Author Topic: Cops: Vandals Didn't Topple Headstones at Jewish Cemetery  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Cops: Vandals Didn't Topple Headstones at Jewish Cemetery
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:56 pm »
NOTE Point of information (I had to look it up) "barn find" refers to old cars in storage as in "covered with a tarp in an old barn for decades".

On this whole topic, I and most of my fambly think that cemeteries with grave stones and the like is  a custom which should be discontinued. If there is anything which continues after death such as a soul it doesn't seem that it could be connected to the remains of the material body in any substantive way. So that real estate should rightly be devoted to the living.

I understand honoring the dead and fully endorse cherishing and preserving their memory. But it seems to me that there is a better way to do that than taking up land that might be utilized for more practical purposes.

Besides there are things like what happened in the Shining, Poltergeist  and other horror movies to consider. Neh?

I love cemetaries. I think there's nothing wrong with setting aside some land as a memorial. It's better than developing everything.

Not everything in life should be developed IMO.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 09:56:49 pm »
NOTE Point of information (I had to look it up) "barn find" refers to old cars in storage as in "covered with a tarp in an old barn for decades".

They're rarely covered with tarps. Last two I bought were so covered in owl shit and slate dust you couldn't tell what they were.

Offline thackney

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 09:56:52 pm »
On this whole topic, I and most of my fambly think that cemeteries with grave stones and the like is  a custom which should be discontinued. If there is anything which continues after death such as a soul it doesn't seem that it could be connected to the remains of the material body in any substantive way. So that real estate should rightly be devoted to the living.

It is only for the living.  The dead don't care.  The living do it as a place to go to remember, then leave to forget.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Wingnut

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 10:05:32 pm »
They're rarely covered with tarps. Last two I bought were so covered in owl shit and slate dust you couldn't tell what they were.

Amen to that.  Also....they are home to every rodent known to man.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:05:51 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 10:29:19 pm »
It is only for the living.  The dead don't care.  The living do it as a place to go to remember, then leave to forget.

To me its a physical tie and actual touchstone into my roots. My grandparents and great grandparents are all buried together in the town where I grew up. In fact they're buried less than 50 yards from my grandparent's house (Cousin's now) and for the last 50 years of my life that house was the single most permanent fixture in my life. The cemetery right next door became another solid fixture. I grew up loving cemeteries.

I think they should be more like parks. I think it would be cool to have a large plot with a picnic table for a tombstone.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 03:46:42 am »
I think they should be more like parks. I think it would be cool to have a large plot with a picnic table for a tombstone.

I used to go on cemetery tours in various places. I recall one woman having a table and benches for having lunch on her grave, like you suggest. If I'm remember ing correctly, it was behind the old Christ Church in Dover, Delaware.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »
Slightly off topic, but I just noticed something...does the actress in this screen shot look a LOT like Megyn Kelly or is it just me !?!
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 03:19:10 pm »
Slightly off topic, but I just noticed something...does the actress in this screen shot look a LOT like Megyn Kelly or is it just me !?!

Little known fact: the skeletons they used in Poltergeist? 100% real.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 04:30:28 pm »

Little known fact: the skeletons they used in Poltergeist? 100% real.

Maybe that explains the Poltergeist Curse. Four of the actors (including two under 30 years) and one of the directors died after making the film. One of the young female actresses was murdered by an ex-boyfriend and the child actor died suddenly from sepsis within 24 hours after appearing to be totally healthy.

Offline verga

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »
That's why I plan on being burned and put in an urn. It will also keep me from being raped when I am dead or being Re-animated by some college age MD.
@Frank Cannon Don 't forget the Zombie Apocalypse.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:12 pm »
That's why I plan on being burned and put in an urn. It will also keep me from being raped when I am dead or being Re-animated by some college age MD.

Why does that thought bother you?  It would just be a husk, no?

If Doogie could get my remains walking around, more power to him!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 01:43:26 am »
There's an old cemetery (most recent grave I've seen is 1954) a few streets away in which some of the stones have toppled over due to the ground settling. It's built on a sloping hill, perhaps that's got something to do with it...

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 01:49:33 am »
There's an old cemetery (most recent grave I've seen is 1954) a few streets away in which some of the stones have toppled over due to the ground settling. It's built on a sloping hill, perhaps that's got something to do with it...

Well, the article said that the cemetery workers reportedly stated that they set the corroded ones down deliberately so that they would not fall over and be damaged more than they already were until something could be done to fix the problem. Someone (LEO?) who did the initial report that was picked up by the national press failed to do a thorough investigation apparently. 'Would have been prudent to interview the grounds keepers, neh?