check out Frontline but find myself analyzing the way in which they present their stories instead of paying attention to the actual information being presented.  Doing so is a bit of a Catch 22.  If my impression turns out to be that the piece was relatively balanced then I kick myself for missing out.  I don't really remember what they said.

In reality this is a "me" problem.

@hondo68

There are a  LOT of us that are members in that club. Hard to not be a little jaded and on guard after a lifetime of being manipulated and lied to by the media.

Going in with an open mind is almost always a better approach

Yeah,it is,but being imperfect is being human. It may even be what humans do best. Recognizing that is the essential step to overcoming it and approaching new things with an open mind. After all,you can always watch the whole thing and if it is slanted you get to feel proud of yourself for being right all along.

But by making the assumption the Frontine episode is more than likely tap dancing around the truth I'm never really giving them a chance, until it's too late.

On the other hand,you can also watch things with an open mind and hoping to be pleasantly surprised,and then be proud of yourself for giving it a chance.

Win/win either way.

Some "wins" can even be a little painful. For example,watching a episode that supports the leftist POV,but going into it in depth and explaining WHY they take that  POV can sometimes cause us to admit that SOMETIMES they just MIGHT have a minor point to make. It's never easy to give up your personal biases,regardless of who you are,but it does give you an opening to honest debate with someone from the left that has only taken a "surface look" at the situation. You can agree with them that IN A PERFECT WORLD that POV MIGHT be for the betterment of mankind,but that it goes against human nature and will be corrupted and fail if it is ever implemented,and explain to them how and why this will happen.

After all,a good idea,no matter HOW good an idea it may be,is a bad idea if it doesn't work because it ends up being counter-productive.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:59:02 am by sneakypete »

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:36:08 pm »
After all,a good idea,no matter HOW good an idea it may be,is a bad idea if it doesn't work because it ends up being counter-productive.

You definitely make some good points.  Getting closer to win/win situations as often as possible keeps my brain from hurting so often.

----

Shows like Frontline can have value in that they pull out a magnifying glass to examine events we have all experienced.  An episode about Enron, for example, might detail how the State of California was desperate to buy electricity on the open market.  And they might also detail how California felt they were being overcharged for what was the "going rate" on the open market.  But they fall short in that they will skip over the reason why California was forced to go outside the state and buy their electricity in the first place.  It is the equivalent of telling a joke but omitting the punch line.

In short, they may do a good job on the Who, What, When and Where, but leave the Why out of the picture completely.  I find this troubling.

On one hand, these types of shows are doing the job journalists are supposed to be doing anyway, but they don't anymore.  So you could say they are filling in an information gap, territory abandoned by traditional journalism.  Their magnifying glass would never be needed if we had true widespread journalism in this country.

On the other hand it irks me that that do not connect all the dots.  If they are going to go through all the trouble of presenting an "in depth look" at a subject they should use their magnifying glass to the full extent.  But they don't.

It also takes a VERY fair look at how the Party People of both the DNC and the RNC panicked at her popularity,and how they worked with the media to destroy her credibility  via Kommie Katie and SNL skits. Palin had the northeastern and left coast elites terrified.

It's one thing to point out that Palin had the power elites of both parties terrified.  Doing so inches a step closer to the truth.  But why were the elites terrified?

I know why they were terrified, the producers at Frontline know why they were terrified, but I'll bet good money they magically omitted that tasty little morsel from their piece.  And I haven't even seen the show.  Yet I'm willing to put my own money on the line that they stopped short of connecting the dots.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:46:19 pm »
@Hondo69

Shows like Frontline can have value in that they pull out a magnifying glass to examine events we have all experienced.  An episode about Enron, for example, might detail how the State of California was desperate to buy electricity on the open market.  And they might also detail how California felt they were being overcharged for what was the "going rate" on the open market.  But they fall short in that they will skip over the reason why California was forced to go outside the state and buy their electricity in the first place.  It is the equivalent of telling a joke but omitting the punch line.

In short, they may do a good job on the Who, What, When and Where, but leave the Why out of the picture completely.  I find this troubling.

