Author Topic: Mayo, wings, butter: 'Fake milk' is the latest food fight  (Read 757 times)

rangerrebew

Mayo, wings, butter: 'Fake milk' is the latest food fight
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:22:56 pm »

Mayo, wings, butter: 'Fake milk' is the latest food fight

NEW YORK (AP) — Is "fake milk" spoiling the dairy industry's image?

Dairy producers are calling for a crackdown on the almond, soy and rice "milks" they say are masquerading as the real thing and cloud the meaning of milk. A group that advocates for plant-based products, the Good Food Institute, countered this week by asking the Food and Drug Administration to say terms such as "milk" and "sausage" can be used as long as they're modified to make clear what's in them.

It's the latest dispute about what makes a food authentic, many of them stemming from developments in manufacturing practices and specialized diets.

DiGiorno's frozen chicken "wyngz" were fodder for comedian Stephen Colbert. An eggless spread provoked the ire of egg producers by calling itself "mayo." And as far back as the 1880s, margarine was dismissed as "counterfeit butter" by a Wisconsin lawmaker.

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/mayo-wings-butter-fake-milk-latest-food-fight

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Mayo, wings, butter: 'Fake milk' is the latest food fight
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »
If it didn't come out of a teat, it isn't milk. Almonds aren't mammals, neither are soybeans.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:42:24 pm »
If it didn't come out of a teat, it isn't milk. Almonds aren't mammals, neither are soybeans.

What if it came out of a coconut?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:57:37 pm »
What if it came out of a coconut?
If that coconut has teats and feeds the milk to its young it's a mammal. Otherwise, no, whatever you call it, it isn't milk.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:26 pm »
If that coconut has teats and feeds the milk to its young it's a mammal. Otherwise, no, whatever you call it, it isn't milk.
What about a nice pair of coconuts?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 04:16:31 pm »

I suppose that was inevitable....

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 05:41:35 pm »

:silly: :silly:
 :beer:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:42:54 pm »
Sorry, anything that hard would have to be imPLANTS.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 03:42:38 am »
Sorry, anything that hard would have to be imPLANTS.
Since I'm lactose intolerant Almond Milk has been a godsend.  It's actually quite good.  Guess they'll be renaming it now....oh great.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 03:48:15 am »
Since I'm lactose intolerant Almond Milk has been a godsend.  It's actually quite good.  Guess they'll be renaming it now....oh great.
All they have to do is put the word 'substitute' underneath "Almond Milk". It will be the same stuff whatever they call it, and I'd wager the manufacturer will make it easy enough for those who like it to find it.
I do see where confining the term "milk" to actual animal products, labeled by animal, at least preserves some meaning for the word "milk". Otherwise, someone could dump chalk dust in water and call it "rock milk" (with more calcium!), and your kid could come home telling you they learned soybeans were mammals..

C S Lewis