That is sometimes true,and sometimes it isn't. Frontline doesn't have a "tame" cast of characters. Different producers,different reporters,different POV's with each program. From a political POV mindset,it's pretty hit and miss. One time you might be throwing stuff at the tv while foaming at the mouth,and the next show might have you applauding. The one thing EVERY Frontline broadcast I have ever watched shares is they show all sides of an argument,even if the producers of that segment seem to be biased to one side. They always educate you and they always make you think. Which are good things. Even when it is the "enemy" POV being promoted. After all,there is much to be said in favor of the enemy telling us what they are thinking and doing.

On one hand, these types of shows are doing the job journalists are supposed to be doing anyway, but they don't anymore.  So you could say they are filling in an information gap, territory abandoned by traditional journalism.  Their magnifying glass would never be needed if we had true widespread journalism in this country.

AMEN,brother,AMEN!  The sad,sad truth is that if it weren't for public tv,there would never be any balance broadcast,and definitely nothing that was contrary to the message the mainstream media broadcasts. The truth no longer sells.

If they are going to go through all the trouble of presenting an "in depth look" at a subject they should use their magnifying glass to the full extent.  But they don't.

They don't have the time. Most of their broadcasts are 1 hour shows. Sometimes 2 hours,but that's about it.

On the other hand it irks me that that do not connect all the dots.

Not me. I want to connect my own damn dots,thank you very much! I just want someone to point out where the water is occasionally. I'll do my own drinking. Besides,as I wrote above,they only have 1 or 2 hour shows. IMNSHO,better to tell us where the dots are and let us connect them ourselves than to leave any unidentified.

It's one thing to point out that Palin had the power elites of both parties terrified.  Doing so inches a step closer to the truth.  But why were the elites terrified?

I know why they were terrified, the producers at Frontline know why they were terrified, but I'll bet good money they magically omitted that tasty little morsel from their piece.  And I haven't even seen the show.  Yet I'm willing to put my own money on the line that they stopped short of connecting the dots.

Only a moron would fail to connect those obvious dots,and who the hell cares if a moron is informed or not? After all,they are morons.

And one of the basic truths of reality is people that connect the dots themselves are more prone to take it seriously than people that don't think and just have it all handed to them.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 06:10:14 pm »
Saw a Youtube channel with several Frantline episodes, for us cable cutters
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 10:59:50 pm »
Saw a Youtube channel with several Frantline episodes, for us cable cutters

@truth_seeker

You don't even need a internet connection. Just a high-definition tv antenna. I bought a RCA HD antenna a couple of years ago,and pull in between 39 and 43 channels,depending on how it is pointed. 6 of them are PBS stations,and the closest broadcast tower is 55 miles away for any station I get.

Antenna cost me 43 bucks on Amazon,but it's up to around 60 bucks now. Made in America,too!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 11:29:20 pm »
@truth_seeker

You don't even need a internet connection. Just a high-definition tv antenna. I bought a RCA HD antenna a couple of years ago,and pull in between 39 and 43 channels,depending on how it is pointed. 6 of them are PBS stations,and the closest broadcast tower is 55 miles away for any station I get.

Antenna cost me 43 bucks on Amazon,but it's up to around 60 bucks now. Made in America,too!

Yes I know. I live in the Lost Angeles metro and we have far too many channels.  Just got my antenna sort of finalized for now, with many PBS channels.

Before the antenna got dialed in, I used YouTube for documentaries, and Frontline has a channel there, too

BTW some websites offer the antenna I got for around $70, but mine came from Fry's electronics for about $16. Played with it inside the garage up high, with poor results. Put it  higher outside on the chimney and it works great.

Gotta hand it to my two brothers-in-law for helping. One used to install for cable companies.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:19:57 am »
That is sometimes true,and sometimes it isn't. Frontline doesn't have a "tame" cast of characters. Different producers,different reporters,different POV's with each program. From a political POV mindset,it's pretty hit and miss. One time you might be throwing stuff at the tv while foaming at the mouth,and the next show might have you applauding. The one thing EVERY Frontline broadcast I have ever watched shares is they show all sides of an argument,even if the producers of that segment seem to be biased to one side. They always educate you and they always make you think. Which are good things. Even when it is the "enemy" POV being promoted. After all,there is much to be said in favor of the enemy telling us what they are thinking and doing.

I did not realize different groups produce each segment.  All these years I assumed a single entity was behind the production.  Thanks for pointing that out because it is a game changer in my opinion.  Funny how one little nugget of information can throw a whole new light on things.